Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Tyres?

shorty1000

Hi All,

The time has arrived when I need to put 2 new tyres on the rear of my 2001 mr2 Roadser 205/50 R15s, Everybody and their dog seams to be trying to sell me Pirelli p6000s ( must have a lot of stock!) but reading the reviews on the internet, it appears that they are more likely to put me into a ditch than keep me on the straight and narrow. I do a lot of milage 20k+ per year, but it's mainly motorway. We all know that MR's are twitchy at best in the wet, Can anyone suggest a good tyre for the roadster? Thanks

I'm sure people will have their favorites and Davy (cfc1) has the best knowledge on tyres here ;)

My personal choice is what has been on the car since new, "Yoko's", they are not the longest wearing tyre but as far as grip goes they have never let me down. :yes:

What ever your decision DONT! mix makes on front and rear or you will end up finding ditches the hard way :shutit:

Les

We all know that MR's are twitchy at best in the wet, Can anyone suggest a good tyre for the roadster? Thanks
What ever your decision DONT! mix makes on front and rear or you will end up finding ditches the hard way :!Removed!:

Les

As you have allready said, MR's are indeed twitchy in the wet at the best of times and Les has correctly pointed out that it really isn't a good idea to mix the tyres, with this in mind it is probably bet to go with the same make and model of tyre you have on the front, however if that isn't possible for whatever reason and you can't quite streatch to getting 4 new tyres at the moment (what with Christmas just being round the corner) I would opt for...

Toyo T1-r,

Goodyear GSD3

Yokohama

Bridgestone RE040

These are tyres that I personaly have found to be very good, although every driver/car is different and what works well for one person may not work as well for another.

If you have to mix your brands then be very carefull, especially in the wet... snap oversteer will take you by surprise and you could end up in a ditch etc etc.

• 3 months later...

Car came with Dunlops, not sure how fresh they were but ended up going backwards a bit too easy.

Toyo Proxes all round - great grip now...

Car came with Dunlops, not sure how fresh they were but ended up going backwards a bit too easy.

Toyo Proxes all round - great grip now...

Yeah, the Toyos are highly rated tyres.Important to have same tyres all round as well.

I've still got the OEM Bridgestones on mine,very happy with them

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys,

Any specifics on the Yoko's? I've only ever heard good things and am thinking they will be my choice for tyre change soon.

Also I think this thread should be added to the "Technical Information Hints & Tips" list as I bet its quite a FAQ.

Many thanks,

• 4 months later...

I was reading about the Toyo T1-Rs and people were saying there was a lot of flex in the sidewalls? I've been experiencing this with the P6000s and don't really want another tyre that's like that. There is a corner on my way to work which really shows the p6000s up in this respect, it feels like I strafe sideways round it, even in the driest conditions, its like the body is rolling.

Now the weathers changed I've lost all my confidence because the front end doesn't really feel like its got much grip, turning the wheel it just feels so loose compared to when it was warm. Not planted at all. The back end doesn't seem as bad in this respect, but I'm sure I could find a hedge with some spirited driving no problems.

I was looking at the Vredestein Sportrac 3's as I've seen some positive reviews, but, not enough to be confident about. Where as the T1-Rs have a lot of positive reviews. But then some extremely negative ones about the sidewalls. From what I understand they now have reinforced sidewalls to address this criticism.

A friend of mine has Continental Premium Contact 2's on his Focus and has never come unstuck even though he drives like a loon. These are a little pricier than other tyres, but I wonder if they may be well worth it.

Another friend has Uniroyal Rainsport 2s, and they sound magnificent, unfortunately, they do not come in the right sizes for the MR2 (can't remember which isn't available, front or back).

Can anyone shed more light on tyres for British roads and the MR2, like which Yoko's your running Les?

Hi Bob,

I've been happy with Bridgestone RE040 (the original tyre fitted to my '03 model). If I push the car hard on a tight bend I can get the back end to 'step out' but it's predictable and easily corrected. I've driven some hairpin routes through the Alps and always found the tyres grippy. Whatever you go for I believe you need four matching boots (same make & model of tyre) on the MR2 Roadster. I only hold this opinion for the Roadster...as on our other car (and all the ones I've owned in the past) I've only bothered using a matching pairs on each axle...whilst often mixing brands between the two axles - without any noticable problems.

In my youth, as a keen rally club member, I could get through four sets of front tyres on my mini Cooper in a year - now with my "grey hair" factor I find a set lasts almost 3 years - oh the shame!! :rolleyes:

Dave

I have run Kumho KU-31 on my last three cars, my other half does on her MR2 too and we both rate them. -especialy when it comes to wet weather predicability.

The only reason most people discredit them is the brand name. FAR better than the Conti sport contact M3s, and Pilot Ps2s I ran before. Also proved to be better then TR-1s in heavy standing water at the 'ring.

They are not great at sub zero tempertures though as thye are a "summer" Tyre. I also found they over heated a little at the rear after two aggressive back to back warm dry laps at the ring, but they were being very heavily abused... and after all they are half the price of PS2s and sport contact M3s.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links