Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Wiper Motor Not Working

dave dee

Hi All.

I thought I'd re-post my earlier topic with a different heading just in case it looked like I meant the wiper wasn't cleaning properly (as is common in the Yaris) and the topic was "body swerved"!

When switched on,the rear wiper on my wifes Yaris only goes up to the vertical and then stops.The motor will continue to run but the arm won't go back down.With a gentle nudge, it will go back down, then back up and stops again.

I've tried it with the arm away from the glass (as for washing) but it's still the same. I wouldn't mind so much, but the wiper DOES clear the window and the Mrs. does have a habit of using it.

Any suggestions would be great.

David

• 3 months later...

Hi All.

I thought I'd re-post my earlier topic with a different heading just in case it looked like I meant the wiper wasn't cleaning properly (as is common in the Yaris) and the topic was "body swerved"!

When switched on,the rear wiper on my wifes Yaris only goes up to the vertical and then stops.The motor will continue to run but the arm won't go back down.With a gentle nudge, it will go back down, then back up and stops again.

I've tried it with the arm away from the glass (as for washing) but it's still the same. I wouldn't mind so much, but the wiper DOES clear the window and the Mrs. does have a habit of using it.

Any suggestions would be great.

David

I'm having the same problem, if anyone has a answer

• 1 month later...

Hi.

i had this exact problem on my 2001 yaris.

the reason is because the main gear inside the motor is plastic, and if the wiper siezes or sticks the electric motor worm gear will 'eat' a nice groove in the plastic main gear. so the gear (and wiper) will turn until it reaches this groove then stop.

to solve it i took the motor apart, put some washers under the main plastic gear to raise it a mm or two higher, so that the motors worm gear now engaged with fresh uneaten plastic gear bits! filled it with grease, put it all back together with a couple more spacer washers under the cover and its worked for 2 years now.

the less complex solution is to buy a replacement motor on eBay!

regards and great site, - y2001

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links