Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New (to Me) 56 T180

stevenson

Hello everyone - this forum is startlingly useful for an owner new to RAV4's and Toyota.

I bought a 28k mile T180 last week from a Toyota dealer. The price was good in relation to Parker's and the car is in very good condition inside and out. The only sign of use was the tyres and the cabin filter. I got them to replace the front tyres for 320 greenies - not bad eh? I only bought such a complex car because there is a year left on the warranty.

I like it, though the only '4x4' I have owned before was a series 1 Landrover, so that's not a surprise (Subaru Legacy doesn't count). It is very refined, except I feel the gearbox linkage seems a little clunky. The power (turbo?) surge at around 1800 rpm takes some getting used to, and the hill assist brake operation sometimes releases noisily/reluctantly.

Questions in no particular order:

Are those observations above about right?

Are the stalk controls unlit?

Can anyone tell me who the original manufacturer of the Toyota towbar is and the correct model (detachable) - I am going to fit one using the Toyota wiring harness - a dealer doing it was quoted at 870 pounds.

Can't think of any more right now.

Will post towbar experiences when done - as a contribution to this great site.

Stevenson

Welcome to the club Stevenson :thumbsup:

Your observations are about right, I found the gearbox took a bit of getting used to and with so many unlit controls you'll get used to doing things by touch and feel! :lol:

I don't have a tow bar on mine, but a few members have fitted them so I'm sure they will be able to help :)

Yea thats about right, t180's are a bit savage, yes it does take a bit of getting used to.

If you baby the throttle you won't get it, it has got 400nm of torque after all! Theres a guy on here anchorman who knows loads about the RAV and gears. I maybe wrong but i think the t180 has slightly different gearboxes. If i'm right the difference could have something to do with the extra power / torque management. Something to do with synchromesh. It does feel notchy but i have asked toyota and others have said this is normal, normally loosens up when warm.

Great car, we have a 2.2 XTR but i have the t180 in the auris and have loved it for the 2 years i owned it so far.

Can't help on the towbar i'm afraid.

All the RAVs have the same box (so do Auris and Avensis if it has a 2.2 diesel and 6 speed box but they just have a closure plate where the transfer box would attach). They have triple synchromesh on 1st 2nd and 3rd but are still notchy. You do get used to them with time. I don't have a T180 so you have to take the advice from above.

My mate has just bought a new Honda CRV and ALL the switches are illuminated (dash, stalks and doors). Very few are in the RAV. Toyota designers must eat lots of carrots.

What do you mean by the hill assist is noisy?

I think the OES supplier of the towbar and plug in electrics is Link but I'm sure somebody will confirm.

Fitting instructions (detachable);

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/legacy/To...00%20461-10.pdf

fixed;

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/legacy/To...000%20460-7.pdf

flanged;

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/legacy/To...000%20462-7.pdf

wiring (12N);

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/legacy/To...000%20386-1.pdf

12S;

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/legacy/To...000%20387-1.pdf

We have a resident parts man that will supply discounted parts to your home. Search for Parts_King

BTW - welcome to the club and congrats on your new RAV.

Hello everyone - this forum is startlingly useful for an owner new to RAV4's and Toyota.

I bought a 28k mile T180 last week from a Toyota dealer. The price was good in relation to Parker's and the car is in very good condition inside and out. The only sign of use was the tyres and the cabin filter. I got them to replace the front tyres for 320 greenies - not bad eh? I only bought such a complex car because there is a year left on the warranty.

I like it, though the only '4x4' I have owned before was a series 1 Landrover, so that's not a surprise (Subaru Legacy doesn't count). It is very refined, except I feel the gearbox linkage seems a little clunky. The power (turbo?) surge at around 1800 rpm takes some getting used to, and the hill assist brake operation sometimes releases noisily/reluctantly.

Can anyone tell me who the original manufacturer of the Toyota towbar is and the correct model (detachable) - I am going to fit one using the Toyota wiring harness - a dealer doing it was quoted at 870 pounds.

Stevenson

HI Mate, the oem towbar is a brinks + I was quoted £375 supplied + fitted with twin electrics, this did not include using the toyota wiring loom which would have been extra..This quote was from indespension a couple of months ago, seemed consistant with other quotes (it was detachable) :thumbsup:

We bought a detachable Brink towbar from the main dealer and fitted it ourselves (see previous post on Towbar wiring) and saved a packet. However, if, as Local Hero says, you can get one fitted for £375 then you're not saving much on the price of the kit from Toyota.

Something else to consider is whether you fit twin 7-pin or single 13-pin electrics. If you are going to tow a caravan, obviously you need one or the other, and we have heard that in the UK there is a move away from the twin system to the single 13-pin which is the standard on mainland Europe. The advantage of the single socket is that, on the Brink system, the bracket on which it is mounted can be swung up out of sight and out of harm's way when not in use. You can't do this with the twin bracket. As the bracket is quite low, I much prefer to have it out of the way when I'm not towing and we have converted our initial twin system to the single 13-pin one. And if you have a UK caravan with twin electrics, you can easily convert it to 13-pin or buy an adapter, although the latter are a bit cumbersome.

We bought a detachable Brink towbar from the main dealer and fitted it ourselves (see previous post on Towbar wiring) and saved a packet. However, if, as Local Hero says, you can get one fitted for £375 then you're not saving much on the price of the kit from Toyota.

Something else to consider is whether you fit twin 7-pin or single 13-pin electrics. If you are going to tow a caravan, obviously you need one or the other, and we have heard that in the UK there is a move away from the twin system to the single 13-pin which is the standard on mainland Europe. The advantage of the single socket is that, on the Brink system, the bracket on which it is mounted can be swung up out of sight and out of harm's way when not in use. You can't do this with the twin bracket. As the bracket is quite low, I much prefer to have it out of the way when I'm not towing and we have converted our initial twin system to the single 13-pin one. And if you have a UK caravan with twin electrics, you can easily convert it to 13-pin or buy an adapter, although the latter are a bit cumbersome.

.......and just in case you follow Marias recommendation, 13 pin instructions;

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/legacy/To...000%20385-1.pdf

Stevenson

hahahaha

Oooops -0 a welcome to the forum!! And a nice car to have. Shame about the 5 doors but not much option I hear nowadays :lol: :lol:

You had a series I landrover and you find the RAV gearchange clunky!!! :eek: I've a series II and yet to find half of the gears!!! Gearchange is a novelty - you aim to find a downhill slope so the lump keeps moving forward whilst 2nd or 3rd gear is located :lol: :lol: :lol:

Refinement ? In a landrover? :wacko: :wacko: Its about as refined as floating down the Clyde in a paintpot. No rubbers on the doors or windscreen. When it rains, its wetter inside than outside. Someone should sue landrover for marking a lever as the heater - cos it aint. And dashboard/switch illumination only happens when the rain causes sparks to fly between wires behind the dash!!

Good luck with your car and I just know that you will enjoy the luxurious cruising!!! You will even get to your destination on the same day!!!

Stevenson

hahahaha

Oooops -0 a welcome to the forum!! And a nice car to have. Shame about the 5 doors but not much option I hear nowadays :lol: :lol:

You had a series I landrover and you find the RAV gearchange clunky!!! :eek: I've a series II and yet to find half of the gears!!! Gearchange is a novelty - you aim to find a downhill slope so the lump keeps moving forward whilst 2nd or 3rd gear is located :lol: :lol: :lol:

Refinement ? In a landrover? :wacko: :wacko: Its about as refined as floating down the Clyde in a paintpot. No rubbers on the doors or windscreen. When it rains, its wetter inside than outside. Someone should sue landrover for marking a lever as the heater - cos it aint. And dashboard/switch illumination only happens when the rain causes sparks to fly between wires behind the dash!!

Good luck with your car and I just know that you will enjoy the luxurious cruising!!! You will even get to your destination on the same day!!!

The T180 first to seccond gear is notchy, but the rest is just like a hot knife into butter, both up and down the gears, on my T180 at least.

The turbo does come in a bit suddenly now that I am using higher revs to change up. I have not yet found how to make the hill start work but I might just ask Anchorman to try it when we next meet up.

Yes and you do get used to the stalks not being lit, Eventually!!

Am sure that you will like it.

Guy

I'm not so sure about the original manufacturer of the T180 detachable bar. I have notes on my system to contact "Thule" in the event of a problem with the detachable lock (or do Thule just make the lock???)

Whoever makes it, the prices at time of writing are:

Tow Bar £353.44

Single wiring kit 12N £111.24

Plus Supplementary kit 12S £50.21

Discounts apply to the above prices if purchased from the :king:

As if the bar wasnt dear enough, the time to fit these products are:

Tow bar 2.0 hours

Single electrics 12N 2.4 Hours

Supplementary kit 12S ADDITIONAL 2.7 Hours

The wiring is pre-wired to block connectors that wire directly to the lamps, so no faffing around with scotch locks or the like, and ALL the wiring is run through the car, NOT underslung the body which is where the towbar companies usually fit them. You can see with the prices of the parts and the labour times, that you very quickly add up to £800 plus pounds. I have seen our guys fit these and it does take most of the day to complete one

Kingo :thumbsup:

Stevenson

Firstly welcome to the forum, excellent place to come for help and tips.

Your observations are right. Just needs a little getting used to. I still ease away gently when starting cold, doesnt "clunk" so much in first and second. The stalk controls dont move so through time it will be second nature to find them in the dark!!

Cant say much about the tow bar as mine was fitted when I bought it.

Anyway great choice the T180, you will enjoy it !! By the way good price on your tyres, I had all 4 replaced today, now Iam £850 lighter!!!

To be fair indespension had a free fitting promo at the time, however i went to 2 other local companies who would match their quote, the dearest quote i had was for a westfalia tow bar around £450..Kingo is obviously right the Mr T wiring looms are £150 approx on top but all 3 companies offer lifetime warrantees, and assured me they do not use scotchlocks, TBH none of them could understand why you would use the Toyota loom as the wiring is apparently pretty straightforward.. :thumbsup:

Thankyou all for the welcoming, informative, and in one case, perplexing, replies.

I have just done a 1500km round trip and have got used to a few things.

I use the hill assist because it is there, but because (I think) it uses the auxiliary drum brakes, it releases on pulling away with a small shock (leading shoe design maybe?). I've got used to it.

The Toyota towbar seems to be made by Brinks, owned by Thule, but there is confusion about the model. Brinks say a vehicle with the number plate on the door should use a model 475400, whereas the Towbar and Trailercentre say it must be a 475600.

Can anyone tell me which is correct?

I read elsewhere on the site that Halfords do them, and (apologies to Parts-King) they are about 180 GBP.

In summary, I want the correct Toyota specified towbar but will not pay a premium, the correct Toyota harness, and will fit everything myself using Toyota's own procedures. There are others on the site who have done the same thing so I am encouraged I will get the right result.

Thanks again for help.

From Stevenson: I read elsewhere on the site that Halfords do them, and (apologies to Parts-King) they are about 180 GBP

Don't worry about it, I don't set the Toyota prices, I just have to communicate them :rolleyes:

I didnt think about Brinks/Thule being one and the same :thumbsup:

L_H I think the job is straight forward, except to say the Toyota wiring goes under the trims and carpeting, hence the time allowed. I dont see an independant doing that, they normally run the wiring under the car

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thankyou all for the welcoming, informative, and in one case, perplexing, replies.

I use the hill assist because it is there, but because (I think) it uses the auxiliary drum brakes, it releases on pulling away with a small shock (leading shoe design maybe?). I've got used to it.

The Toyota towbar seems to be made by Brinks, owned by Thule, but there is confusion about the model. Brinks say a vehicle with the number plate on the door should use a model 475400, whereas the Towbar and Trailercentre say it must be a 475600.

I read elsewhere on the site that Halfords do them, and (apologies to Parts-King) they are about 180 GBP.

In summary, I want the correct Toyota specified towbar but will not pay a premium, the correct Toyota harness, and will fit everything myself using Toyota's own procedures. There are others on the site who have done the same thing so I am encouraged I will get the right result.

Thanks again for help.

Don't take this as gospel, but the way i understand this, cars with a spare wheel on the back have no option but to have a detachable tow bar which is more expensive, as a fixed towbar would obscure the rear number plate.. with no spare wheel you have a choice as the No plate is not a problem. A member called Frank Ashworth has fitted a witter detachable tow bar + used the toyota wiring loom and if you do a search he posted some pics of this apparantly there is very little clearance beneath the rear door opening when hitched to a trailer in fact i am not sure you can open the rear door when hitched up.. anyway i am no expert just passing on information that i gleaned when thinking about buying a caravan (pre credit crunch) :crybaby:

The hill assist uses all 4 disc brakes. The idea is that if you get stuck in the snow or on rough ground there is less likelihood of the car rolling back with 4 brakes applied than with the 2 on the handbrake. When you press the brake the pressure is captured by the system and only needs enough pressure to keep the brake light on to hold it. When you release the clutch a switch is operated that signals the system to release the pressure and you can perform very smooth hill starts.

The parking brake is as you say a small drum brake inside the rear disc.

Thanks again for help.

Don't take this as gospel, but the way i understand this, cars with a spare wheel on the back have no option but to have a detachable tow bar which is more expensive, as a fixed towbar would obscure the rear number plate.. with no spare wheel you have a choice as the No plate is not a problem. A member called Frank Ashworth has fitted a witter detachable tow bar + used the toyota wiring loom and if you do a search he posted some pics of this apparantly there is very little clearance beneath the rear door opening when hitched to a trailer in fact i am not sure you can open the rear door when hitched up.. anyway i am no expert just passing on information that i gleaned when thinking about buying a caravan (pre credit crunch) :crybaby:

Uhhhh

the 4.1 can be fitted with a towbar and the door still opens and the number plate still shows........ :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links