Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Insuring a Starlet turbo

uts

not sure whether i should post this here or in another section. but can anyone tell me what insurance group is a starlet turbo? i have been told that they are insured the same as the normal NA starlets because the UK "database" does not have the turbo and since the car already have a turbo went it rolled off the production line, they cant take it as a modded car?

My question is, what insurance group is the Glanza/Starlet Turbo (EP-91)?!?!?!?

i know it sounds stupid, but i'm not convinced myself and i thought this would be the best place to ask!

A lot of people in Ireland do this but they have started to clamp down on it.

Your best to insure it as a Jap import (turbo) because if you insure it as a 1.3 and you crash or someone crashes into you then the insurance company WILL NOT PAY OUT. Which means you could end up paying thousands in the end, or worse.

I was quoted £430 for a 1.3 (fully comp) and the cheapest quote I got for the GT was £1000, it cost a lot more but at least I’m legal.

thanks for the reply. guess i have to save a load more!!!! :P

just thought of another question, how does insurance companies quote on cars who got an engine conversation?!?!

i wanna swap my lil NA 1.3 for a turbo'ed lump. and what other parts would i need to upgrade?!?!

i know i would need to upgrade the gearbox, clutch, brakes (would i need to have a rear brakes conversation as well? bear in mind i dont have back seats?). is there any other bits and bobs i need to upgrade as well?!?!?

I’d have thought the insurance would be dearer for a converted car.

What does having no back seats have to do with you needing bigger brakes?

I'm not too sure about the conversion but I think you can use your clutch and gearbox, for more info try here- Toyota GT Turbo.com

What does having no back seats have to do with you needing bigger brakes?

I meant rear brakes. i know i would need bigger brakes at the front, but not sure whether i would need a rear disc conversation at the back. since i have pretty much no weight at the back of the car. wouldn't the back of the car lift off under heavy braking if i had bigger brakes at the front? hence i said i have no back seats and nothing in the boot (not even a spare wheel!)

most of the weight would be in the front and the middle of the car (driver, passenger and ICE).

i know its sounds stupid, but it happened to me before in my mum's old car, the back end came out a lil under heavy braking. and that was with standard brakes and factory weight distribution.

sorry if i sound like a complete thicko, it was just something i thought of!!! i'm not that stupid generally!

king.gif

LOL I didn’t mean you where a thicko.

Have you got rear drums or discs?

If you’ve got drums then I’d say its definitely worth upgrading your rear brakes, I’ve took the seats out of my GT before and never had any problems. If anything you are more likely to understeer than oversteer with all the weight in the front.

What sort of car have you got?

I own an EP82 but you might have guessed that by my name. :D

The EP91 weighs more than the EP82, which makes the 0-60 slower; 8.0 sec compared to 6.9 sec. So if you put a 4EFTE engine in you would have to strip it just to get the same performance.

I own an EP82 but you might have guessed that by my name

Yeah, guessed that from ur first reply!!! lmao

0-60 in 8 seconds?!?! i've read it on a few web site saying they would do it in about 6.5ish! they are as quick as the honda ITRs.........so i read!

all the sites i've visited says the same thing; 960 Kgs, 133 BHP, 0-60 (in about) 6.5s blah blah blah etc.

*thinks to myself* need to do more reseach!!!

Glanzas are slower than the GT turbo, they weigh over 100 kgs more and the engine's exactly the same.

I’m not sure of the exact times but I think the 0-60 is around 8 seconds and the 1/4-mile is about 16 seconds, compared to 0-60 in 6.9 seconds and the 1/4-mile in 15.1 seconds for the GT turbo (EP82).

I might have to do some more research myself.

Maybe you can advise me ep82, i have an ep82 , (93 jap 1330 non turbo s thingy) What kinda of weight BHP etc would be on this? I know %$( all about this car, bar the 1330 cc 16v business (and when i bought i though it was 1300cc!) :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links