Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Interior Cleaning

abraxas

Short version: Anyone got a recommendation for a good interior cleaner/finisher (for a 4-3 RAV)?

Not-so-short version: We actually got a wee bit of sunshine today so I popped my sunglasses on <need a proper Fonzie-emoticon here> B) eyyyy! :) The glasses being of the polarised variety, I noticed that the dash on my 4.3 looks a bit different with them on. Cool. Except now I can see all the fingerprints /dirt marks and everything. Not cool! So I thought I'd clean it... except I don't know what with.

Now, I absolutely detest the silicone/greasy look (usually accompanied by a horrible sickly sweet smell) and think I'd like to get it back as close to "original" look as I can. That pretty much means: “matt”.

So I have spent some time agooglin' but don't seem to be getting consistent answers. Two things that seem to crop up often in my research are “303 Aerospace Protectant” and “1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium”. Someone also suggested looking at professional products from “Autosmart” but that seems to be trade only (and fleebay). Someone also suggested a “general cleaner” (floorcleaner) for matt finish. :eek:

So, I thought I'd ask the experts... I am...ummm... (What’s the PC word for “lazy” these days? :) ) and I most likely won’t be doing this very often. All I want is reasonably easily achieved clean/as close to new/factory finish.

While on the topic of lovely, clean interiors... anyone with a sensitive sinuses affliction and an opinion on an air freshener? Of course it should be non-toxic, hypo allergenic and organic :) Don’t ask.

Thanks!

PS I apologise in advance as this is likely to have been discussed in the past. I just don't seem to have much luck with the "search" feature.

I used Meguires leather cleaner on all the interior trim (it says it can be used for other than leather) but stopped sead at the facia. There is nothing worse than the dash reflecting in the glass and Toyota spend millions developing materials that don't reflect.

I use a clean microfibre cloth and nothing else. I met up with shcm recently and his car is absolutely immaculate inside and out. He doesn't use anything on the dash either. If you have a clean microfibre cloth just try it before you cough up for something more exotic.

Incidentally, evry second vacuum out (which is usually every second week) I use autoglym interior cleaner (green bottle) on my carpets. Vacuum them first then spray it on sparingly and evenly and leave it for 2 or 3 mins. Then I have an old scabby autoglym synthetic leather that has gone all fluffy and rough. Just damp it with warm water and give it a rub off;

IMG_1213-1.jpg

1. Domestos

2. White spirit

If neither works, claim yer insurance :lol:

1. Domestos

2. White spirit

If neither works, claim yer insurance :lol:

You going all posh on us mate??

Domestos and White spirit is a bit of a come down from the 'Spit and 80 Grit sandpaper' that you used to use !

( You've been taken in by the cult of domestic cleansers haven't you Bothy -

or should I say Mr Muscle? ) :P

I`m a hobby detailer(8 years experience) and use 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium, its by far the nicest matt factory finish and dead easy to use.

As far as air freshener goes I like to use Chemical Guys New Car Smell...

Mark

I have tried every kind of spray, gel, wipes etc and have come to the conclusion that its best just to wipe your dash with

a damp sponge :thumbsup:

I use leather wipes, sheraton, tesco value, armorall, armorall also do dash wipes, and most other products including a good tyre gel.I use a deodoriser as apposed to an air freshner, which neutralises smells instead of masking them, If anyone wants Autosmart products, we have a van comes to the Airport once a week These are operated on a franchise + if you see one anywhere they are usually more than glad to sell to the public, :thumbsup:

Ps Costco do bags of 30 decent microfibre cloths for about £11..

For a long time now I have been using very dilute solution of household Flash in warm water to clean all the plastic surfaces in my cars.

Used with a soft, lint free/microfibre cloth it leaves the surfaces as intended. It has a degreasing effect and is good for removing accumulated finger marks from switches and anything where hands have been. It seems to have an anti static effect too. I just wring the cloth out well and wipe over - it doesn't foam and does not need rinsing. It also leaves the car smelling fresh.

I do this every couple of months and have experienced no problems but it is worth checking on a small area for potential colour change if you are worried. I use it on leather too but always finish with a leather treatment to 'feed' the leather.

When I bought the car I was offered the 'Full Supaguard Treatment' and some floor mats for about £400. This I politely but firmly declined [salesman didn't make a lot out of me as I declined the GAP insurance too and had already negotiated a hefty discount on the car]

However, I did buy two cans of Scotchgard and two of Supaguard wheel finish, plus some Autoglym Carnauba wax off that well known auction site.

I can report that the carpets have stayed clean with just a normal vac every now and then and the Supaguard on the alloys is a revelation in terms off brake dust resistance and ease of cleaning. The wax leaves a fantastic shine and water simply runs off. I guess the whole lot cost about £60 and a half day [on and off to allow for interior carpets to dry after Scotchgard] to apply. The wax is really easy but the paint does need to be completely clean with no water marks as it will simply layer over them.

I would post a photo but the lanes around here are so muddy at present RAV looks a sh1tty mess.

One thing I am curious about is cleaning the tinted windows inside - are they actual tinted glass or is it an applied film?

I met up with shcm recently and his car is absolutely immaculate inside and out.

Kind of you to say. :thumbsup: However, think yours was in better condition that day, after mine had got the full works Staffordshire and Derbyshire road s**te valet. :lol:

...... and have come to the conclusion that its best just to wipe your dash with a damp sponge

Agree with you there Dave, or a slightly damp microfibre.

.....a word of warning on excessive cleaning. Too much and the dash will go transparent. :yes:. This was mine at 9am this morning..... :lol:

dash.jpg

Another project in progress!!!.....................

SHCM...Why the wheel disk lock still on........Did they just nick the dash...Been very clean and all......

Good God SHCM, at first glance i thought that was broken glass + someone had tried to have your stereo away, But now I see you've removed your dash.. For any particular reason? or were you just bored.. :unsure: I have to question why at 900hrs on the coldest day of the year you would decide to do this.. :arabia:

SHCM...Why the wheel disk lock still on........Did they just nick the dash...Been very clean and all......

Hey, thanks Chatman! I wondered why the steering was vague and why it couldn't get full lock. Stripped all that off just to get the EPS ECU, thinking it was that :lol:.

For any particular reason? or were you just bored.. :unsure: I have to question why at 900hrs on the coldest day of the year you would decide to do this.. :arabia:

When I was a kid I took all my toys apart 'cause I could. Now I'm a slightly bigger (only just) kid, I take all my toys apart 'cause I can. :rolleyes:

Been getting a bit of heater induced dash rattle for a while (no Bothy, I don't think it is the dieselly engine :rolleyes:). Now, I could chuck it at the dealer, but my preference it to have a look myself. Started late Sat afternoon, when it was slightly warmer. Finished this morning (hence the steering lock thingy being on overnight). Plus, you forget my RAV has secondary internal heating :yes:

Probably looks worse than it is. It all comes out and goes back relatively easily (well, I thought so anyway).

So, I've probably cured one squeek and created twenty more :D. It will be rattling like a sidewinder on speed now. :D.

Plus, I'm probably fruttier than a newt cake anyway. :yes::wacko::arabia::thumbsup:

Was it like an MFI kit.....Bet you have 3 screws left over.... ;) ;) ;) Now where do they go....

Hey, thanks Chatman! I wondered why the steering was vague and why it couldn't get full lock. Stripped all that off just to get the EPS ECU, thinking it was that :lol:.

For any particular reason? or were you just bored.. :unsure: I have to question why at 900hrs on the coldest day of the year you would decide to do this.. :arabia:

When I was a kid I took all my toys apart 'cause I could. Now I'm a slightly bigger (only just) kid, I take all my toys apart 'cause I can. :rolleyes:

Been getting a bit of heater induced dash rattle for a while (no Bothy, I don't think it is the dieselly engine :rolleyes:). Now, I could chuck it at the dealer, but my preference it to have a look myself. Started late Sat afternoon, when it was slightly warmer. Finished this morning (hence the steering lock thingy being on overnight). Plus, you forget my RAV has secondary internal heating :yes:

Probably looks worse than it is. It all comes out and goes back relatively easily (well, I thought so anyway).

So, I've probably cured one squeek and created twenty more :D. It will be rattling like a sidewinder on speed now. :D.

Plus, I'm probably fruttier than a newt cake anyway. :yes::wacko::arabia::thumbsup:

With me it was Sturmey Archer hub gears - heaven knows how many I took to bits before I got one back together. Got to say SCHM my first thought was someone had tried to get in through the windscreen, then I thought you'd knocked the stuffing out of it!

With me it was Sturmey Archer hub gears - heaven knows how many I took to bits before I got one back together. Got to say SCHM my first thought was someone had tried to get in through the windscreen, then I thought you'd knocked the stuffing out of it!

Just thought - you could give it a really good clean while you've got it stripped !

Was it like an MFI kit.....Bet you have 3 screws left over.... ;) ;) ;) Now where do they go....

......now where did this connector go?.....and what about this one?.......I know, just tie 'em together in a nice reef knot and job's a good 'un ;).

Self assembly flat pack furniture - Clearly it doesn't. I waited ages and it didn't move an inch. :unsure:

[With me it was Sturmey Archer hub gears - heaven knows how many I took to bits before I got one back together. Got to say SCHM my first thought was someone had tried to get in through the windscreen, then I thought you'd knocked the stuffing out of it!

blimey, just looked. When did they start making 5 and 8 speed ones?

Hope, they were all yours and you weren't "fixing" them for your mates :lol:. :thumbsup:

Just thought - you could give it a really good clean while you've got it stripped !

Oh, I did ;). It's now so clean, you could use it in a semiconductor factory. :yes:

Cheers, that rescued me, I was wondering how I was going to get this back on topic :thumbsup:

Anyway, I don't recommend ajax or vim. :rolleyes:

......now where did this connector go?.....and what about this one?.......I know, just tie 'em together in a nice reef knot and job's a good 'un ;).

Self assembly flat pack furniture - Clearly it doesn't. I waited ages and it didn't move an inch. :unsure:

[With me it was Sturmey Archer hub gears - heaven knows how many I took to bits before I got one back together. Got to say SCHM my first thought was someone had tried to get in through the windscreen, then I thought you'd knocked the stuffing out of it!

blimey, just looked. When did they start making 5 and 8 speed ones?

Hope, they were all yours and you weren't "fixing" them for your mates :lol:. :thumbsup:

Oh, I did ;). It's now so clean, you could use it in a semiconductor factory. :yes:

Cheers, that rescued me, I was wondering how I was going to get this back on topic :thumbsup:

Anyway, I don't recommend ajax or vim. :rolleyes:

This business of rattles. I don't think mine has any yet that are not the result of me stuffing every conceivable place with things that I might just need ( but never do ) on a journey - the Land Rover syndrome. HOWEVER every time I shut the rear door it makes a noise like throwing a bag of tin cans fastened together with gaffer tape on the floor. It makes me shudder every time I do it. :ffs: I'm about 70% certain that it is something to do with the N/S rear light but can't work out quite what. As a matter of interest has anyone else got the same problem? There goes the topic again - sorry fella! :unsure:

Heater in an oil-burning RAV?

No, shcm, you'll never find it. Better to look nearer to the chimney where the black smoke comes out!!!!!

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll go find the microfibre cloth and start from there.

No worries about the thread wandering a bit. That is built into the design of this forum :)

I was thinking though... as everyone (even lazy gits like me :) ) will have to clean the car eventually, the cleaning topic/ suggestions as a sticky may well be an idea. Not this thread, obviously ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links