Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Autocar Hate The Aygo

zakelwe

It's the only conclusion I can come to after reading the last 2 weeks issues.

Last week they redid all their 1 to 5 star ratings to include half stars to more distinguish between gradings. So guess what ? The C1 got 3.0 and the 107 got 3.0 and the Aygo got ... 2.5. There was me thinking it was actually the same car with different styling and bits :rolleyes:

This week they give the Toyota IQ the thumbs up, saying it had faults but -

"It's not fast. but once up to speed and settled into a steady cruise, there's very little compromise to your quality of life compared with a substantially larger, more expensive car such as the Yaris"

What about comparing it to the fast forgotten and 2.5 star Aygo ? :angry: True, it is more up market but then again it is 20% more expensive and has less room. Considering this is a citycar which is more important? It seems that the funkyness and "early adopters trendy iPhone style bandwagon" swings it though, which is strange because I always thought a car should be judged on its merits or lack of.

You are paying more and giving up practicality just for a marketing gimick. Mind you, maybe I am wrong, maybe the IQ section of this forum is heaving with new buyers. Personally, although the citycar market was up 25% last year and the only segment likely to increase this year, I think the IQ is going to tank.

Regards

2.5 stars Andy

"then again it is 20% more expensive"

My calcs make it almost 50% more. Our Aygo+ 5 door with aircon was £7k OTR.

For me the IQ is a smart with a bigger boot - I'd personally get rid of the rear seats and use it as such.

It's easy to understand why Toyota made IQ, Smart is popular and Aygo production has been on full capacity from the beginning. IQ is the "Smart killer" high quality small eco car with luxury feel. In Finland cheapest Smart is more expensive than the most expensive Aygo! I think IQ will be quite succesfull.

AUTOCAR GAVE A CITROEN 2CV A 4.5 STAR RATING. I think the final straw was describing the 2CV as safe. It also has a 0-30mph (yes thirty) time of over 22 seconds and relies on gravity to get past 41mph.

By AUTOCAR's standards, the Aygo should've got 12 out of 5 stars

'nuff said...

For me the IQ is a smart with a bigger boot - I'd personally get rid of the rear seats and use it as such.

Did you know you can even get a Tonneau-cover for that purpose?

Fold the rear seat-and-a-half flat and then cover the area from the back of the front

seats to the rear window with a horizontally suspended piece of cloth-like material...

If I win a couple thousand €, $ or £ in a lottery the Aygo is cone for an iQ for sure!

And as long as I haven't won I'll still be enjoying my little black Aygo to bits!

Just to clarify having re-read my "rant" :) my ire was against Autocar in the main, the IQ is not for me but I can see why people would want to buy it if they want something a bit different.

Autocar also gave the Yaris different numbers of stars depending on how many doors it had, the 5 door got less than the 3 ... eh?

Regards

Andy

Autocar wouldn't know a good car if it ran them over.

Now and then i visit the Autocar website just to see what tripe they are talking. Their writers and editors dont deserve to be called 'Automotive Journalists'

Im an Autoexpress man myself ;) Cheapest car mag on the shelf, all the latest news before everyone else. But most importantly i value 'their' opinions and believe they are fair and unbiased.

:thumbsup:

Fifth Gear gave the IQ quite a good review, which was quite surprising considering they usually only like fast cars.

Autocar & What Car are part of the Haymarket Group, as magazines survive through advertising typically they will be swayed by who spends the most.

I would assume its not Toyota, its probably Ford & BMW as they get most of the stars, how a BMW 3-Series that cant move in snow gets 5 stars is beyond belief :lol: ;)

To all parties,

Just an observation, all these magazines & websites have a self interest conflict here what with advertisements etc etc.

If you compare for interest "The Parkers Guide" against the small "What Car" mag for buying purposes, parkers are very low on the against section of each car ex: Avensis are bomb proof according to "Parkers" yet "What Car" give a list of faults.

I have stopped buying Parkers & only buy mags connected with the "Which" organization, they are the only ones who trully have the consumer in mind.

Regards, Beagh.

I looked at An IQ in the Local dealer LOL bit to Expensive for my likeing =/

the first thing i noticed was how far it sits of the road looked like it had about a foot between the arch and wheel =p

Aygo Still the Nippyest 1.0l ive ever been in =]

and i am still loveing mine =D

Phill=]

Obviously Autocar know sweet FA about cars!!!

I don’t know any owners on here that dislikes their Aygo :thumbsup: . In these doom and gloom economic times the Aygo owners (and their C1 and 107 counterparts) have been driving round with a smug grin on their faces, and who can blame them? With mega miles to the gallon cheap road tax, cheap insurance and high residual values I’m surprised the government doesn’t make it law that everyone should own and drive an Aygo. Kind on the wallet and kind on the environment, what more can you ask?

I’d have one tomorrow if I could afford one :crybaby:

Agree with the doubts about the iQ. If they had put all this new technology and luxury in a new Aygo imagine the furore that would cause!

A luxury Aygo sized Toyota would be a best seller :yes:

Agree with the doubts about the iQ. If they had put all this new technology and luxury in a new Aygo imagine the furore that would cause!

A luxury Aygo sized Toyota would be a best seller :yes:

Yeah I said this before on a previous forum. The Aygo needs to do what the Mini did before BMW took over.

Provide a base model based on the Aygo +

Provide a more sporting model - sports exhaust, body kit, larger alloys and a chipped engine giving more BHP and

Provide a luxury model - leather/alcantera, air con, glove box lid

And maybe even provide the Lux and Sports packs so that you could also produce an Ultimate Aygo with all the bells and whistles that you could want.

I'm looking forward to the iQ. Just because I heard it will also have a 1.3l engine with 100 hp. And you have to wonder, if the iq comes equiped with the 1.0 engine... will the 1.3l fit the aygo?

The Aygo is much more like the original Mini than that damn BMW thing is.

Now if only they could extend the engine block to make it 4-cyl instead of 3-cyl, they could release a new 1275GT Aygo.

The Aygo CAN house a 4 cilinder: the Diesel IS a 4 cilinder engine...

Part of the pleasure of the Aygo though is the character of the 3 cylinder engine which goes from burble to grumble to howl !

I think they should make an Aygo GT with the following

1. Turbocharged engine producing about 120bhp

2. Sports MMT gearbox with 6 speeds, steering wheel paddles and reduced change times

3. 195/40 16 inch wheels and uprated, more expensive suspension components.

4. More direct steering with less turns lock to lock.

I'm thinking 0-60 in 7.5-8.0 seconds and 45mpg when crusing still. Not sure about what VED band that would end up in though.

Cost would be £11500-£12000 or so.

Regards

Andy

1. Turbocharged engine producing about 120bhp

Blitz has shown a turbo for the iQ but it hasn't been mapped yet so we don't know the final power. I believe it will also fit the Aygo B)

I think the iQ is probably going to be very successful, but it's not aimed at people who like the Aygo for its simplicity.

Paul.

Wonder what the price and hp increase will be. Anyway, it's good to see some competition, if more start producing, the prices will drop. Seems the aygos will gain something from the iQ after all :)

What about comparing it to the fast forgotten and 2.5 star Aygo ? :angry: True, it is more up market but then again it is 20% more expensive and has less room.

More expensive yes but more interior space than a Yaris according to Toyota.

So it's technically a bigger smaller car than the Aygo! :lol:

Plus out of the 2 i prefer the look of the iQ...

What about comparing it to the fast forgotten and 2.5 star Aygo ? :angry: True, it is more up market but then again it is 20% more expensive and has less room.

More expensive yes but more interior space than a Yaris according to Toyota.

Cobblers.

Check out the online road tests, it's a 3+1 and has no boot space in that configuration either.

Regards

Andy

iQ’s interior gains an additional 120mm compared to the Toyota Yaris.
Shoulder-to-shoulder distance between driver and front passenger is 50mm wider than in Yaris

Seems Toyota think different to your "Cobblers" conclusion

:lol:

iQ’s interior gains an additional 120mm compared to the Toyota Yaris.
Shoulder-to-shoulder distance between driver and front passenger is 50mm wider than in Yaris

Seems Toyota think different to your "Cobblers" conclusion

I believe the term is marketeering, ie professionals employed to push the good points and gloss over the bad.

Tell me, why is it described as a 3+1 then? And how many shopping bags you can fit in the 50mm between the driver and front passenger because you can't use the boot ? Perhaps this feature is useful for American football players, a key buying group for the IQ no doubt ...

:D

Regards

Andy

iQ/Aygo neither really appeal to me... far too "green"

How are we gonna help global warming and get rid of the snow with more cars like them on the road?? :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links