Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica Gen 6 - Handbrake Sticking

GT Driver

Hi all,

The handbrake on my Gen 6 has started to stick AND the hand brake lever now has almost an inch of play in it when released.

Description of problem:

When i release the handbrake after being parked the car is very reluctant to roll. I usually have to put the car in reverse and roll back to free the brake up.

This kinda just happened one day and i can't figure it out why; would this have anything to do with the cold weather we have been having? This never used to happen.

What are the possible causes/solutions?

Any help appreciated.

you could try adjusting the lever to take up any slack , failing that it sounds like stretched cables . ???

Hi all,

The handbrake on my Gen 6 has started to stick AND the hand brake lever now has almost an inch of play in it when released.

Description of problem:

When i release the handbrake after being parked the car is very reluctant to roll. I usually have to put the car in reverse and roll back to free the brake up.

This kinda just happened one day and i can't figure it out why; would this have anything to do with the cold weather we have been having? This never used to happen.

Any help appreciated.

I would get the wheels off and have a good look. If the handbrake sticks and you don't notice you will soon cook the brakes.

• 11 months later...

And a year on mines now doing the same thing! :rolleyes: did you manage to sort out the issue? think my whole brake system could do with an overhaul.

The old girl clocked over 150k now and starting to show it. My fuel consumption has gone through the roof, just ordered a new o2 senser :unsure:

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Description of problem:

Any help appreciated.

did you get this looked at? mine is sticking too but getting no heat (yet) from discs

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links