Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

'02 Tsport Intake / Exhaust Mods?

myromeo

Hi all,

I have a 2002 3dr TSport that is currently running stock other than I have replaced the snorkel with a pipe from an MGTF160 and have installed a wizards of nos wet nitrous kit at 50hp. I'm an engineer by trade (and by uni!) so am not scared to try things out for myself!

heres the TF pipe compared to the stock snorkel, as you can see its much a bigger diameter and has no nasty restrictive bends.

Photo0005.jpg

What I want to do next is rework the intake manifold (as per a recent post, sorry, nrgizer's i think?!) to give improved throttle response and some midrange gains. Has anyone else done this or can you show me any images of what the stock manifold looks like from various angles?

I also want to fabricate a high flowing axle back exhaust to replace the stock box, I have seen in the states they run 'unbolted' but as we need a rear box of some sort here I was thinking of using the absolute smallest box I can find. I know this would be loud but from other forums I see the rear box is taking somewhere between 10 and 14hp from the engine!

I think this plus the intake mods could free up 15+ hp and really improve the way the car drives, of course on nitrous it doesnt matter anyway cos its hella fast :D

Any advice / tips would be really appreciated :)

Marko

hey wow i might grab myself an MG pipe and chuck mine!

intake gains can be massive

my advice would be to check 9thgencorolla forums as there is a lot of work going on with this at the moment. Not much love for performance upgrades on this particular corolla forum but there are some modders out there!

btw i dont see 10-14bhp from the backbox, the CTS is more restricted from the Intake, and Cat...not backbox...so you' need to open up both before that became a significant issue.

oh, the reports ive heard are that the cat and mid silencer are more than free enough flowing for the 2zz motor but the backbox is restrictive. im going to rolling road it with and without the box to see just what difference it makes.

ive been following the intake threads on newcelica.org and the gains look fantastic! I plan on taking the stock manifold to bits later today or more likely tomorrow when i have all day to work on it.

Thanks for the website suggestion, ive heard that site mentioned a few times but never took a look! Will have a browse now.

borodaz, yeah, been running a wizards of nos kit for a month or so and before that had it on my MGTF, runs superb, completely transforms the cars performance and probably the best bang per buck ive ever spent.

oh, why no modders on here? weird!

myromeo, can you tell me what is the diameter of the piping where it hits the stock airbox? im at work id like to measure the outlet but i cant just get outside atm!

Hi all,

I have a 2002 3dr TSport that is currently running stock other than I have replaced the snorkel with a pipe from an MGTF160 and have installed a wizards of nos wet nitrous kit at 50hp. I'm an engineer by trade (and by uni!) so am not scared to try things out for myself!

heres the TF pipe compared to the stock snorkel, as you can see its much a bigger diameter and has no nasty restrictive bends.

Photo0005.jpg

What I want to do next is rework the intake manifold (as per a recent post, sorry, nrgizer's i think?!) to give improved throttle response and some midrange gains. Has anyone else done this or can you show me any images of what the stock manifold looks like from various angles?

I also want to fabricate a high flowing axle back exhaust to replace the stock box, I have seen in the states they run 'unbolted' but as we need a rear box of some sort here I was thinking of using the absolute smallest box I can find. I know this would be loud but from other forums I see the rear box is taking somewhere between 10 and 14hp from the engine!

I think this plus the intake mods could free up 15+ hp and really improve the way the car drives, of course on nitrous it doesnt matter anyway cos its hella fast :D

Any advice / tips would be really appreciated :)

Marko

I may sound stupid here...but the snorkel is the pipe that runs round the outside of the Battery and into the bottom of the airbox housing? correct?

so having a smoother and bigger the snorkel, allows the air to have a unreastriced passage into the air filter?

would using a cold air intake tube that you get with most K&N induction kits do the same job??

aye mate the pipe that goes from the front of the airbox, round the Battery and to the front bumper, its very restrictive!

any smooth decent size pipe would do the same job, i just happened to have the TF pipe knocking about and it happened to be a good fit.

I think its about 2.5 inch diameter but if your going to do the same mod then a simple rule can be applied, the bigger the better! just be sure its smooth(ish), as few bends as possible and takes air from a cooler area such as front grill, behind bumper...

ive heard that you can get a header to replace the exhaust manifold which increases bhp cause it relieves back pressure aqllowing exhaust gasses to escape to the exhaust quicker and smoother

would anyone have any idea where you could get one of these lol, cheers

would a smoother intake to the airbox make that much difference??

ive just bought a K&N for mine, making the air intake less restrictive, and im takeing all of the orignal air box out, and putting the cold air feed comming out rite next to my front fog, (ill put up a pic of it when ive done it)

as for the exhaust, i had a custom made back box put on my old car (renult clio 1.4 sport) and it did seem to make a difference.

the only problem you have, is you have to make sure that you do go for the preformace exhaust, as just getting one that makes it alot louder doesnt always help.

i could imagine that there is a bit of bhp locked up in the back box, but not lots.

work on smoothing all of the airflow into the enigne, making it less turbulent, as this will help with the power delivery.

for example replace your standard inlet pipe with a pice of flexi smaco hoseing, as this is smooth all the way doen to your indcution maifold, and then fit a K&N 57i onto the other end.

or you can get a mor expensive option of the K&N typhoon, which basically is the same princaple as before.

also, the more cold air you can get, the better your engine will go.

my plan is to make a housing for the K&N, so its only getting cold air :)

a free flow exhaust will always make more power than a restricted one... the 2zzge is ment to benefit quite well from having no/minimal restriction back box wise but the 1zzfe and lower dont.

intake wise, the gains from a smooth pipe are so small its hardly worth the cost. fitting a K&N type filter will only benefit if the stock airbox is restrictive which ill be able to prove tomorrow. you also would be better off fitting something like as you say the K&N typhoon, pipercross viper or even better BMC CDA. enclosed is the way forward.

As said tho, i want to test the efficiency of the stock parts before investing in any aftermarket / modified parts.

hey just been looking at the TF pipework, its also the same fron most rover 200 and MG ZR diesel :) just in case anyone was going to a scrappy to find one or anything. ( i used to have a 220sdi!)

• 3 weeks later...

I've Just taken out my snorkel... and the non-plastic part (some sort of fabric) was soaked, it smells of stale water.

where the hell will that be coming from? well i've taken it off now and will be installing a cold air duct, any ideas where i should try and draw cold air from? behind the grille seems quite hard to get to

Get that fog light out and intake in!!!

T8 TRD has drilled through the bumper under the n/s headlight and run a cold air feed from there to his Blitz...

... i'm not too happy about cutting into my bumper so i won't be doing that! :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links