Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sticky Throttle

53rav4

the missus has a 2003 rav 4 xt3 which has a throttle that does not release straight after taking your foot off the peddle

it seems to drop the revs after about a second ish has anyone else had this problem if so what was the cure????

thanks in advance :(

First thing I would do would be to remove all the inlet trunking and airbox etc to get to the throttle body. I'd then get an old toothbrush and some carb/brake cleaner and give it a good clean. You may notice then throttle body is oily and black. It might also be the idle control valve that is integral with the throttle body so it can get dirty as well - toothbrush and carb cleaner again.

Has your missus just purchased this car ?

If so this might not be a fault but a common "feature" of some modern cars especially the Rav4.

When I first bought my Rav4 XT in 2004 I noticed that when I changed gear and took my foot off the pedal, the Revs stayed up for short (but very irritating) period.

I did some research on the internet and found that this is a common feature of some modern cars to reduce engine emissions and is controlled by the engine management unit. Apparently sudden reduction in throttle input need to be carefully managed so that you get a clean burn and this is noticeable effect in some advanced engines. Try googling "throttle lag"

The good news is that after a week or so your driving somehow adapts this weird effect and you do not notice it any more :-)

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Ian

I believe it is normal too. It is surprising how much it smooths out the gearchange. A lot of earlier cars were fitted with throttle dampers to do the same thing.

Has your missus just purchased this car ?

If so this might not be a fault but a common "feature" of some modern cars especially the Rav4.

When I first bought my Rav4 XT in 2004 I noticed that when I changed gear and took my foot off the pedal, the Revs stayed up for short (but very irritating) period.

I did some research on the internet and found that this is a common feature of some modern cars to reduce engine emissions and is controlled by the engine management unit. Apparently sudden reduction in throttle input need to be carefully managed so that you get a clean burn and this is noticeable effect in some advanced engines. Try googling "throttle lag"

The good news is that after a week or so your driving somehow adapts this weird effect and you do not notice it any more :-)

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Ian

no she's had the car for about a year now she's used to it but im not mind you i dont drive it that often :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links