Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor Centre Console Visibility

davystokes

Managed to get to drive a 2008 1.8 petrol Avensis - was pleasantly surprised by how nice it was to drive. Flexible engine; much better than the 2.0 litre diesel I drove.

However, I felt it was let down by the centre console design. The satnav was placed low down over the radio. So was not easy to glance at whilst driving. Strange cos there was a perfect place for it in the centre of the dash - a space dedicated to a flip top storage box.

But worse was the controls for adjusting the heat distribution. My Volvo has a rotary knob which I adjust by feel. With the Avensis you have to push a button which sequences through the options. You have to watch a tiny low-down display to see what option is selected. I felt that I could never do that when driving.

DAvy

However, I felt it was let down by the centre console design. The satnav was placed low down over the radio. So was not easy to glance at whilst driving. Strange cos there was a perfect place for it in the centre of the dash - a space dedicated to a flip top storage box.

it's much nicer than a Vectra.

The sat nav can of course guide you verbally (I have the audio turned off as I don't really need a satnav but it came standard with the car) but I don't find it that difficult looking at the screen whilst driving.

With the confirmation screen & all at start I get the feeling though that Toyota are being risk averse - they will no doubt argue that it's deliberately there so that you should stop & look at it rather than using it whilst driving.

But worse was the controls for adjusting the heat distribution. My Volvo has a rotary knob which I adjust by feel. With the Avensis you have to push a button which sequences through the options. You have to watch a tiny low-down display to see what option is selected. I felt that I could never do that when driving.

DAvy

you must have been driving a TR or above as the T2 has very simple slider controls.

Again I don't really find it a problem but then I don't find the need to constantly be changing settings.

At worst I might want to swap to a better setting for clearing the windscreen & that's easily achieved with the 1 dedicated button.

I think that it's just a matter of familiarity.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links