Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wiring For Tow Bar On 2005 Lc3

Redtop

I had a trailer on my old car and the trailer lights worked fine. I just changed to an '05 Landcruiser and the lights no longer work properly. They are not synchronized with the landcruiser lights and the landcruiser lights behave very strangely when the trailer is connected. I heard that the wiring can be different on different Tow Bars (IK/Ireland Vs European maybe ?). Assuming there is nothing wrong with the Landcruiser wiring except that it's setup in a different format, is there an adaptor available that will allow me to use the trailer without rewiring ? If there's no adaptor available, how do I change the wiring on the Landcruiser to match the trailer or vice versa ?

As far as I know the wiring for trailers should all be standard. You could try another trailer or lightboard from a known source to check it again. If its still not right the first thing to check is you have a good earth return at the vehicle socket . The simple way to do this is take the cover off the trailer socket and locate the white wire which is the earth then attach a lenght of wire to this connector still leaving it connected to socket and trailer wiring and reassemble the socket leading the spare wire out of the socket . Then plug the socket into your car and attach the other end of the spare wire to a GOOD clean bare metal part of your car.Then try the lights and if ok the problem is your earth which will also be a white wire coming from inside the car socket.I recently had this problem with one of my Toyota Hiace vans which the dealer couldn't even fix ( its still in warranty so I wasn't doing it )but as it was only doing it under load ie with all lights on , he couldnt find the problem but as I was sure it was a bad earth I tried this test and it worked so I advised the dealer and he re did the earth and the problem was solved. Failing that a good auto electrician would sort it no prob.Hope this helps.Another thing that causes it can be corrosion in the socket or have a look at the socket as on a least 10 occasions over the years on my Hilux, Hiace and Landcruisers I have had one or two of the pins push back into the housing causing bad connections.Note these vehicles were all purchased new and had main dealer fitted towbar and electrics fitted at purchase so were covered under 3 year warranty.

This is a wiring diagram for a 12n, 7 pin standard trailer socket, it also covers the wiring of any UK trailer and most European standard 12n wiring. This is the view from the rear as you look at the terminals to wire the plug or socket. In all cases the terminals will be numbered.

Unfortunately we can not supply wiring diagrams for Vehicles as the manufacturer changes looms & colours on a regular basis & it is impossible to keep up with them. It is just a case of testing for feeds prior to connecting the trailer wire in to your vehicle loom.

post-2503-1236374583_thumb.png

Problem identified to frayed wiring inside connector which had some dirt in it also. Respliced the wires and reconnected and now working fine. It was obviously shorting out due to frayed wires. Thanks.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links