Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rugby

Bizarra

• 3 weeks later...

Yaaayyyy :yahoo:

We did it :toast:

It was by the skin of our teeth until the last moment, but who cares? :clap::cheers:

Grand Slam winners receive heroes' welcome in Dublin

22/03/2009 - 17:14:19

Thousands of supporters have turned out in Dublin to welcome the Irish rugby Grand Slam winning team.

The management and team arrived at Dublin Airport this afternoon and a civic reception is being held for the team outside the Mansion House.

Ronan O'Gara's 77th minute drop goal sealed the win, giving Ireland its first Grand Slam since 1948.

O'Gara said nerves were high during the historic clash.

Come on IRELAND!!!!!!!!!! mmmm o gara ...... :in_love::drool:

Obviously a couple of Rugby fans - maybe you can answer me this ..........................................

The origin of the game ( as I understand it ) is that during a game of Football, Young master Webb Ellis got very angry at his suckiness at football - he then picked up the ball, ran past everyone pushing them all out of the way, and threw the ball into the goal. Rather than detention or being forced to run round the field for the remainder of the PE lesson, the teacher spotted this as an opportunity to develop a whole new game..........this evolved into Rugby.

Here's my Question........

Is there any evidence that Webb Ellis was any good at Rugby - or was he just the fat kid who was always picked last as he sucked so much at every sport??

Genuine question - I've always wanted to know the answer !!

Very interesting point of view, & I don't know the answer.

In view of the evidence, that he picked up the ball & ran past everyone, pushing them out of his way, it sounds as though he was a hefty lump who couldn't play the game as it was, threw a wobbler & accidently started Rugby.

Very interesting point of view, & I don't know the answer.

In view of the evidence, that he picked up the ball & ran past everyone, pushing them out of his way, it sounds as though he was a hefty lump who couldn't play the game as it was, threw a wobbler & accidently started Rugby.

That's the thing isn't it - the whole game was devised in order to accomodate one boy who couldn't play soccer.

( I'd have put him in goal ! )

The thing that I ask is whether he was any good at the new game, or just as inept.

I suppose it would be a mite embarrassing if the 'father of Rugby' couldn't actually play - but History is written by the winners and a small fact like this may well disappear into the ether ( conveniently ).

I was just wondering if anyone knew how he did? !

What a game on sat, had to get up on sunday and watch it again was just as gud second time round.

As for the question on william web ellis the answer is no one knows it was such a different game back then and they changed the rules almost every match.

So it's all lies - and still no closer to whether he was any good :(

Never trust History - It'll lie every time

Another poser :rolleyes:

How can you "Be inclined to take unfair advantage" @ Cricket ?

I played it , very badly, at school :( Rugby, Hockey & sprinting were my strong points (ish)

How can you "Be inclined to take unfair advantage" @ Cricket ?

Er..........don't understand the question. It's not a phrase I've encountered before - well, not to do with Cricket anyway !

UNLESS ( just thought ) it means that one prefers to 'bend the rules' in order to win. Cheat basically - not a desirable trait for cricketers really !

An excerpt copied & pasted from his Biography

He attended the school from 1816 to 1825, and he was noted as a good scholar and a good cricketer, although it was noted that he was 'rather inclined to take unfair advantage at cricket'

Possibly bending the rules, but that is what Umpires are there for, to keep an eye on :unsure:

Possibly bending the rules, but that is what Umpires are there for, to keep an eye on :unsure:

Cricketers usually hold themselves up to be fair, gentlemen sportsmen. From what I know of cricket I can only really recall 2 memorable occasions when this line was crossed. Mike Gatting ( I think ) having that blazing row with the umpire years back, and the whole Bodyline controversy - both of these occasions stand out in a sport that's usually so remarkably amicable. A young Webb Ellis who liked to 'win at all costs' would surely be shown that cricketers don't behave like that and maybe, despite his talent, he should find another sport to play.

Slightly :offtopic: [not unusual for me :D ]

I used to play for my Boarding School (Yes Rugby had been invented then :shutit:)We were to play a match in the Leinster Schools Junior Cup against a larger School, some distance away.

So, we arrived by Bus & were brought in, made welcome & given Lunch. The likes of us Boarders hadn't seen a spread like it since the start of term :pepsi::eat: We each got a litre bottle of lemonade & a huge main course, followed by dessert. We were growing lads, & fell for it. :rolleyes:

You can guess the result :angry: I won't say we were annihilated but.................... to be kind, we didn't win :censor:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links