Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1000 Miles

Pat2u

About a month ago i had my car into my main dealer for a minor rattle, during the check it seems that toyota do a check each time my car goes in for loss of oil and tyre wear ect, my car had some oil loss and i was told to fetch it back after it had completed another 1000 miles so they could check the oil level again, at the time i thought this very odd as the car had only been serviced "its first" a few weeks earlier and had never lost any oil during the first 12 months of owning it. I went out this morning to it as it has now covered just short of 900 miles since being told to return it to find that it has lost no further oil, i have not used it over the past few weeks and it has been driven by my wife doing the shopping/grandkids school runs ect and one longer run of a round trip of a 100/30 mile max.

I am now thinking that when it went in for its first service the correct amount of oil was not added to it, i have read on the forums that some engines have lost oil due to a problem with the rings.

My question is should i be worried due to the amount of short journeys the car has done over the past month and could that effect any signs of no oil loss and should i continue to monitor it, the car is reading just over 6000 miles and is fourteen months old ?

Thanks for any input.

I err on the side of safety & check oil, water & tyres as a matter of course, once a week :thumbsup:

About a month ago i had my car into my main dealer for a minor rattle, during the check it seems that toyota do a check each time my car goes in for loss of oil and tyre wear ect, my car had some oil loss and i was told to fetch it back after it had completed another 1000 miles so they could check the oil level again, at the time i thought this very odd as the car had only been serviced "its first" a few weeks earlier and had never lost any oil during the first 12 months of owning it. I went out this morning to it as it has now covered just short of 900 miles since being told to return it to find that it has lost no further oil, i have not used it over the past few weeks and it has been driven by my wife doing the shopping/grandkids school runs ect and one longer run of a round trip of a 100/30 mile max.

I am now thinking that when it went in for its first service the correct amount of oil was not added to it, i have read on the forums that some engines have lost oil due to a problem with the rings.

My question is should i be worried due to the amount of short journeys the car has done over the past month and could that effect any signs of no oil loss and should i continue to monitor it, the car is reading just over 6000 miles and is fourteen months old ?

Thanks for any input.

Need your thoughts on if the car lost oil after first service and was topped up on the 2nd visit for a minor rattle and now nearing a 1000 miles later and no oil lost, i am thinking at the service it was not topped up to the full mark, bearing in mind its only been on small runs over past month do you guys think i do or do not have a piston ring problem thats been mentioned on other threads ?

Hi mate

I would have thought that if you had a piston ring problem, and were burning oil, you would notice excessive white smoke from your exhaust .

As your car is fairly new with low mileage, i think its very unlikely.

As Bizzara has said, check your oil regularly, and go from there :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links