Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4.2 3 Door Custom Parcel Shelf

AnilS

My wife bought a new Yaris back in 2000 and although she loved the car. One thing she hated though, was piling the shopping onto itself and damaging the more fragile items. She also has to travel with her laptop from time to time and this wasn't a problem, until now, since the RAV has no parcel shelf.

"Killing two birds with one stone", today spent fabricating such an item. I was going to develop a high shelf/storage system, but feared if we were ever rear-ended, it would act like a gullotine :o so did the following.

I set the rear seats a couple of notches forward so as to give a bit more boot space, but the kids still have ample room to cause mischief :lol:

Using 9mm MDF, I templated out the edges (never going to use the grocery hooks) where the shelf would sit. A bit of sawing and sanding to get a good fit. Once I was happy, popped out and bought some spray adhesive and the closest colour matching felt (loads left over to line the cubby holes too :D ) I could find and with the help of my lovely wife, trimmed and covered the shelf.

Now our kids can put their heavy rucksacks on the boot floor and the PE bags on the shelf. Same applies to the Asda trip :P .

Also, anyone looking in would not be able to see the contents of the lower boot area. The shelf itself simple comes out if you forward recline the rear seat a touch so its back to standard.

Have a butchers :D

DSCN1119.jpg

DSCN1118.jpg

DSCN1124.jpg

DSCN1120.jpg

DSCN1125.jpg

View from the outside looking in, so to speak.

DSCN1122.jpg

Nice shelf mate ;)

It looks a lot better than the geniune toyota one that is as good as a chocolate fire guard !!!!

Cheers mate. :)

The shelf looks alot darker than the pics suggest. Bad light or bad photographer ............................................ take your pic .........................................get it. ;)

Sorry about that, I'll get my coat. :lol:

Have you got any photos of the manufacturing process? Can you show how it fits? Does it just sit on the existing side panels or did you make some additional brackets?

We could pin it if you don't mind?

Anchorman, I thought about doing step by step photos but didn't think it'd be that interesting :( .

At work presently, but will do a write up and some pics.

No additional brackets, it just sits on the ledge where the grocery hooks are by the rear wheels.

Might be better if a take it out, put it on a big sheet of paper and make a full size template, and post it to all interested parties :thumbsup:

Write up and pics to follow. :yes:

Somebody made a different upper parcel shelf so we could add that in as well :thumbsup:

Cheers Simon :thumbsup:

Just spotted in pics 1 and 2 that the entry protection strip into the boot is adift. Checked it out and the fixings are a bit chewed. Does anyone know if I can just get away with new fixings, or I need a new complete strip. Strip BTW is not damaged.

I think you could use black pan head self tapping screws and done carefully it would look OK. Just put one at each end to make it look "official".

Outstanding job, AnilS! That shelf looks like a factory accessory, only sturdier than Mr. T would make it. How did you trace out the arc in the back to get it just right?

Outstanding job, AnilS! That shelf looks like a factory accessory, only sturdier than Mr. T would make it. How did you trace out the arc in the back to get it just right?

The arc ............... I literally stumbled on it by accident!

After I used a cardboard template to get the ends right, I knew the distance where the seats would sit to the middle of the back door closed was 36cm. I did a home cinema install recently and had plastic (conjuate) trunking left over and on the floor of the garage! I tripped over it :censor:

Using the cover (thin bit) of the trunking that pulls away from the bit that attachs to the wall, and marking off the center of the board, 36cm away from the back seat edge, I held the flexible cover strip to it, like a bow (and arrow) and my 12 year old pencil scribed it :thumbsup: . Just jigsaw it out!

Its actually in use now, and I'll ask wife and kids if it works OK. I don't get to drive the RAV4 much so don't know if it makes a noise. I'm used to a very quiet car ;)

If I get time on the weekend, I'll make another one, and post pics/instructions. :thumbsup:

The arc ............... I literally stumbled on it by accident!

After I used a cardboard template to get the ends right, I knew the distance where the seats would sit to the middle of the back door closed was 36cm. I did a home cinema install recently and had plastic (conjuate) trunking left over and on the floor of the garage! I tripped over it :censor:

Using the cover (thin bit) of the trunking that pulls away from the bit that attachs to the wall, and marking off the center of the board, 36cm away from the back seat edge, I held the flexible cover strip to it, like a bow (and arrow) and my 12 year old pencil scribed it :thumbsup: . Just jigsaw it out!

Its actually in use now, and I'll ask wife and kids if it works OK. I don't get to drive the RAV4 much so don't know if it makes a noise. I'm used to a very quiet car ;)

Brilliant, simply brilliant. I can't imagine it makes much noise being covered in felt.

Been in a couple of days and not a peep from it. Kids think its cool :lol:

Not too heavy either :)

Its bloomin' rubbish that theres is no light in the boot area. I have added (screwed in) one of those click on/off LED lights but has anyone installed a proper light that comes on when the boot is opened?

Pics taken a few moments ago.

Unlit

DSCN1140.jpg

Lit

DSCN1143.jpg

Best I can do in 5 mins to stop SWMBO whinging :rolleyes:

Do 4.2 (5doors) have boot lights that activate on a plunger switch.

Its bloomin' rubbish that theres is no light in the boot area. I have added (screwed in) one of those click on/off LED lights but has anyone installed a proper light that comes on when the boot is opened?

Not sure about 4.2 5-door but the 4.3 has one fited in the door - you know it makes sense :rolleyes:

As soon as you open the door the light moves AWAY from the load area.

A number of 4.3 owners have spliced into the door light circuit and fitted a supplementary light/s into the load area. Anchorman has produced an excellent guide for the 4.3 that is pinned in the 'Technical Information / hints and tips' at top of page.

Does the courtesy light come on when you open the rear door? If so you should be able to splice into that circuit.

I'm sure some present or past 4.2 owners will be able to give you a few pointers/solutions.

Good luck

Not sure about 4.2 5-door but the 4.3 has one fited in the door - you know it makes sense :rolleyes:

As soon as you open the door the light moves AWAY from the load area.

A number of 4.3 owners have spliced into the door light circuit and fitted a supplementary light/s into the load area. Anchorman has produced an excellent guide for the 4.3 that is pinned in the 'Technical Information / hints and tips' at top of page.

Does the courtesy light come on when you open the rear door? If so you should be able to splice into that circuit.

I'm sure some present or past 4.2 owners will be able to give you a few pointers/solutions.

Good luck

Many thanks for that. Yes, the overhead interior light comes ON when the boot is opened but if I spliced, wouldn't I have to disturbed the headlining? :(

Many thanks for that. Yes, the overhead interior light comes ON when the boot is opened but if I spliced, wouldn't I have to disturbed the headlining? :(

In that case, I was thinking you could possibly pick up from the button switch in the door frame and route behind the interior trim.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links