Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Window/door Switch Cluster Lighting

jedi134

Hi all Rav`ers :D

I was wondering whether the Window/Door switch cluster (not sure of the correct name for it) on the drivers door has any lighting behind for the switch`s to illuminates at night, My Rav does not just wondering whether this is normal or has my bulb blown. Its not visable at night, and I end up scrambling around for the right window switch, as you can imagine, all windows going up and down until the right one is reached.

Hi all Rav`ers :D

I was wondering whether the Window/Door switch cluster (not sure of the correct name for it) on the drivers door has any lighting behind for the switch`s to illuminates at night, My Rav does not just wondering whether this is normal or has my bulb blown. Its not visable at night, and I end up scrambling around for the right window switch, as you can imagine, all windows going up and down until the right one is reached.

The only switch illuminated is the driver one [it is also the only 'auto' switch] It is illuminated by a tiny LED mounted on the circuit board. I am currently considering how to improve this situation and any suggestions/solutions greatly appreciated. Have considered taking a feed from either the footwell LED or lighter socket illumination [don't fancy going direct to the switch circuit board as an error would be expensive] and putting a couple of small LEDs in the switch housing.

The switch panels come out easily enough if you want to have a look yourself - just prise up the front, pointed end with a taped screwdriver and they pretty much fall out.

David

My Auto dos`nt even light up. :( Yeah a couple of well placed LED`s should do the trick, I was just wondering whether it was just mine that had a fault or they are all like this. Looks like LED modding time

Buy a miners type helmet and lamp - that way anything you look at will be illuminated :lol:

My Auto dos`nt even light up. :( Yeah a couple of well placed LED`s should do the trick, I was just wondering whether it was just mine that had a fault or they are all like this. Looks like LED modding time

You need a light in the overhead console but it needs to be an orange recessed one so that it matches and doesn't prove a nuisance. the trouble is I can't find any or I would put one in mine to light up the mirror controls!

Would any of the "mood lights" fitted to some of the German cars be any good?

No idea where to get them or how to fit them.

Yes they are perfect as they are the right colour and recessed. However, it would be awkward because buying them from a dealer would mean rigging up connections as they are certain to have a dedicated plug. The other snag is likely to be the price.

The cheap and cheerful option would be somebody like RS Components or Tandy but I can't find them in the catalogue (it could be me because I don't know exactly how they refer to them).

Yes they are perfect as they are the right colour and recessed. However, it would be awkward because buying them from a dealer would mean rigging up connections as they are certain to have a dedicated plug. The other snag is likely to be the price.

The cheap and cheerful option would be somebody like RS Components or Tandy but I can't find them in the catalogue (it could be me because I don't know exactly how they refer to them).

These are LEDs that I use a lot of - the link will get you to the area of the catalogue at least! LEDs

These are LEDs that I use a lot of - the link will get you to the area of the catalogue at least! LEDs

This company supplies loads of different LEDs with a variety of mounting options. Most cost pennies but you would have to create your own wiring.

www.rapidonline.com

if you want to practice on a spare set I have just seen a set of switches on ebay

Sounds like a plan, not a bad price either

if you want to practice on a spare set I have just seen a set of switches on ebay

Sounds like a plan, not a bad price either

Had a bit of a poke around yesterday and have figured out the best place to get a feed that is controlled by the light switch on the stalk is probably the wires to the cigarette lighter lamp. This can be accessed fairly easily by removing the two silver panels on side of transmission tunnel, lifting out the gear stick surround and releasing the switch panel by removing the two screws that hold the cup holder in.

I plan to get all the bits and pieces, make up a wiring loom and get it in position from the doors to the back of the lighter socket prior to tackling the whole job. I will probably route to the flexible boot between body and door, behind the glovebox on passenger side and under the carpet on driver side so as not to disturb or compromise the knee airbag area. The circuit will need a suitable resistance to protect the LEDs as feed to the lighter bulb is 12.4 volts [unless 12v rated LEDs are used]. Will post pictures when I do it [unless someone else gets there first]

Are those switches still available? If so what is the item number?

Can you not bring a feed from the light thats on the AUTO switch, as its only LEDs and should not draw much current? Not had a look myself so i don`t really know whats in there.

Can you not bring a feed from the light thats on the AUTO switch, as its only LEDs and should not draw much current? Not had a look myself so i don`t really know whats in there.

I agree, on the face of of it, that would be logical but that LED is an absolutely tiny, board mounted one - about 2 x 1 mm from memory. I could get them but I don't have the equipment [or eyesight for that matter] to wire them in or mount them in a suitable position so plan to use 3mm LEDs most likely.

I think that auto switch is lit the whole time after the key is inserted into the ignition switch.

Here is another little project that I was toying with. Halfords had some surface mounted super bright white LEDs. I was going to run a feed from the interior light to the mirrors and create some puddle lights. Halfords don't seem to stock them now but maybe if I come across some more........

I think that auto switch is lit the whole time after the key is inserted into the ignition switch.

Here is another little project that I was toying with. Halfords had some surface mounted super bright white LEDs. I was going to run a feed from the interior light to the mirrors and create some puddle lights. Halfords don't seem to stock them now but maybe if I come across some more........

Hmmm, how about something like this (now available in white).

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=92534

Cheers Dave

It would depend on the size. I was thinking of a single light that would fit onder the plastic cover (that sometimes rattles!) for easy access and wiring.

I was thinking these strips would be good stuck under the door, connected to the interior light circuit they would come on

when you open the door thereby lighting up the road/pavement you are stepping on to.

Cheers Dave

It would depend on the size. I was thinking of a single light that would fit onder the plastic cover (that sometimes rattles!) for easy access and wiring.

I had considered those too but rejected that in favour of the same method as Anchorman - drilling a hole in the lower edge of each switch housing [so light projects away from driver] and inserting the LEDs there. There is quite a lot of space around the actual switches and the whole lot breaks down into separate bits. I felt it would look a lot neater ultimately.

Rapidonline sell small amber lenses designed to clip into a panel - the LED then goes into the lens from the back. I wouldn't want anything too bright as I am sure it would be a distraction.

If there were a feed to the window switches, other than directly off the board, that is controlled by the lighting stalk, the whole job would be much easier as routing wires through the rubber boot in the door is a really fiddly task. I don't want to tamper with the circuit board for fear of damaging it.

Suggestions on a postcard please.

I was thinking these strips would be good stuck under the door, connected to the interior light circuit they would come on

when you open the door thereby lighting up the road/pavement you are stepping on to.

I was thinking that as the interior light comes on when you unlock it would light up the approach to the car rather than just on opening but certainly that is another option.

Cheers.

Expensive as it's a new car, but can the Lexus IS offer anything by way of parts? I saw one in the street tonight, it had Auto on the passenger door.

As for you lighting the pavement, I do like the idea (and would consider it if one of you pinned a helpful thread!) of the warning lights that are often low in the doors of German cars so people don't drive into the doors when they open onto the street.

Expensive as it's a new car, but can the Lexus IS offer anything by way of parts? I saw one in the street tonight, it had Auto on the passenger door.

As for you lighting the pavement, I do like the idea (and would consider it if one of you pinned a helpful thread!) of the warning lights that are often low in the doors of German cars so people don't drive into the doors when they open onto the street.

I considered the warning light idea when I was doing the load area lighting mod. There are red LED light modules available that would probably be suitable [round ones from memory] I suspect it wouldn't be too difficult to add one to the rear door edge. A stick on reflector would be better than nothing though. Side doors more problematic because of difficulty in routing wires.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links