Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Much Power ?

SF695

This question is purely out of curiousity, since i never had a Supra because of the high prices of cars in general here.

Anyway, what is the maximum powerout that a Supra MK4 TT can produce after tuning, without changing any of the engine internals and without severely comprimising the reliabillity??

Potential can of worms opened! Bear in mind the newest of engines is going to be about 10 years old... what is sensible and reliable now when working an engine overtime may well be different to what was when they were a couple of years old! There are also loads of different engines over different years.

The Americans seen to have a trend for “dyno queens” cars with factory internals with boost wound up to max power for a short time for bragging rights, even though if used daily it would disintegrate, and a more balanced engine with less peak power would still be quicker around a track. So they’ll probably say “stock” internaled engines are good for huge amounts.

Other people like myself like to run an engine with “plenty in reserve”, to keep things sweet. (the last engine I built was built with 1.5 bar in mine, but I ran it at only 1.1 ish and dropped it back down to .7 when I sold it. The new owner would have to do something spectacularly daft to kill it!

There is a chap in Australia running a 1G-GTE (2.0) with re finished and tweaked factory internals (obviously rebuilt) that pushes 550 hp iirc. He seemed to run a reliable enough season or drag racing!

Potential can of worms opened! Bear in mind the newest of engines is going to be about 10 years old... what is sensible and reliable now when working an engine overtime may well be different to what was when they were a couple of years old! There are also loads of different engines over different years.

The Americans seen to have a trend for “dyno queens” cars with factory internals with boost wound up to max power for a short time for bragging rights, even though if used daily it would disintegrate, and a more balanced engine with less peak power would still be quicker around a track. So they’ll probably say “stock” internaled engines are good for huge amounts.

Other people like myself like to run an engine with “plenty in reserve”, to keep things sweet. (the last engine I built was built with 1.5 bar in mine, but I ran it at only 1.1 ish and dropped it back down to .7 when I sold it. The new owner would have to do something spectacularly daft to kill it!

There is a chap in Australia running a 1G-GTE (2.0) with re finished and tweaked factory internals (obviously rebuilt) that pushes 550 hp iirc. He seemed to run a reliable enough season or drag racing!

Ofcourse. I should have been more specific. The question is about the 2JZ-GTE in particular. After reading an article about the Supra, where it was claimed that it originally was intendet to produce 500-600 horsepower by the engineers, but Toyota's management, being conservative, had the engineers detune it to it's stock 320 horsepower, due to marked issues-i just wanted to know if this was true or if it was a journalist's imagination. I know the 2JZ-GTE has been tuned to produce extreme power, but much can be achieved with out changing in the internals?

I also read somewhere, some time ago, that the 7M-GTE in the Mk3 Supra, could gain 80-100 horsepower, simply by changing the exhaust. Seem pretty much to me, and i don't know if it's true, but come to think of it, the exhaust on the Mk3 Supra's i have seen look pretty narrow and restrictive, compared to a lot of other cars.

However, as i said, the question is about the 2JZ-GTE in particular

Nope 20-40 HP gain on a 7M-GTE ona very good day! Huge different in pickup and feel though!

I'd imagine a 2J would sit happily around the 500 mark without become a hazzard to itself. Of course this assumes that its done propler,y cooled adequatetly and the fueling is spot on!

Nope 20-40 HP gain on a 7M-GTE ona very good day! Huge different in pickup and feel though!

I'd imagine a 2J would sit happily around the 500 mark without become a hazzard to itself. Of course this assumes that its done propler,y cooled adequatetly and the fueling is spot on!

20-40 sounds more realistic, although the exhaust most likely is pretty retrictive.

Mind you, i wouldn't tune a 2JZ-GTE that high, that it in any way effected reliability, but wheater this article was correct or not, it is a known fact that the engine is popular among tuners because of it's potential in withstanding power, well over it's stock output.

It's found here by the way. http://www.torquecars.com/toyota/supra-tuning.php

The fact that the picture on the picture has a farkin great barry tastic body kitted cars says it all!

Yeah, well. I just found the remark about the intended 600 bhp, decrease after orders from the management a little funny. Making me think that perhaps this was a journalists fantasy, that hypothetically could be true

I've heard of one guy running 900bhp on a standard engine with simply a large single turbo conversion, massive cooling system and uprated fueling.

The 2JZ is nigh on indestructable as long as its tuned by someone who knows what they are doing...

I have heard of people running 700 hp on stock internaled 7Ms.... Just because someone ahs done it doesn't mean its a good idea ;)

You know im not recommending that anyone does it :P :lol: but toyota 6 cylinder engines are incredibly strong :)

Ofcourse, the more you tune, the more you compremise reliability. Question just is, where is the point where it's not safe.

My brother in law had a Renault, that had be chipped from around 130 to 170 horsepower, by the owner before him. After having it for a couple of months the engine was ******. Head, bearings, or more or less the intire engine broke down, before having 100.000 km on the clock

Stock internals are good for 600bhp in my honest opinion, but it all comes down to the exact boost pressure your running and what kind of cooling you have.

Most people tune up to around 400 as the small twin turbos wont flow much more than this. The single guys usually go to 500-550 as from that point onwards you need to have the gearbox reworked to make it last. The Auto is reliable at 500 and the 6 speed manual at 550 so im told.

i wana ask the same question but on a celica gt st202 non turbo just want it a little quicker and id be happy with it its about 177 bhp standard and gives known cars a good run eg integra type r dc2 and raced a magane sport turbo and didnt do bad 4 a standard 2.0 non turbo pic of my car www.crazybargains4u.synthasite.com thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links