Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Owner Rav4 1999 Auto

Steve_v

Hi, I am the proud owner of a 1999 Rav4 Auto 5 door for a whole 8 days now. I have used the search and I have just browsed the forum but still have a few unanswered questions hope someone can help me out here.

It had 100,000 on the clock, well just over, should I be concerned. I would normally not pay £2000 for a 9 year old car with such high mileage, especially petrol, but I did research the Rav4 before I bought and it seems it should be good for a few more miles yet. It is also in very good condition inside & out. There is almost full service history from a Toyota main dealer, up to about 96,000 from the original owner. There is only one other owner and although no service history ie stamps in book there are plenty of receipts for minor work done, all by a Toyota garage. At this age and mileage what should I be looking out for, there is no smoke from the exhaust and the auto box seems to be working fine. I havent seen anything on the cam belt being changed receipts wise but I would assume it has been done considering the full service documentation. Is it due to be done again?

Unfortunately there is no Owners manual with it is it possible to purchase one, I have googled it but so far no luck.

It is also an automatic and my first auto so am a bit unsure of best ways to use the auto box. O/D should that be switched on all the time, if not when to leave it off? Position 2 on the shift lever is I assume 2nd gear, should I use it or let the auto decide. Also what is the L position on the shift when would I use it? You will be pleased to know I have managed to work out P, R, N & D all by myself :lol:

When I bought the car the petrol gauge was showing empty the needle being right down but the low fuel warning light was not on. Also when I filled up I could only get 46ltrs in before the nozzle clicked. I never go beyond the click unless it is obviously not full but the fuel gauge was not completely up to the top, are the gauges reliable? I have done approx 200 miles since filling and the gauge is on 1/4 full does this seem about right fuel consumption wise, I live in a small town on the outskirts of Leeds so most driving is country roads.

Also something I have come across here that I am not sure of is Diff Lock. What is it and do I have it? If so where is it? I do realise that that question alone shows my newbieness, please try not to laugh, well out loud anyway :P

I said the outside is in good condition especially for the year but there is a slight dint on the front nearside wheel arch, it doent bother me at the moment but if I grow attached to this car, I can already feel it happening, is it likely to be a big job to repair. Can it be knocked out or will a new wing be required, it is not a very big dent.

I have loads more questions but this post is getting a little long so I will stop there for now.

Any help on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Hi, I am the proud owner of a 1999 Rav4 Auto 5 door for a whole 8 days now. I have used the search and I have just browsed the forum but still have a few unanswered questions hope someone can help me out here.

It had 100,000 on the clock, well just over, should I be concerned. RAV4s ARE WELL ABLE TO KEEP GOING MUCH LONGER THAN THIS AND I'VE SEEN OTHERS WITH 250,000 MILES ON THE CLOCK THAT ALSO HAVE AN AUTO BOX, SO YOU HAVE TO TRY HARD TO GET TO THAT!

I would normally not pay £2000 for a 9 year old car with such high mileage, especially petrol, but I did research the Rav4 before I bought and it seems it should be good for a few more miles yet. It is also in very good condition inside & out. BLINKING BARGAIN IF YOU ASK ME!!

There is almost full service history from a Toyota main dealer, up to about 96,000 from the original owner. CALM DOWN MY DEAR......ITS A TOYOTA

There is only one other owner and although no service history ie stamps in book there are plenty of receipts for minor work done, all by a Toyota garage. SHOULD BE IN TIP-TOP CONDITION THEN.

At this age and mileage what should I be looking out for, there is no smoke from the exhaust and the auto box seems to be working fine. UHHHHH .... WOULD YOU PREFER BLUE SMOKE FROM THE EXHAUST AND A CLUNKING FROM CHANGING GEARS???? PROPERLY SERVICED THIS ENGINE WILL CARRYU ON FOR A WHILE YET.

I havent seen anything on the cam belt being changed receipts wise but I would assume it has been done considering the full service documentation. Is it due to be done again? ITS DUE AT 60,000 MILES SO I'D RECKON IT WOULD HAVE BEEN DONE AS PART OF THE DEALERS STAMPED SERVICE. NEXT ONE AT 120,000 MILES. GET IT CHANGED NOW IF YOU WANT.

Unfortunately there is no Owners manual with it is it possible to purchase one, I have googled it but so far no luck. I DON'T HAVE A MANUAL FOR THAT YOUNG A CAR.

It is also an automatic and my first auto so am a bit unsure of best ways to use the auto box. O/D should that be switched on all the time, if not when to leave it off? I'VE READ THAT MOST FOLK LEAVE THE O/D ON. ITS UP TO YOU.

Position 2 on the shift lever is I assume 2nd gear, should I use it or let the auto decide. DO YOU INTEND BOMBING ALONG DUAL CARRIAGEWAYS AT 7000RPM? IF NOT, THEN LET THE BOX DO THE TALKING!

Also what is the L position on the shift when would I use it? You will be pleased to know I have managed to work out P, R, N & D all by myself :lol: L IS OF COURSE LOW GEAR WHEN YOU GO OFF-ROADING OR MUD-PLUGGING.

When I bought the car the petrol gauge was showing empty the needle being right down but the low fuel warning light was not on. Also when I filled up I could only get 46ltrs in before the nozzle clicked. I never go beyond the click unless it is obviously not full but the fuel gauge was not completely up to the top, are the gauges reliable? I'VE HAD MY 1994 RAV FROM NEW AND RUN IT TIL THE LOW FUEL LIGHT COMES ON WHEN I NORMALLY MANANGE TO GET 46 LITRES IN. FROM MEMORY, ITS A 60 LITRE TANK BUT YOU DON'T WANT TO RUN THE PETROL TOO LOW AS IT'LL PICK UP SLUDGE.

I have done approx 200 miles since filling and the gauge is on 1/4 full does this seem about right fuel consumption wise, I live in a small town on the outskirts of Leeds so most driving is country roads. I USE MY NUMBER 1 RAV FEROCIOUSLY AND GET 240 MILES TO A TANK APPROX. YOU'LL PROBABLY GET AROUND 300+ MILES. I USE SHELL VPOWER BUT YOUR ENGINE WILL BE HAPPY WITH EITHER...I'D NOT ALWAYS USE SUPERMARKET PETROL THOUGH.

Also something I have come across here that I am not sure of is Diff Lock. What is it and do I have it? If so where is it? I do realise that that question alone shows my newbieness, please try not to laugh, well out loud anyway :P THE DIFF LOCK IS A BUTTON ON THE DASH WHICH BASICALLY LOCKS THE DRIVE TO THE FRONT AND BACK WHEELS SORT OF THING...REALLY FOR DRIVING ON MUD OR SNOW OR ICE...AND NOT FOR NORMAL ROAD USE.

I said the outside is in good condition especially for the year but there is a slight dint on the front nearside wheel arch, it doent bother me at the moment but if I grow attached to this car, I can already feel it happening, is it likely to be a big job to repair. Can it be knocked out or will a new wing be required, it is not a very big dent. THE METAL USED ON THE WINGS AND BODYWORK IS NOT QUITE THE 16 GAUGE THEY USED CENTURIES AGO - PARTLY TO REDUCE WEIGHT. THE DOWNSIDE OF THAT IS THAT THE PANELS CAN DENT QUITE EASILY - I HAVE SMALL DENTS ON THE FRONT WINGS AND DOORS AND ON THE ROOF BY THE REMOVEABLE ROOF PANELS. I JUST LIVE WITH THEM - YOU CAN GET ONE OF THE DENT REPAIR FOLK TO REMOVE IT BUT GET QUOTES FIRST. A NEW FRONT WING IS ABOUT £30 + THE COST OF SPRAYING.

I have loads more questions but this post is getting a little long so I will stop there for now.

Any help on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Haha - a dissertation for your first post?? Well done and welcome!! Rather than answer the questions below, I've added a reply through your script.

Haha - a dissertation for your first post?? Well done and welcome!! Rather than answer the questions below, I've added a reply through your script.

Yep sorry I do tend to waffle on a bit, just be grateful I havent been drinking :eek:

Thanks for the welcome and such a comprehensive reply you just about answered all my questions in one post. Just one point I dont seem to have a button that will do the Diff Lock so assuming I dont have that option. I do have a button which says ECT Power, I had assumed that was for the heating :wacko: which just shows what I know, it seems its something to do with the gear change :ffs:

Thanks again for your help

Steve

Yep sorry I do tend to waffle on a bit, just be grateful I havent been drinking :eek:

Thanks for the welcome and such a comprehensive reply you just about answered all my questions in one post. Just one point I dont seem to have a button that will do the Diff Lock so assuming I dont have that option. I do have a button which says ECT Power, I had assumed that was for the heating :wacko: which just shows what I know, it seems its something to do with the gear change :ffs:

Thanks again for your help

Steve

To be honest, I'm not an expert on the auto range and I seem to remember old (!) anchs posting a reply here recently on the auto buttons..... :P :P Dementia prevents me from recounting the post :lol: :lol:

(Written after a few muscle relaxants afore a go aff tae bed......tae sleep)

ECT is for Electronically Controled Transmission. Normal delivers better mileage. ECT makes the transmission hold onto lower gears a little bit longer. which will give better acceleration but you might not notice much

To be honest, I'm not an expert on the auto range and I seem to remember old (!) anchs posting a reply here recently on the auto buttons..... :P :P Dementia prevents me from recounting the post :lol: :lol:

Thanks once again or your reply. I have had a quick search for anchormans posts but havent found it yet. I'll try again tomorrow when the muscle relaxant I took earlier (the one with BNJ on the bottle) wears off :P Well it is sat tomorrow after all

Steve

ECT is for Electronically Controled Transmission. Normal delivers better mileage. ECT makes the transmission hold onto lower gears a little bit longer. which will give better acceleration but you might not notice much

Thanks for your reply. I gave it a go today gives a bit of a kick when you put your foot down. Cant see it helping with the mpg tho.

Steve

Thanks once again or your reply. I have had a quick search for anchormans posts but havent found it yet. I'll try again tomorrow when the muscle relaxant I took earlier (the one with BNJ on the bottle) wears off :P Well it is sat tomorrow after all

Steve

I think it was this;

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...ed+transmission

Excellent link thanks it almost answers everything .... except ....

Dont appear to have MANU on my Rav or a Diff lock option is this expected for a late 99 Rav auto.

Thanks to everyone who has posted a reply they have all been helpful in me getting to know my Rav, the questions will stop soon I promise :D

Steve

Excellent link thanks it almost answers everything .... except ....

Dont appear to have MANU on my Rav or a Diff lock option is this expected for a late 99 Rav auto.

Thanks to everyone who has posted a reply they have all been helpful in me getting to know my Rav, the questions will stop soon I promise :D

Steve

Bought a 1999 3 door EX with 106,000 miles for £1400 in November, must be those extra doors that put the price up.

However it came with a service history and an owners manual and since I already have a 2000 GXS with a manual if you still want one please PM with your address and I will post you the 1999 one early next week.

Bought a 1999 3 door EX with 106,000 miles for £1400 in November, must be those extra doors that put the price up.

When I was looking I saw a number of 3 doors for sale and they were a bit cheaper than the 5 door one. He originally wanted £2795 and when I saw it advertised in AT it was down to £2495. I still thought £2000 was a bit overpriced but I did want the car and was prepared to pay a little over the odds.

However it came with a service history and an owners manual and since I already have a 2000 GXS with a manual if you still want one please PM with your address and I will post you the 1999 one early next week.

You sir are a scholar and a gentleman and a PM will be winging its way to you as soon as I have posted this.

Steve

When I was looking I saw a number of 3 doors for sale and they were a bit cheaper than the 5 door one. He originally wanted £2795 and when I saw it advertised in AT it was down to £2495. I still thought £2000 was a bit overpriced but I did want the car and was prepared to pay a little over the odds.

You sir are a scholar and a gentleman and a PM will be winging its way to you as soon as I have posted this.

Steve

On it's way this morning - hope it answers a few of your questions.

On it's way this morning - hope it answers a few of your questions.

Thank you, I am sure it will be a great help.

Steve

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links