Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 2.0 2005 D4d Notchy Manual Gearbox

fuzzyphil

Hi, My wife and I have recently purchased an '05 2.0 Diesel Rav 4 with a manual gearbox from a Toyota dealer. My wife complained to me that she thought the gearbox was fiddly especially between 1st and 2nd gear and also sometimes awkward to get into reverse. Having test driven the RAV4 myself I have to admit that it does feel a little notchy between gears and reverse is a bit of a challenge. Each time I selected reverse I had to press the clutch more than once fully to the floor, neutral then reattempt. The clutch feels ok (?) as it changes higher gears with no problems. My concern is that there maybe a problem with the gearbox.

As we've only owned it for four weeks and its our first 4WD I have no previous experience of how this gearbox should feel.

Anybody got any advice as to what we should expect from this gearbox - super smooth or naturally notchy.

Peace of mind advice would be much appreciated please.

Phil.

Had ours a couple of weeks and come to the same conclusion, especially 1st to 2nd. My wife is getting used to it although she doesn't like it.

Sadly seems normal. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that - Anybody else think that the notchy feel is normal or maybe theres an alternative reason.

Are they like this from new ???

Rest assured Phil, there is nothing wrong with your gearbox. If you put "notchy" into the RAV search you will come up with numerous similar comments.

It is partly down to the box and partly to the cable gearchange. At the bottom of the gearstick there are quite strong detent springs and they create a notchy feel.

Enjoy your car.

Take up basketball - it'll strengthen your upper body and arms...... :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links