Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Light Warning Indicator Is On

ksporry

Guys,

For a year or so, I have been driving around with a rear light warning indication on the instrument panel. The light comes on when i press the brake pedal and stays on until I switch the car off.

It seems to imply that at least one of the brake lights is out. However, this is not the case, all brake lights seem to be working fine.

Now there is a bit more to the wiring than just factory standard. At some point someone disconnected two brake lights. You should know that I have a japanese import that does not have a proper fog light on the back. Someone seems to have cut off the two inner brake lights. This however does not cause the problem. It shall become clear in a moment.

The light came on ever since some ****** garage wired in a light switch to use a "spare" rear brake light as fog light. He claimed that I have a fog light and therefore I HAVE to have a switch. However, it doesn't have a rear fog light, they are brake lights only. Anyway, he wired it as followed: he spliced into a Red-White wire on the right connector on the steering wheel (seems to be headlight-HI control line according to some Celica wiring diagrams). Interestingly this is not a high power line. he then ran the wire from the splice to a switch. the switch has a second wire running to the lamp and a third wire running to chassis. EXcept for the splice I think the installation itself seems ok though. I wonder if the splice is causing the brake system to get upset. However, I tried disconnecting the new wires from the switch completely, but that did not solve the problem. So even with the switch disconnected completely, it is stll lighting the warning light.

So now I am thinking if maybe a light bulb is actually making bad contact, resulting in the brake light functioning correctly, but the bad contact maybe causing the warning light to come on?

Anyone who can shed some light on this?

I had the same warning light on which annoyed me no end and the fog light had been added as an extra lamp rather than like yours adapted into lights.

I changed all bulbs and problem still persisted so in the end I removed the bulb from the warning indicator light on dash.

alternativley i could have rewired the fog light i suppose but i wanted to remove additional light and wire as uk spec into normal light cluster removing the 2 inside brake lights - maybe in summer i will mess a little further and rewire feed for fog lights to see if this resolves the issue correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a Quick reply to this i had the same problem with the gen 6 import.

With mine has a separate fog light wired separatly which works fine the bulb in the foglight was corroded so changed that and the light went out on the dash.

Only then i press the brake pedal the light came on

Now my celica still has the 4 brake lights the problem was that the centre brake light had a loose connection fixed that now all is fine no light on at all.

Could be that changing to the single brake lights might be causing this.

As mine is all fine now with the 4 brake lights.

Could be worth putting the 4 brake lights back and fitting a aftermarket fog

As that light annoyed me for days

Hope this helps

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links