Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Fluid Replacement

Mike L

I have a Toyota Prius, but this cautionary tale applies to all toyota models . The dealer advised that the brake fluid be changed at the 20,000 mile service at an extra charge of £117.40 for labour (1.1 hours) and fluid . However the Toyota maintenance schedule for Europe shows it as a requirement to replace it and NOT just a recommendation.

It may be of interest to others to know that Toyota Customer Service (01737 367600) told me that the labour should be included in the charge for the 20,000 service, not extra, but the fluid is chargeable. Confronted with this, the Service Department at Andrew Rowley Toyota - St Albans agreed in the end to do the whole lot for free. I have been told that other dealers are trying to get away with this also.

SO is you are asked to pay an extra labour charge for replacing brake fluid at the required service intervals. You shouldn't! - Mike

I have a Toyota Prius, but this cautionary tale applies to all toyota models . The dealer advised that the brake fluid be changed at the 20,000 mile service at an extra charge of £117.40 for labour (1.1 hours) and fluid . However the Toyota maintenance schedule for Europe shows it as a requirement to replace it and NOT just a recommendation.

It may be of interest to others to know that Toyota Customer Service (01737 367600) told me that the labour should be included in the charge for the 20,000 service, not extra, but the fluid is chargeable. Confronted with this, the Service Department at Andrew Rowley Toyota - St Albans agreed in the end to do the whole lot for free. I have been told that other dealers are trying to get away with this also.

SO is you are asked to pay an extra labour charge for replacing brake fluid at the required service intervals. You shouldn't! - Mike

This is almost as bad as garages charging to top up the windscreen washer reservoir isn't it?

One thing to ask is whether they dispose of their waste oils and fluids correctly. Pouring it down the drain or onto soft ground just introduces pollution. In the future, if you claim ignorance of where the waste goes, it will not be a defence - as you own the old oil, you must make sure the fluids etc are disposed of in the correct accepted and certified manner. In real terms, you are transferring waste and so should perhaps obtain a waste transfer certificate. As we all know, tyre sales companies charge about £3 which is the cost to have the tyre replaced. However, research I have completed shows that this money is pocketed by the owners and the tyres dumped illegally - often at some risk to children, wildlife, and frequently the environment when they are illegally set fire.

It would be interesting to find out if the brake fluid is a recyclable commodity - I will ask around my friends in the waste industry.

This is almost as bad as garages charging to top up the windscreen washer reservoir isn't it?

One thing to ask is whether they dispose of their waste oils and fluids correctly. Pouring it down the drain or onto soft ground just introduces pollution. In the future, if you claim ignorance of where the waste goes, it will not be a defence - as you own the old oil, you must make sure the fluids etc are disposed of in the correct accepted and certified manner. In real terms, you are transferring waste and so should perhaps obtain a waste transfer certificate. As we all know, tyre sales companies charge about £3 which is the cost to have the tyre replaced. However, research I have completed shows that this money is pocketed by the owners and the tyres dumped illegally - often at some risk to children, wildlife, and frequently the environment when they are illegally set fire.

It would be interesting to find out if the brake fluid is a recyclable commodity - I will ask around my friends in the waste industry.

Who said it was being thrown down the drain or poured into the ground? I think you completely missed the meaning of the thread

Brake fluid IS recyclable and will be drained off. ALL Toyota dealers have an enviromental policy and MUST recycle their waste products, I should know, it costs us many several ££££'s, all of which has to come off the bottom line :eek:

Brake fluid IS changeable every two years, however depending on what menu is used, the labour charge is sometimes included, in others it is not. Nobody can force you to have it done, if you dont want it done then say so, just remember the fluid does retain moisture over time and should be replaced periodically, with ABS, EBD etc, it is important that the internal componants do not come into contact with this moisture over a long period. DOT5.1 is the new standard for fluid

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links