Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Satnav Mount

Davrav

Having found the Rav 4.3 windscreen quite deep and a bit of a stretch to reach conveniently, and also not wishing to have sucker marks or attach directly to dash surface, have come up with the following mount. It sits on the top left of the instrument binnacle and can be removed in seconds.

Have tested it on some pretty rough roads and it seems to stay in place with no problems.

DSCN2511.jpg

The gap between binnacle trim and the dash can be opened with careful use of credit card or similar:

DSCN2533.jpg

The front edge of the mount is simply trapped in the gap and the foam [left over from making the storage unit divider] provides further grip and cushioning.

DSCN2532.jpg

I have used a self adhesive disc as a temporary measure until I have time to make an attached ball joint [my original screen mount is just a bit tall when in place]

DSCN2531.jpg

DSCN2512.jpg

Driver view:DSCN2513.jpg

I used 22g stainless sheet but brass would be fine and aluminium at a push.

I have a measured drawing that I can e-mail if anyone wishes to try this one. Just PM me.

Having found the Rav 4.3 windscreen quite deep and a bit of a stretch to reach conveniently, and also not wishing to have sucker marks or attach directly to dash surface, have come up with the following mount. It sits on the top left of the instrument binnacle and can be removed in seconds.

Have tested it on some pretty rough roads and it seems to stay in place with no problems.

DSCN2511.jpg

The gap between binnacle trim and the dash can be opened with careful use of credit card or similar:

DSCN2533.jpg

The front edge of the mount is simply trapped in the gap and the foam [left over from making the storage unit divider] provides further grip and cushioning.

DSCN2532.jpg

I have used a self adhesive disc as a temporary measure until I have time to make an attached ball joint [my original screen mount is just a bit tall when in place]

DSCN2531.jpg

DSCN2512.jpg

Driver view:DSCN2513.jpg

I used 22g stainless sheet but brass would be fine and aluminium at a push.

I have a measured drawing that I can e-mail if anyone wishes to try this one. Just PM me.

Looks very neat, well done

Brilliant! Excellent design, simple and elegant. Nicely done.

Looks very neat.

How secure is it though? looks like it could detach in a shunt and make your sat nav and mount fly around the cabin!?

This is why I am personally wary of those beanbag mounts that you can get to rest sat navs and phones on but do not actually secure - not good when the unthinkable happens :(

Looks very neat.

How secure is it though? looks like it could detach in a shunt and make your sat nav and mount fly around the cabin!?

This is why I am personally wary of those beanbag mounts that you can get to rest sat navs and phones on but do not actually secure - not good when the unthinkable happens :(

Well Hoovie, I'm not planning to test it to destruction :unsure:

This issue did occur to me but it is in front of the airbag deployment area and it seems no less secure than the vent mounted types. I have had suction cups fall off the screen whilst driving and that in itself is a hazard [thats why I will be permanently fixing a ball mount to the base]

Can't make any claims as to safety or otherwise but how safe are the suction mounts? Many drivers have a whole host of other potential 'missiles' loose in their vehicles.

I accept your point though - I guess it's down to potential risk versus convenience.

Looks very neat.

Well Hoovie, I'm not planning to test it to destruction :unsure:

This issue did occur to me but it is in front of the airbag deployment area and it seems no less secure than the vent mounted types. I have had suction cups fall off the screen whilst driving and that in itself is a hazard [thats why I will be permanently fixing a ball mount to the base]

Can't make any claims as to safety or otherwise but how safe are the suction mounts? Many drivers have a whole host of other potential 'missiles' loose in their vehicles.

I accept your point though - I guess it's down to potential risk versus convenience.

You are quite right about the suction mounts, etc.  those things can become missiles in a car as well.

I did not intend to knock your solution, it really does look good  :thumbsup:

I recall when I was a service engineer, we used to carry kit in the boot of the cars - Maestros and Montegos - and one guy had a printer in the boot of his Maestro.  Had a prang and the printer came through the back seat, through the front passenger seat back and destroyed the seat.

If he happened to have dropped the printer on the other side of the boot, he'd be dead or best in a wheelchair with a broken back.

So I just get a bit paranoid with things potentially flying around in cars unsecured.  :(

Had a prang

I feel a touch of classic British understatement at this point? :o

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links