Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Electric Fans T-180

harleymlb

Noticed lately that the electric fans seem to be on alot.

The engine runs at normal temprature halfway between hot and cold. It does this even without A/C on and normal steady driving on A/B roads.

Anyone else noticed this? It has been back to dealers but they said the fans cut in and out as per what they are supposed to. Its not even that hot in the UK at the moment!

The engine runs at normal temprature halfway between hot and cold. It does this even without A/C on and normal steady driving on A/B roads.

Anyone else noticed this? It has been back to dealers but they said the fans cut in and out as per what they are supposed to. Its not even that hot in the UK at the moment!

Hi,

If, as the dealer says, the fans are cutting in and out at the correct temperature, then this is almost certainly a design feature - the engine needs to warm up as quickly as possible to achieve fuel economy and reduce emmissions. This would mean that you would have a smallish radiator ( in terms of it's cooling capacity ) and a very efficient fan(s). It would be worth checking the quantity of coolant in the system by looking at the level in the expansion tank, though it's pretty unlikely that you have a problem with the coolant on a T180 as they are all pretty "young" at this time.

Word of warning! if you check the coolant and all is well, have a look at the front of the radiator itself ( probably have to take the plastic moulding that covers the tops of the headlights and the radiator off ) to make sure that it is not covered in any forign matter. If it is ON NO ACCOUNT use a pressure washer to remove it as it's very easy to wreck the radiator doing so.

Even Land Rovers have smaller capacity radiators these days - and they traditionally had a radiator big enough to cross the Sahara and a heater big enough to cross the Artic ;)

Unless you want to get a big point across...it's better to use smaller fonts.... ;) ;) ;) ;)

It has been milder lately so the fans are on to regulate the temperature in the engine... unless they are squealing and causing a right racket... I would not worry about this....

I wouldn't worry either. The RAV 2.2 diesel has a bit of trouble trying to strike a balance in regulating the temperature. On the one hand it is very "thermally efficient" and takes an awful long time to heat up. The radiator is as small as it can be to assist in this matter but it has to be big enough to deal with high ambient temperature when the engine eventually warms up! In this case the fans will have to be on their toes to prevent overheating but the best way of knowing if all is well is to look at the temperature gauge. It should be pretty well in the middle most of the time but may climb a bit especially in stop start situations when the weather is warm. Even on a hot day the "ram air" which is being forced through the radiator once the vehicle is doing over about 20-25mph is far more than the fans can manage.

I agree with Chris though - it is worth a look to see if the radiator core is blocked. If the radiator gets bad enough even the fans working full time would see that temperature gauge rise and whatever happens don't overheat the engine.

My T180 fans cut in quite a lot but the temperature gauge is always very steady at mid way between hot and cold - as Anchorman says the system is very efficient - I would not worry unless the temp gauge is going over the mid point but check that your radiator is not blocked with flies, rubbish etc,.

I am not sure but is there a seperate intercooler radiator which is cooled and if hard driving does it get extra cooled with the fans?

Guy

Sorry about the font size. Anyway thanks for all the advice so far. I will keep an eye on it though. Mark.

My T180 fans cut in quite a lot but the temperature gauge is always very steady at mid way between hot and cold - as Anchorman says the system is very efficient - I would not worry unless the temp gauge is going over the mid point but check that your radiator is not blocked with flies, rubbish etc,.

I am not sure but is there a seperate intercooler radiator which is cooled and if hard driving does it get extra cooled with the fans?

Guy

Guy

There is a radiator "sandwich" behind the bumper comprising of the cooling radiator, the A/C condensor and the intercooler. The latter used to sit under the scoop which is on the bonnet of the 4.2s but that had to go to meet NCAP requirements.

The fans tend not to do much when the vehicle is in motion and that is when the intercooler has the biggest affect.

cooling.pdf

Guy

Guy

There is a radiator "sandwich" behind the bumper comprising of the cooling radiator, the A/C condensor and the intercooler. The latter used to sit under the scoop which is on the bonnet of the 4.2s but that had to go to meet NCAP requirements.

The fans tend not to do much when the vehicle is in motion and that is when the intercooler has the biggest affect.

Thanks Anchorman,

The pdf makes it very clear, I did not realise that there were three 'radiators' in a 'sandwich'

Guy

for what its worth, which is not a lot, the electric fan on number 1 is on a lot if the car is stationary or going slow (not often that happens). The car is well hammered and despite this, the cooling system happily keeps the temp exactly on half-way.

Number 2 takes a bit longer to heat up, but then its not boosted up to the same level as number 1 and its more of a normal road use car, despite having the turbo engine. The intercooler seems more efficient at keeping the air flow temp well cool. However, the fan cuts in a lot if stationary.

As has been said, as long as the temp doesn't creep up to the hot, then alls well.

Which is more than can be said for my landrover - hammer along at 35mph and the thing overheats, and thats with the heater full on!! Guess it needs a larger radiator/ one that isn't full of sludge.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links