Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2004 Rear Brake Pad Replacment

kj301

I tried to replace the rear pad this weekend but ran into trouble with the rear pads. There are two pins that hold the pads in place. I was able to remove the spring clip and anit rattle springs, but I had no idea how to get the pad guide pins out. They are rusted in good. I sprayed them with bolt blaster, but still couldn't get them out. I was trying to get them out by using a punch on the inner side of the caliper where the pin sticks out (but doesn't stick out that much) but I wasn't able to get either pin to move much. Is there I trick to this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

KJ

Hi and welcome to the club.

It can be awkward to get those pins out but the risk is that if you are not careful you will break the caliper. Having said that the best way is to knock them quite firmly with a broad ended punch. If you have access to oxy acetylene then it will be a great help to heat the caliper around the pin. You can also try gripping the pin with mole grips and twisting it to get it moving then puch it out. If you get it moving, knock it out a few mm then give it some WD40 and send it back in then back out and so on in increasing amounts. These calipers have an inherant weakness in that they wear badly at the point where the pad contacts the abutment and it can cause them to knock or rattle as the wheel goes around. You can see the worn abutments in thisd photo;

IMG_1732-1.jpg

If all else fails the caliper will have to be replaced but it is a fairly straight forward job.

Thanks for the help. I'm on the right path, i was being conservative as to not break something.

KJ

Any tips and tricks for getting it back together after the new pads are in? I hope all the springs and clips fit nicely with the new pads.

Check that the caliper slides freely on the guide pins then use a broad lever to push the piston back in. Slide the pads in, fit the pins and r clips;

IMG_1746-1.jpg

and if you still have them make sure the stainless steel tension springs go under the pins;

IMG_1747-1.jpg

These have the dual role of helping to retain the pins but also put spring pressure onto the pads to surpress noise.

When it is all back together be sure to pump the brake pedal to push the pads back out or you will need clean undies the first time you press the brake as the pedal will go to the floor!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links