Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Extended Warranties

madruss

Hi all,

What are your thoughts on toyota extended warranties?

My rav is out of warranty next week, and have just looked online for prices, and they're quoting £545 for 1 Year, or £805 for 2 years. Is this reasonable, do you think its worth it?

I know its a chance you take, but just wanted to ask your experiences/thoughts?

Thanks

Do a search as it has been discussed many times on here.

General conclusion is they are not worth it.

As an ex-mechanic i can see the pros and cons of taking out a warranty, now an aftermarket warranty is not worth a wa*k, they are truly not worth the paper they are printed on, the reason being they only replace a part once its failed, so you may hear a noisy wheel bearing but they will only replace it once its broken :rolleyes:

Now a Toyota warranty will replace a part before It fails and cover 75% of items that were covered when the vehicle was new ,clearly it would be unreasonable to expect disc, pads ,tyres, wipers, clutches to be include as they are all wear and tear items but a used car Toyota warranty will pay for itself if you get a oxygen sensor problem, the petrol RAV4 has 4 oxygen sensors fitted around the catalytic converter ,as the cars get older the sensors corrode into the converter and if the mechanic can't get them out thats 4 new sensors and a catalytic converter £1200 thank you very much !

So if you can afford a Toyota warranty i would suggest its good value for money, bearing in mind the price of items like engines,gearboxes ,diff etc....the choice is yours :thumbsup: .

It's early days with these 4.3s and we don't really know if there are any skeletons lurking in the cupboard. My view is that those kind of fees pay quite a lot towards the cost of a repair if it should need it. I personally prefer to stick to my money and and cough up only if necessary.

There have been however, some who have either done well out of having the cover or got a nice warm feeling from having it.

So before you go for that insurance punk you got to ask yourself a question.............

.........do ya feel lucky.........

.......well do ya?

well madruss

i own a 4.2 d4d,51 reg..i purchased the vehicle almost 31/2 years ago now.i had 1 years guarantee supplied with the used car programme.

i have taken out additional extended guarantees eversince..because when i purchased the vehicle it came with the 'dreaded wierd engine noise' that d4d's make.

its not been until recently that we on these forums have discovered what causes this noise,but my rav has been in and out of the dealership many times over the last couple of years,days at a time...and its not cost me a thing.

so far they have replaced the audio unit,which started smoking on the m6!,that was on g/tee,water pump..which they thought was causing 'the noise'.various belts have all been replaced.

and now finally they are replacing the fuel filter and pump which is the cause of 'the noise'.

so do i have any regrets about spending approx £50 a month ?

none whatsoever,i have a rav that has done close to 80'000 now,i have full rac cover,the vehicle gets repaired on the guarantee,i get courtesy car while its being fixed.

toyotas labour charges are very expensive,i dont have to worry about that at moment,that point alone is worth my monthly payment.

my only worry is when my car reaches 7 years old in october,i cannot purchase anymore toyota guarantees after that....as 7 years old is the limit.

but having said all this my rav has never broken down in the almost 50'000 miles i covered in it...not even a blown bulb!!,its had odd niggle.....but its never let me down

GOOD OLD TOYOTA RELIABILITY......ITS A VERY GOOD REASON WHY WE BUY THEM

I haven't seen earlier threads but am grateful for this one as I'm looking at the same issue but with another manufacturer, who want a bit more than a thousand quid a year.... (let's just say they are a prestige marque)

Discussion amongst that BBS is that most people are going with Tesco Finest for about 450, they think it will give as good value.

Here, if what Uncle Bob says is true, then I'd prefer to pay a bit extra and go for the Toyota one.

I don't know how it works in the UK, but here in the US the price of a Toyota extended warranty is totally negotiable. You can buy the warranty from any Toyota dealer, so get quotes from several. When I bought my RAV a few months ago the dealer tried to sell me an extended warranty for something like $1200! I turned down his offer knowing that I could wait and buy an extended warranty anytime before the factory warranty ran out. I found several Toyota dealerships several states away that could sell me the same warranty online for $500-600! The profit margin must be tremendous for these things. Just remember, the price is not etched in stone, you can haggle with them or take your business elsewhere.

I'm in the same boat as you at the end of July. Have you seen if the small print covers the TPMS thingys in the wheels?

I'll need 2 of the dreaded Run-flats for the MOT test and if the TPMS gismo's are covered then money back if they break?

The leaflet you get at the dealership doesn't give a definitive list. Does any body know?

I'm in the same boat as you at the end of July. Have you seen if the small print covers the TPMS thingys in the wheels?

I'll need 2 of the dreaded Run-flats for the MOT test and if the TPMS gismo's are covered then money back if they break?

The leaflet you get at the dealership doesn't give a definitive list. Does any body know?

Welcome to the club.

Even if the TPMS valves are covered it will only be for faulty manufacture. If the tyre fitter breaks one I doubt you will be paid out.

I am a bit perplexed about an extended warranty :unsure: The main reason is at 3yr old when the std warranty runs out my car will prob have done about 15000mls so "great" nothing should go wrong with it, however my 4.2 developed dmf problems at 23500 mls albeit 5yrs old and of course because of its age it was not covered, the point is if i was a 12000 a year man then it would assumedly of happened at 2yrs old, well inside the std warranty, so i would welcome anyones thoughts on this, and i wonder if i could negotiate a lower cost ext wrty based on a low annual mileage? :unsure: OR should i not bother?

Aren't they usually X miles or Y years, whichever is the sooner?

TBH low mileage cars have various mechanical problems so I wouldn't give a discount for that if I was selling.

I am a bit perplexed about an extended warranty :unsure: The main reason is at 3yr old when the std warranty runs out my car will prob have done about 15000mls so "great" nothing should go wrong with it, however my 4.2 developed dmf problems at 23500 mls albeit 5yrs old and of course because of its age it was not covered, the point is if i was a 12000 a year man then it would assumedly of happened at 2yrs old, well inside the std warranty, so i would welcome anyones thoughts on this, and i wonder if i could negotiate a lower cost ext wrty based on a low annual mileage? :unsure: OR should i not bother?

There are two warranty options based on mileage - one is unlimited and the other is 10,000 miles a year.  Not a lot of difference in the price.

I took out the toyota warranty and decided to do that as peace of mind insurance TBH, rather then change my car early to keep within the standard warranty. took out 2 year policy, 1st year is done in about a month and not claimed yet.

Some may say it was a waste of money in that case, but could say same thing about insurance (and why people pay extra for fully comp + protected NCD instead of staying with the basic minimum TPFT cover)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links