Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica St185 Heater Matrix

nigelhocking

I have a leaking heater matrix in my ST185, can anyone tell how easy is it to remove the dash and heater assembly.

Also does anyone know the price of a recon heater matrix.

Your help will be appreciated

thanks

nige

you need to try an see if anyone can tell you if the st202 etc will fit iv found a link on eBay for a nearly new 1 for you to look at shame you havent got yours out yet then you could ask him for measurements etc or maybe see if the 1 out of the mr2 mk2 is the same

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Celica-HEATER...A1%7C240%3A1318

Did one a couple of years back on a Gen 5 - it's a bit of an involved job, but not that tricky

Make sure you've got plenty of time, daylight and TCP at the ready. Dashboard has to come out !

I would advise against fitting a second hand one though. It's such a chew on to remove and replace the matrix that you want the peace of mind that you'd only get from a brand new unit. You don't want to find that the replacement one leaks after a year or sooner.

I got mine from Motorcool Services on Teesside, but any radiator services place ( or decent motor factors ) should be able to get hold of one for you. Cost me about 55 quid if I recall correctly.

im in to minds about changing mine in me gt-4 st185 the heater never blows hot just take the chil out th car if im lucky ?? ive checked the heater valve under the bonnet that working fine i think moves both ways ive got a spear matrix just ante into taking the dash out?? i was in a scrappers the othr day and there was a gen 5 in there and somone had got the matrix out without taking all the dash out just centre consol and glove box ?? anyone else trid this

ive been there well almost left the top half inplace there was defo 1 in th breakers with most of th dash still in place the only way to find out is to get stuck in ill sort a day out very soon going to try another heater valve first ??

The aircon is the biggest problem as the heater matrix is sort of wedged behind it.

If you don't have aircon then it's probably a damn site easier

DSCF7013.jpg

i managed to keep in the dash, would think it'd be esaier to take the dash out tho, it's an extremely fiddly job and you could bend the matrix, it is designed to have the dash removed to take it out as it slides straight up once the pipes are through the firewall

Once you've got the car that far, it's only a little bit more work to remove the dash completely.

I know from experience that it's easy to fracture the pipes that go through the bulkhead if you try and wiggle it in at a funny angle ( oo er missus ). It's the kind of job you don't want to do twice - especially if it was your own fault the first one split a pipe !

I have a leaking heater matrix in my ST185, can anyone tell how easy is it to remove the dash and heater assembly.

Also does anyone know the price of a recon heater matrix.

Your help will be appreciated

thanks

nige

Hi Nige,

I replaced my HM last year in my st202. Can't imagine it would be much different. Got some amateur info for ya, hope it helps:

- Job is easy enough BUT takes time.

- Set a side a whole weekend. Do it indoors if possible.

- Buy lots of tea/coffee ;)

- Use a camera/camcorder and carefully record where everything (nuts, bolts, fasteners etc) came from. You will thank me when it comes to putting everything back. TIP: Tape screws and fixing to the units they belong to when you remove them. That way you know what goes with what when everything goes back.

- Buy a NEW matrix (£70)! Its sooooo worth it. Its not worth the hassle getting on from a scrap yard or a reconditioned one only to find you have to take the dash out again to repair another matrix.

- Tools: Star key set. Screw driver set. Steering wheel puller (you'll need to take the steering wheel off at some point). Spanner set. Wrench and socket set. Boat load of patience!

Disassembly - Can't be specific I'm afraid as I would be typing for days ;)

- Take your time and DO NOT force anything, it will break. If you get frustrated walk away for five and come back to it... sounds stupid but it can get frustrating. Everything, should, come apart if taken apart in a logical way.

- Take the front seats out. I didn't do this but in hind sight wish I had.

- Start at the centre consol (at the gear lever) and work your way out from there. The trimming around the gear stick should just pull up and off (unscrew gear knob first ;)). After that follow your nose and your on your away.

- Before working on the steering wheel: Disengage the air bag and remove it! This thing will take your freaking head off if your not careful ;).

- Wiring: if you need to cut any loose (as a lot of the loom is taped to the dash) ensure there is no pinching or scope for rubbing when putting wires back. Use some form of strong tape or bag ties to secure wires again. THIS IS IMPORTANT. You'd surprised how much things move when you drive. If you don't secure things it wont be long before you hear part of the loom making an irritating knock/squeak or you get an electrical failure due to wear on the wire.

- When enough is enough call it a day.

Assembly

- Everything you did to take the dash off in reverse ;).

- Refer to your photos/recordings

- Be thorough when re-attaching things. Squeaks, rattles and knocks will result from not reattaching things at all the points. Let over screws will be a tell tail sign ;) BUT if you do it properly this wont be a problem :D.

- Take your time DO NOT force anything... ;)

- yada yada yada

- Have fun lol! ;)

Hope this helps

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links