Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cts Test Drive - Is This Normal?

Want_One

Hi All,

Took a 2004 CTS for a test drive. Was lucky enough to take it onto a motorway for about 10mins. I was doing about 80 in 6th and noticed the revs at 4500+ - is this normal??? I thought the point of having 6th gear was for cruising!

Any CTS owners have similar experience on motorways? Is it always that loud at 80+ ???

Are TTE earplugs available!?! :wacko:

My revs sit at 4k rpm at @ 80mph :huh:

What does that do to the MPG figures on a long journey i.e 100 miles?

Just thought it was a bit high for 6th gear. I'm sure my 1.8 GXi does that at 4k rpm in 5th!

Just thought it was a bit high for 6th gear. I'm sure my 1.8 GXi does that at 4k rpm in 5th!

The gearing doesn't change from car to car, 4000rpm sounds about right at 80mph. Don't forget this engine was built to rev and all the torque and power is up high, hence the gearing.

Put it this way, i use to get about 280 miles out of about 50 litres of fuel in the T Sport, which works out around 26mpg.

This is a mixture of motorway and town, but with lots of lift use. :thumbsup:

well i can sit on the m'way at 80 gettin high 30's low 40's mpg

for a full tank i rarely get 300 miles in, but i do all town driving, no motorway, its all stop start n gear changing etc

heres a linky to mpg thread:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...hl=fuel+economy

hope this helps ;) :D

On mainly motorway journey's i get around 40mpg.... record being 41mpg going to/coming back from last years JAE :thumbsup:

dont do hardly any motorway driving so cant help but our 6th gear is well known to be rubbish, im sure someone a while back posted a link to a new 6th gear cog or summet like that. my mpg doesnt realy move from 26mpg

On mainly motorway journey's i get around 40mpg.... record being 41mpg going to/coming back from last years JAE :thumbsup:

ha beat u gaz i gt 42.7 average on way back from NEC sat between 75-80 :P

n this corolla u test drove mate where did u go to look at it?

The old CTS aint no Motorway cruiser, anybody tested lift in 6th :lol: ;)

I did Chester to Surrey a few months ago, averaged 37.6 mpg. I shared driving with my friend and after sitting in my passenger seat, I swear it sounds louder than in the driving position - weird!

Noticed on the way back that I hit 300 miles with about 1/4 of the tank left, but it seems that after you get below half a tank your petrol drops like mad. Must be something to do with the way it measures it. Reckon I had about 35 - 50 mile left in it. But i'm constantly stuck at 32 mpg with a mix of short motorway blasts and urban driving + lift where speed limits allow :)

But yea, 4k rpm at 80mph in 6th and think it was about 6k at 120mph (on the track of course).

i have been told 7400 rpm bout 140mph with a bit left in it is a sure thing in a strong engined t sport but i could nt prove this

i have been told 7400 rpm bout 140mph with a bit left in it is a sure thing in a strong engined t sport but i could nt prove this

i achieved 147mph, not on public roads, no way!

also i have tried lift in sixth, not much of a pull but noticable ;)

If your worried about economy, DONT buy a CTS, simple really, there are more economical cars of course ......

If your worried about economy, DONT buy a CTS, simple really, there are more economical cars of course ......

True, but for the performance they offer they are very good. ;)

agreed, at the end of the day you cant have performance and economy together, its one or the other, and tbh i really dont think the cts's are that bad on fuel, untill you get past half a tank lol

agreed, at the end of the day you cant have performance and economy together, its one or the other, and tbh i really dont think the cts's are that bad on fuel, untill you get past half a tank lol

No complaints about mine at all ..... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

i think that these cars are quite good on fuel, i average around 31 and i use lift when ever i need, all the power is high revs so i dont think its to bad,

bit of a bump for my for sale item but if anyone knows of some one wanting a t sport have a look in For Sale section, im going for a impreza next,

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links