Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Not Having A Great Weekend So Far

Zooks

Anyone else having problems with the carbon quartz paint flaking?. Mine has started to craze beneath the laquer in a couple of places on the bonnet.

This is on the side of the bonnet

paintflake.jpg

Took it to Toyota and awaiting their authorisation to repair under warantee so no probs there. Im without the car for a while but at least it will be sorted i hope so great

Then this morning this happened

damage.jpg

when a chap reversed out of his parking space and into me. we were stationary but had no time to anything but honk the horn.

Norwich union are insisting I have to use their repairers so its bumper repairs to them, bonnet to toyota and hope all the paint matches at the end of it.

At least the mileage will be kept down will i dont have a car. Lifes never simple is it

I can't help but feel that it must be easier/cheaper for you to use one repairer for both jobs, did the guy who reversed in to you not stop, because he couldn't have done that much damage + been unaware, If he did stop or you have his details then your claim is against his insurance + its up to you who you want to repair it, just take it to the most expensive garage you know get a quote, take that quote to your Mr T + ask them to beat that quote + get it all done in one go..Hope your luck improves by the way.. :thumbsup:

I can't help but feel that it must be easier/cheaper for you to use one repairer for both jobs, did the guy who reversed in to you not stop, because he couldn't have done that much damage + been unaware, If he did stop or you have his details then your claim is against his insurance + its up to you who you want to repair it, just take it to the most expensive garage you know get a quote, take that quote to your Mr T + ask them to beat that quote + get it all done in one go..Hope your luck improves by the way.. :thumbsup:

The guy knew he had hit us and was very apologetic. I saw he was reversing out so stopped to let him but then he just carried on all the way into the rav :(

I would much prefer toyota to do the repair but Norwich Union insist it has to be done by their repairers. If anyone has managed to use toyota directly please let me know asap as their comming to get the rav on tuesday.

They use a company called Nationwide Crash Repair Centres and a quick google has found loads of very unhappy customers. Although most complaints are for time taken rather than the standard of the work.

The guy knew he had hit us and was very apologetic. I saw he was reversing out so stopped to let him but then he just carried on all the way into the rav :(

I would much prefer toyota to do the repair but Norwich Union insist it has to be done by their repairers. If anyone has managed to use toyota directly please let me know asap as their comming to get the rav on tuesday.

They use a company called Nationwide Crash Repair Centres and a quick google has found loads of very unhappy customers. Although most complaints are for time taken rather than the standard of the work.

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that an insurance company could not insist that you use one of their 'approved repairers' if you did not wish to. May be worth seeking some independent advice.

Hope all works out for you

Personally, if you are going to be car-less, I would use someone like this. -

http://www.helphire.co.uk/

As long as it was not your fault, they give you a courtesy car while yours is off the road, and charge the other persons

insurance co a hiked up hire fee. I'm sure they use local repair shops but aint sure. If I remember it costs about a tenner

to join, but theres no contact with your insurance co. and no increased premiums as a result. Good luck. :thumbsup:

You are so right about not having a great weekend :(

Hope it all get's sorted soon :thumbsup:

I believe that bonnet has been painted before. It may have been at the import centre if you had the car from new.

I believe that bonnet has been painted before. It may have been at the import centre if you had the car from new.

Interesting, we bought the car used but 1st owner was the toyota bristol import centre. I have 2 patches like that but thats the most noticable.

As its not our fault we apparently have a courtesy car comming from NU now. Do you think they will replace the bumper or can they be reshaped?.

Bumpers can be mended but I think they will replace that. I would certainly urge them to do so. I think Kingo said they come self coloured now so if that is the case and you want to preseve your NCB you could buy it and fit it yourself which is quite straight forward.

I used to do a lot of field trial work with a company called Silcock Express who were the transporters of all the cars from import to dealers (but they have changed their name now). At that time (probably 2000/1) the percentage of cars that were damaged in one way or another after leaving the ship was very high. Silcock Express had their own bodyshop where they conducted repairs and although each repair was logged so the manufacturer knew it had been done before delivery, it was a bit of a cobble shop and some that I looked at stood out like a sore thumb. Some cars were butchered and very badly damaged so they got extensive repairs.

When I collected mine I went through it with a fine toothed comb but I think most people collect them in trust not even considering what might have happened. They will put it right for you and the Toyota body shops are usually quite good so it should be better than new.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my rav back yesterday. They did a good job and I'm pleased with it but some of the work seems unnecessary.

New front bumper - needed and glad they didn't mend the old one.

Paint bumper - didn't someone say these were colour coded?

Repaint both near side and off side front wings. - there was no damage at all to the offside wing and clearly the nearside was well away?.

With removing and refitting all the bits ie wing badges, mudflaps, indicators, lights etc it was 10hrs labour.

Maybe a paint match thing?, glad I wasn't paying!.

As a side issue the Nissan xtrail (old shape) i had as a hire car was nowhere near as nice to drive as the rav4. Way to noisy, thirsty and agricultural.

Good to think i actually considered buying one once but went for the rav.

Got my rav back yesterday. They did a good job and I'm pleased with it but some of the work seems unnecessary.

Repaint both near side and off side front wings. - there was no damage at all to the offside wing and clearly the nearside was well away?.

With removing and refitting all the bits ie wing badges, mudflaps, indicators, lights etc it was 10hrs labour.

As a side issue the Nissan xtrail (old shape) i had as a hire car was nowhere near as nice to drive as the rav4. Way to noisy, thirsty and agricultural.

Blending the wings into the newly painted new bumper is normal, as they will be a slightly colour different due to aging and exposure. Sounds like the bodyshop did a proper job instead of just doing the bumper which would make the car look a dodgy to the trained eye.

Glad to hear all fixed. Wing painting almost certainly a paint match thing. I had a dent in front passenger door repaired and it also involved painting the front wing and rear door. When I queried the extra work the body shop manger confirmed it was to blend in the new with the original. Also necessitated new Badge and chrome trim too.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links