Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Towing : Use Of Spring Assisters

The Mortman

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and the Rav and towing in general. Opted for the 04 Rav D2D XT3 based on primarily Toyota build quality. I tow a Bailey Pageant Loire (2002) which just falls into the 85% bracket, I have a genuine Toyota towbar with removal ball. I have only dragged the shed the once but noticed the very same issue discussed many times on here and thats the nose down towing, this makes ground clearance on the caravan an issue. Now I am not ruling out having too much weight on the towball but we had several instances of the rear being 'bounced' by the weight of the van when towing (hope that make sense, its like someone bouncing up and down on the rear of the car). I noticed in another post the mention of the Spring Assisters to maintain ride height and wondered if anyone had any experience of using them and under what circumstances they'd be recommended?

Thanks

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and the Rav and towing in general. Opted for the 04 Rav D2D XT3 based on primarily Toyota build quality. I tow a Bailey Pageant Loire (2002) which just falls into the 85% bracket, I have a genuine Toyota towbar with removal ball. I have only dragged the shed the once but noticed the very same issue discussed many times on here and thats the nose down towing, this makes ground clearance on the caravan an issue. Now I am not ruling out having too much weight on the towball but we had several instances of the rear being 'bounced' by the weight of the van when towing (hope that make sense, its like someone bouncing up and down on the rear of the car). I noticed in another post the mention of the Spring Assisters to maintain ride height and wondered if anyone had any experience of using them and under what circumstances they'd be recommended?

Thanks

We use them to help stop bottoming out - it has made the ride a little harsher on ours but used without stiffer shocks, then you won't notice too much, and it will help keep the ride level, either with a caravan or with a good load up back.

Thanks

Have you actually checked the nose weight when your van is loaded - I towed vans for many years with all sorts of cars and bought a spring balance (just a brass tube with a calibrated spring in it, basically) but it gave an accurate weight - last caravan had a built in weight device. It is very difficult to assess the weight by holding up the towing hitch.

A very heavy nose weight can 'bounce' your rear of the RAV up especially when it nearly bottoms the suspension and it tries to get back to a more normal level

Hope it helps and you have years of good caravanning

Guy

Not had a problem with my 4.3 you do need to get the nose weight right as per Guy's post above, mine is not nose down it is as horizontal as it gets. The Rav tows my Bailey Pageant Moselle (2000) without a problem. You have not put a lot of weight in the rear of the van have you? this can cause a pendulum effect.

Not had a problem with my 4.3 you do need to get the nose weight right as per Guy's post above, mine is not nose down it is as horizontal as it gets. The Rav tows my Bailey Pageant Moselle (2000) without a problem. You have not put a lot of weight in the rear of the van have you? this can cause a pendulum effect.

Bailey vans tend to be quite heavy at the nose end; I have a Provence S7 and it is quite a struggle getting the balance correct

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links