Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 Rattle

tony1968

hi there just recently bought a 57 plate rav xt5 quite high mileage (38k) only complaint i have is there is quite an annoying rattle / vibration on the passenger side door , noise seems to be comeing from the small speaker but i dont think its the speaker itself causeing it, can anyone tell me if its a commom fault or any ideas what it could be and how to fix it? or is it a case of takeing it to a dealer ? any help would be appreciated as im getting ear ache off the mrs. :crybaby:

hi there just recently bought a 57 plate rav xt5 quite high mileage (38k) only complaint i have is there is quite an annoying rattle / vibration on the passenger side door , noise seems to be coming from the small speaker but i don't think its the speaker itself causeing it, can anyone tell me if its a common fault or any ideas what it could be and how to fix it? or is it a case of taking it to a dealer ? any help would be appreciated as im getting ear ache off the mrs. :crybaby:

Welcome to the club Tony :)

If it is the small speaker on the door (I think they are called tweeters :wacko: ) then you'll need to see your dealer to fix it.

There was a modification to the small plastic covers on the underside of the wing mirrors which is available under warranty (not sure if your car would already have this modification). The modification stopped wind noise which sounded like a rattle from the front door windows!

If the rattle happens without the radio on then it could be the wing mirrors :)

It is actually just beyond the tweeter - have a look at this;

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71928

You can do the above as an interim (blutac or chewing gum will cure it!) but there is a mod that the dealer can do FOC;

Mirror_Covers_4.3.pdf

I have an 07 reg and had the mirror rattle too - quite irritating at speeds over about 50mph or thereabouts. Dealer fixed it under warranty by replacing the plastic covers.

Another rattle I have comes from the lid of the top glovebox, and I keep a bit of leather (actually, the finger of a kid glove!) between the lid and the dash to stop them clattering together. Not the most sophisticated of solutions but it works. Until it gets cold and I want to wear my glove, of course.

My husband has more trim and dash rattles on his new Mercedes than I do on my RAV - three cheers for Toyota!

hi there just recently bought a 57 plate rav xt5 quite high mileage (38k) only complaint i have is there is quite an annoying rattle / vibration on the passenger side door , noise seems to be comeing from the small speaker but i dont think its the speaker itself causeing it, can anyone tell me if its a commom fault or any ideas what it could be and how to fix it? or is it a case of takeing it to a dealer ? any help would be appreciated as im getting ear ache off the mrs. :crybaby:

Thank you all very much will try the sillicone trick tonight when mrs gets in from work , will let yous know if this solves problem , thanks again tony. :D

I have an 07 reg and had the mirror rattle too - quite irritating at speeds over about 50mph or thereabouts. Dealer fixed it under warranty by replacing the plastic covers.

Another rattle I have comes from the lid of the top glovebox, and I keep a bit of leather (actually, the finger of a kid glove!) between the lid and the dash to stop them clattering together. Not the most sophisticated of solutions but it works. Until it gets cold and I want to wear my glove, of course.

My husband has more trim and dash rattles on his new Mercedes than I do on my RAV - three cheers for Toyota!

Mine sometimes rattles from that little collar on the gearstick for reverse and some times from the front of that switch panel in the drivers door. If I am very cursed they both do it together and I have to drive with left index finger on the collar and right index figer on the switches which means I have to steer with my knees and signal to people that I am about to turn by nodding in the appropriate direction. They don't seem to mind me nodding but sometimes get offended by my tongue hanging out which of course is a necessary thing. :P

Just got a text off the mrs , she got to work with no ratlles, thank you again ,the sillicone works spot on. She did have a winge about her seat squeaking when she went round to the left , no doubt that is just her been fussy now and its probably the leather squeaking, as you can probably tell she never wanted to get rid of the old car , but this one should save us nearly £100 a month so she best get over loseing her beloved lexus.

Just got a text off the mrs , she got to work with no ratlles, thank you again ,the sillicone works spot on. She did have a winge about her seat squeaking when she went round to the left , no doubt that is just her been fussy now and its probably the leather squeaking, as you can probably tell she never wanted to get rid of the old car , but this one should save us nearly £100 a month so she best get over loseing her beloved lexus.

Aha!

Thats another one. Yes the seat squab is known to creak but if you tell her it is more prone with a heavier person sitting in the driver seat she will never mention it again.

Mine does it all the time!!!

weight was already mentioned this morning ,so i challenged her to get down to my weight , cant tell you what the reply was but it wasnt lady like :censor: .

Is there anyway we can do a survey on here to find out what weight you can be without the squeak? im willing to start it im 12 stone and no squeak but im afraid il never find out what the mrs weighs, but if we find out the heaviest she can be it might give her an incentive.Sorry if this is sounding more like weight watchers.

I'm about 13.5 stone and my seat creaks under the strain so working on this priciple we need owners between 12 stone and 13.5 stone to comment ;)

Where is that critical weight???

I'm about 13.5 stone and my seat creaks under the strain so working on this principle we need owners between 12 stone and 13.5 stone to comment ;)

I weigh more than both of you but my seat doesn't creak!! :P

Could it be down to the size of your bum.... :g:

I'm about 13.5 stone and my seat creaks under the strain so working on this principle we need owners between 12 stone and 13.5 stone to comment ;)

oh bum , you do have leather electric seats dont you? if so what year is your rav, mines 57 plate, maybe solved problem on newer ones.

oh bum , you do have leather electric seats dont you? if so what year is your rav, mines 57 plate, maybe solved problem on newer ones.

The T180 has the same seats as the XT5 and mine is a 2007 56 plate so is obviously older!

The T180 has the same seats as the XT5 and mine is a 2007 56 plate so is obviously older!

oh well, looks like shes gonna have to put up with it , on the good side il probably have to drive it more :)

If you treat it with some autoglym leather care it might stop it for a while.

• 1 month later...

Fixed it at last :) ,had to let the mrs drive the other day as id had a drink , whilst in passenger seat worked out that the creak was actually comeing from the bottom of the seat belt houseing ,a couple of inchs above the nut the hard wire touches a hard plastic bit of the seat and when she was going round right corners or even going over some bumps it was creakink,as she was driveing i just pulled the two apart and the creak was gone, when we got home i put a bit of sponge between the two contacts and problem solved , one very happy mrs .Hopefully this might help others.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links