Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Does Avensis Need The Timing Chain Replaced As A Routine?

spidey

I see there is a really nice conversation here. Good. I have tried to check my timming chain condition during the v-belt, tensioner and water pump changing but, when started i realized that there is no room to do anything, well, as i started at 6.30pm and finished at 10.30pm changing belt and roller only. I couldn find any valve or accessible hose to drain coolant system. I never done it in toyota before, i wasnt in hurry but it is neccesary to remove engine mount and power steering pump with its supporting mount as well to have proper access and screws to it are in really tight places.. only thing i want to say is: belt was in poor condition but roller "made in germany" was quiet and smooth, i though tensioner is in good condition as well, hard to depress it. Anyway i am not use to do temporary fixings like this: water pump and belt tensioner should be replaced as well, signs of wear and tear of an old v-belt almost completly disappeard, almost because when starting driving, no matter front or rear, on maximum right or left direction wheels turned so when the engine load is as high as possible, i can hear slightly characteristic short noise which means the only thing: belt tensioner. Before changing it was normal that noise comming during starting softly forward or backward. This issue is gone but over the time it will come back quickly if old tensioner is still there.

I havent looked at the timming chain yet and yes it is neccesary to remove valve cover off. I will do in in next two weeks probably.

• 7 months later...
On 5/12/2023 at 12:34 AM, avensis_2018 said:

Dont touch the timing, you dont neet to, in all toyota cars. 

This avebsis is the best reliable car.

Ha ha must just be my avensis then..2016.. Turbo, crank pulley, belt tensioner and Battery all went within 6 months at a cost of nearly £2500 and at only 65000 miles.. There again it does have the crappy BMW engine and gearbox fitted unbeknown when purchasing the damn thing 

• Sad 2

On 12/30/2023 at 2:31 PM, K wheeldon said:

Ha ha must just be my avensis then..2016.. Turbo, crank pulley, belt tensioner and battery all went within 6 months at a cost of nearly £2500 and at only 65000 miles.. There again it does have the crappy BMW engine and gearbox fitted unbeknown when purchasing the damn thing 

i got mine with 61k miles on it.  had a flat tyre after 100miles and broken lock nut. few hundred miles later my fuel pump went. i got this car cus they're meant to be reliable then i find out about the BMW engine and i need reassurance lol

Then it tells all, 61k mills of braking this car what you expect to get, its very hard to find a good used car to buy from an old guy 1hand low mills even if its toyota ! 

Because its avensis, people drive it like ****, and tend not to put 1$ on this car, after 4 or 5 years they sell it, and the one that buy it, got all the lemon.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links