Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Insurance Prices Set To Rise

Fidgits

Would you consider driving without insurance?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Would you consider driving without insurance?

• No, never
    • Very doubtful, but i'd consider it
    • I might if prices became silly
    • I'd consider taking the risk if i couldnt afford it
    • At this rate i might have to
    • I already am driving without insurance

Well, you have to hand it to the insurance companies...

Due to a massive increase in un-insured drivers, (statistics state 1 in 6 drivers now does not have insurance) the insurance companies have said that they will have to increase premiums to cover accidents which have included uninsured drivers.

The typical rise will be around 60 quid per year.

Now, am I the only person that cannot see the logic here...

There are more people driving without insurance, so you put prices up...!?!

surely this will force people (who can no longer afford it) to drive without insurance, or encorage those considering taking the risk...

IMHO, perhaps if they reduced the costs of the policy, then there would be less uninsured drivers... and perhaps, at the same time, increased the penalties?

I thought we'd have a poll to see if people would consider driving without insurance...

The problem with insurance is that at face value it's cheaper not to bother. Considering insurance on a decent car can easily reach the £1000's to risk getting caught and only having to pay a couple of hundred pounds in a fine soon becomes attractive. It's only when you have an accident that things go a bit pear shaped.

Driving without insurance should automatically carry at least a 12 month prison sentence along with an excessive driving ban. The next time they are caught they should then proceed to have body parts removed until they were physically incapable of driving a vehicle. :angry:

There is absolutely no excuse!! if you can't afford the insurance get a cheaper car or take the bus. :ffs:

i would consider it cuz its the only reason i drive a 1.0l yaris rather than a YTS, its a joke insured drivers pay enough ne way with speedcameras, i think poilce shud change gatsos to tax and insurance cameras and then people would be safe on the road, being legal is more important than breaking th speed limit i think, this country is going down the pan!!!!!!!!!!! :ffs:

*rant over*

Some sort of windscreen or numberplate proof-of-insurance may help. That way traffic wardens & coppers could immediately see if a car is insured or not. Need to find a better way than the French though - we have a green card in the windscreen, but it's too easy to forge.

Something along the lines of the new Tax disc would be good. The gold writing makes forgery harder, maybe use a hologram too? If you use insurance disks in conjunction with a database joining information regarding insured vehicles and the DVLA database of registered vehicles, you should be able to find out which cars are not insured. It would only fall down with travellers i.e. no fixed address - when you sell a car you would have to ensure that the new owner fills in the logbook and sends it off.... like everything - open to a degree of corruption, but the courts are there to deal with extreme cases of fraud etc.

well I've been doing my insurance run this month .. over 50 phonecalls and I've found about 7 who will insure me .. from £1000 to £2500 ..

and stoopid things from £900 excess to trackers ..

Over a grand !!!

:ffs:

At this rate I'll not be insured next year .. as i'll not find anyone who will do it ..

The idea of having an insurance disc in the windscreen may work in theory but it would be easy to go for monthly payments, receive the disc even use it to obtain a tax disc if they dont mind paying for that ! then cancel the insurance and keep the disc on the car for the next 11 months having only paid for month one.

We already pay over the odds for insurance, and petrol.

The laws should be tightened over drivers without insurance to get this shambles back into order.

The pillocks that have a little bump at 5mph then all go to hospital for neck braces to claim whiplash aren't helping themselves, but they're too thick to see it. They each claim £1000+ when they're not hurt, where do they think this 'free money' comes from? Something needs to be done about this.

It was a regular thing at sixth form for me, things like this coupled with drivers who don't have insurance is just..... ridiculous to be honest, the way to fix it is not to start charging more (again).

if this carries on where will the prices be in 10, even 5 years?

I agree, putting up the prices is not the right way to do it. Why punish those who are paying for their insurance? A much better way would be tougher fines for uninsured drivers. The money raised from the fines could go into a general insurance pot, not into the police's pockets!! The only problem with this idea is that those unisured probably have no money in the first place. It is a very difficult problem to solve, but maybe insurance companies should be looking to reduce the occurance by implimenting one or more of the methods we've been taking about.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links