Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

So Tell Me All About The 1.0 Yaris.

Uncle Bob

Hye im 18, passed my test in January and took it in my yaris as i hated the diesel 206 i was using and it really is the best first car out there (if you can afford it).

All my friends have fiats or clios and the amount of times theyve had to go to the garage is unbelieveable. Mines on a y reg and still hasnt had any problems.

Easy car to drive, everytime my boyfriend drives it all he says is that its the easiest car ever to drive.

As for bumps and dents, i wouldnt say that its a "yaris thing", actually as the back of hte car is flat you know that youve always got that little extra space when reversing etc.

Mines the phase 1 and still great but my mums is the facelift on an 05 plate and tbh, apart from being colour coded and having a different digital display and few extra luxuries, theres not much difference between the cars.

Anyway waffling on but hope ive helped :)

Many thanks yariskas :)

I'm starting to think about the "Egg or the Chicken" dilemma, the plan is to buy a car after she passes but there is allot to be said about having a car that is familiar to a new driver, IF ..she has a Yaris now she would get use to driving it as a learner , then continue to use it as her car ones she's passed ....so much for me to think about :rolleyes: .

I was disappointed to see insurance companies bump the price up as new drive once they past their tes :angry:t , as they are seen as more of a risk out on their own as apposed to being supervised, and looking at the quote for fully comp it a good £1300-1500 quid :rolleyes::rolleyes:

and looking at the quote for fully comp it a good £1300-1500 quid :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You'll get less than that considering thats roughly where I am, and girls should be MUCH cheaper! Try companies not on comparison websites like Direct Line Online (thats who im with ;)), they were £600 cheaper than any other fully comp offer I could find, and thats WITH all the endless shopping around! :L

Maybe try sticking another more experienced driver on the insurance policy too as a secondary driver, that took my quote down by about £100 - mum with 20 years of no claims and no points comes in handy, but she isn't getting anywhere near my car! :lol:

Well my dads the policy holder on my car and im a named driver and im sure my ad saisd it didnt go up at all, or if it did it was by very little, from me being porvisional holder to full license holder.

We tried the price comparison sites too. we were going to go with direct line at first but found it with admiral for half the price.

www. confused .com

www. comparethemarket .com

Just thought tbhough, i dont even know if im fully comp or whatever to be honest. i doubt it.

And adam, You are spot on about the t-sport haha ;)

Which of the Yaris models are built by the French or Japanese ?

1999 = Japanese

Everything else inc 2nd Gen = French

Thats as far as I know anyways....correct me if I be wrong! :P

well my 03 facelift 1.0 is made in france if this helps you ;)

Well my dads the policy holder on my car and im a named driver and im sure my ad saisd it didnt go up at all, or if it did it was by very little, from me being porvisional holder to full license holder.

We tried the price comparison sites too. we were going to go with direct line at first but found it with admiral for half the price.

www. confused .com

www. comparethemarket .com

Just thought tbhough, i dont even know if im fully comp or whatever to be honest. i doubt it.

And adam, You are spot on about the t-sport haha ;)

Oooh, be careful about that - A friend of my brother's was a named driver on her mum's insurance for a long time; They did that for much the same reasons (Much cheaper!) but when she moved out she discovered that she hadn't been aquiring no-claims, and got hit with the full fee!! :(

Insurance depends a lot on where you live, but as a new driver the absolute best thing you can do is use on-line comparison sites, then take the top 5 (Or 10 if you have lots of time!) and ring them up to try and cut a better deal/play them off against each other.

I found it wasn't until I had 3 years under my belt that getting insurance on-line was cheaper than ringing up.

That said, my brother managed to get fully comp on a 2 litre Corolla D4D for £1097 (!!!), and he's only just passed his test!!! :eek:

But then he lives in Woking, which is the most boring place in existance according tom him :lol:

I think we tried it with my the address and it was somthing like £1800! :eek:

• 2 months later...

Well here we are many months later and £500 worth of driving lessing later ! she's past her theory test but is having trouble with manual gearboxes , so we've suggest she switch to an Auto, new driving instructor said she is do excellent and should put in for her test but the quickest that can be done is mid October.

The driving instructor said she should have a lesson a week until then......more money :rolleyes: .

Now I'm sure the debate over Manual V Auto's will run forever but if she finds an Auto easy to use then so be it, Automatic or semi -Auto's seem a more common choice these days , so finding a car should not be a problem but as I'm still keen to get a Yaris, my choice is not so great.

General opinion is to keep away from the early 1.0 semi-auto due to jerky gear selection, so bang goes cheep insurance, next step is a 1.3 full automatic in a 2004 spec, either T3 or Spirit, that takes us into group 3/4 insurance, using the comparison site i feel full comp is out of the question at around the £2600 price bracket ,that leaves TPF&T at around £1500, i resent paying the full comp Price as I'd rather add the extra grand into buying the car.

I'm rather taken aback by how the 1.3 Yaris Auto keeps its price, 5K or more seems an average price for a lower mileage models, i want the teardrop headlamp model which i believe is 2003 onwards, i have seen one or two new shape vehicles but they have both been Cat D repaired vehicles and I'm not sure if insurance companies are happy to insure write off cars.

Fingers crossed we will be looking for a Yaris in mid to late October, i have no idea if by then it will be a buyers or sellers market, i guess with the 59 reg in September there could be a little more choice used car choice ....time will tell :)

Hi Bob,

The 1.3 auto is highly rated. Have a look at this review from Honest John which has, as he descibes, "a good, robust 4-speed autobox". It's a conventional auto with a torque converter and has drain-plug to facilitate periodic chages (to be encouraged). This type of gearbox is becoming less and less common on smaller vehicles, with most manufacturers moving over to the multi-mode type system, which seem to be a bit of an acquired taste. Good luck with your car selection in anycase. ;)

• 1 month later...

Well I'm rather proud to say my daughter Luci passed her driving test the other day and first time too :) ....only cost £850 :rolleyes: :) , as promised I'll start looking for a Yaris, we've decided the spec will be 1.3 Automatic, although a 2004 car seems a bit out of our reach now , so maybe a 2001-2003 GLS or CDX as i feel air/con is worth having.

Still love that Gold colour but at the end of the day any colour will do ,although I'm not keen on dark green, seems car hunting is down to the big boys of eBay or Auto Trader, the likes of Loot and Exchange & Mart have fallen by the wayside over the last few years.

She started looking at the Aygo but i said its to much to buy, although insurance and tax is cheaper ! :rolleyes:

Blimey, I didn't even know there was a 'real' torque converter auto version of the Yaris! :lol:

Congrats btw! :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links