Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Needed With Speakers

qld surf

Hi i have just bought a surf but the Speakers that were in it were stuffed i bought new Speakers and noticed the wiring was all wrong the front and back and left and right were all wrong ( e.g if i put it so just the back Speakers should work the back right and front left work and if it have so the front speaker should only be working the back left and front right speakers work) i can deal with that. But what is annoying me is the back left speaker when turned up louder bottoms out and crackles while the back right speaker can be cranked right up and works fine??? i thought it may have been the speaker so i swaped them over but still the same i even tried the speakers outof my commodore with the same result what can i do with out taking the dash apart to get to the stereo?

Each rear speaker has it's own amp thats tucked behind the side panel storage compartments, maybe one of them is faulty or blown.

If you're fitting your own Speakers anyway, then just run new cables to them from the head unit.

ok another stupid question why is there 4 wires where each speaker goes? sorry for the stupid questions. ive been trying to get to the head unit but cant without pulling half the dash off

ok another stupid question why is there 4 wires where each speaker goes? sorry for the stupid questions. ive been trying to get to the head unit but cant without pulling half the dash off

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The reason you have 4 wires to each rear speaker is that they are known as 'active' Speakers, 2 wires as per the norm for the audio and 2 more that carry a power source to the 'active' amp on each speaker.

You will be unable to remove the head unit without first removing the lower dash on both sides. Only a 10mm bolt by the doors and some cross head screws both sides, Oh,and the glove box will have to come out too.

Only then can you remove the plastic surround so you can get to the 4 bolts that hold the head unit in.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Paul

thanks for the welcome Demondodger,

yep i did all that and found a mess of wires i was expecting coloured wires but they were all clear and tangled. So i backed off before i made it worse

thanks for the welcome Demondodger,

yep i did all that and found a mess of wires i was expecting coloured wires but they were all clear and tangled. So i backed off before i made it worse

In that case,best thing you can do is to run all new wiring and new Speakers, 4"(10cm) will fit exactly where the originals are.

I had to replace all mine 5 years ago and not had a problem since, I even fitted a 10 disc changer to the rear roof lining so it's out of eyesight to wanna be theives

Cheers

Paul

Each rear speaker has it's own amp thats tucked behind the side panel storage compartments, maybe one of them is faulty or blown.

If you're fitting your own speakers anyway, then just run new cables to them from the head unit.

i had agood look today and theres no amps they must have been taken out by the previous owner as the rear Speakers weren't factory Speakers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links