Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Judder

joojoo

Hi Everyone

I collected my 2003 (03 plate) 1.8 VVi-T3 Avensis on Monday and have had a few days driving around town in it. Had noticed what I thought was a very slight judder when braking, but today I've been out for a decent run in it and it's been a nightmare. Example: driving along a bypass at 60mph, approaching roundabout so started to brake and just constant juddering all the way to being completely stationery. :unsure: I am going to ring the toyota dealer where it came from BUT it would be useful just to have a bit of background information before I do. Does anyone know if this is something that the Avensis is prone to or whether it is likely to be a large problem to sort out? I'm always wary of garages but if it looks like i have some idea of what I'm talking about it usually helps.

It's only just done 40,000 miles so I'm a bit concerned as to what's causing it if it's not a known problem.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks

Jue

I have an Avensis T3S 2003 model.

I have been having the same issue for the last 2 years since I bought it from CAR GIANT.

In my case I get the juddering when moving from standstill position i.e. into 1st gear and sometimes 2nd gear but it goes away once the car pick up acceleration.

TOYOTA were unable to find any fault

Do post a solution on here if you find one

Hi there,

we had a similar problem when braking with our verso. It turned out to be warped discs. it just gets worse over time if left. hope this helps

Abbi

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem for quite a while with an my old Carina. It turned out to be a crack in the brake shoe. Mechanic could have had it reconditioned or replaced. Opted for replacement as recon would take over a week.

• 2 weeks later...
I have an Avensis T3S 2003 model.

I have been having the same issue for the last 2 years since I bought it from CAR GIANT.

In my case I get the juddering when moving from standstill position i.e. into 1st gear and sometimes 2nd gear but it goes away once the car pick up acceleration.

TOYOTA were unable to find any fault

Do post a solution on here if you find one

Err. Yours sounds to be a clutch problem, more than a brake problem.

Have a look at your discs, can you see a disc pad shaped mark on the disc? (or even a few) If so, the pads have sweated into the surface of the disc causing a patch of disc that has a different coefficient of friction to the rest of the (unmarked) disc, this unevenness causes a judder and will vary with the 'timing' of these patches from left brake to right brake. It will show up by travelling at a low speed and gently applying the brake and holding the pedal constant, you will feel the brakes varying slightly as it slows down, a sort of brakes on/off effect.

If you have a local friendly garage with brake test rollers, pop it on the rollers and gently apply the brake with both rollers running, the brake reading will fluctuate up and down.

Discs very seldomly actually warp it just feels like they have, it's more likely to be sweat marks.

This is from a previous post about judder on brakes, could be a similar issue.

Les

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links