Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatic Car Washes

Bob Brown

I'm sure we all know the MR2 book states that you should not take the MR2 soft-top through an automatic car wash. Does this apply to when I have my hardtop on too?

I can never seem to get it as clean as I want it though! I am thoroughly ashamed of my washing skills when I come back and look at what I missed later.

I can never seem to get it as clean as I want it though! I am thoroughly ashamed of my washing skills when I come back and look at what I missed later.

As has already been said, avoid the auto car washes at all costs.... your paint work will have a lasting memory of the experience.

Use a low residue car shampoo (I use one called Clear View I think) in a good old warm bucket of water along with one of those hand mitt type washing cloths. I got one out of halfrauds for about £6 that is excellent. It is 'microfibre' so it just soaks away the dirt as you use it.... you can clean the car really quickly and easily, and use less water i've found. This mitt has completely revolutionised car washing for me! You can just pop it into the washing machine after every few washes. I then rinse off the car and use a chamois to dry... however, I use a neat wax product that you spray on as you dry and this gives it a glossy finish once it dries in. Think it's called Wax it Wet, or something similar. It's in a blue spray bottle. Can't remember how much it is but i've found it to be excellent.

Finally, it you feel the urge to polish it without the hassle then splash out on that 'ice' stuff that you can get - goes on clear and you can use it on plastics. rubber etc (i've even given the roof a going over with it too!). It goes on really quickly and is dead easy to buff off. Great for the window seals and the plastics beneath the windscreen (the bits that normally end up white when you use a normal polish!)

That's all my tips! Happy washing :D

I had one rip off my rear wiper (Complete with the arm!) at a BP Garage in Central Scotland. They agreed to pay the repair costs but were shocked when I gave them the bill for a new Toyota wiper arm & blade. They thought I was joking until another member of staff who had a Toyota informed them of the cost of spares!

I was continplating going through one today, but thought otherwise.

:lol:

45milesonlocalroads8-6-0912.jpg

Genuine pic of my bike, taken yesterday.

:lol:

Haha, fantastic. I gave up on the idea of the car wash when I thought of the window seals on the car and how the book describes washing - which would still apply with hard top.

Bought one of those mits, the wooly kind .. Should have probably gotten the pad kind, but its come up nicely after I dried it with some chamois. I think its the smearing that always makes it look bad. There's also some annoying bug residue baked on, but I'll try and get her washed more regularly from now on.

Haha, fantastic. I gave up on the idea of the car wash when I thought of the window seals on the car and how the book describes washing - which would still apply with hard top.

Bought one of those mits, the wooly kind .. Should have probably gotten the pad kind, but its come up nicely after I dried it with some chamois. I think its the smearing that always makes it look bad. There's also some annoying bug residue baked on, but I'll try and get her washed more regularly from now on.

Mine is black so the smallest of post-washing marks shows up like a sore thumb. Still, it's great when it's nice and shiny. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Mate just take your time when washing your pride and joy, and it does pay to fork out for the right products. I use a jet wash first to rid the car of the top layer of grime, don't get too close as it can damage the paint and also penetrate any seals like on lights etc. Make sure you use the right products (NOT WASHING UP LIQUD lol) I personally use AUTOGLYM and have never had any complaints. Their shampoo/conditioner is mint :D Once done i reccomend using a shamy to clear the excess water off the car, maybe a squeegee first to get rid of big pools of water. Wax is also a must, I know t long and boring but the shine lasts longer and the car is easier to wash next time, watch out that you dont get build up's of wax in the gaps as they are hard to get rid of. Also if you have your softtop out, use a good cleaner/conditioner. I use AUTOGLYM vinyl and rubber care, this not only works wonders on your softtop but any plastics on your car (kinda like back to black, just better) All in all jus take you time and enjoy cleaning it methodically so you can sit back later and just watch your baby shine :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links