Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Reversing Camera (t180/xt5)

Darkside

Just a slight note of caution to anybody who intends doing this to their own vehicle and following the advice pinned to the maintenance section (of which I was one of the contributors).

Since adding the camera to my vehicle I have had two occurances of the same problem. Do not get me wrong, this is not a problem with the vehicle more with the design of the camera that I used. Put simply, the cameras are stated to be waterproof but the likelihood is they will fail when mounted externally. The first camera that I fitted let water/moisture in after about one month of fitting. I started to, obviously, get blurred image and then the camera failed completely. They are sealed units and it is therefore not a case of opening up and drying them out etc.

The company from whom I purchased were very good at the time and replaced it -- slightly annoying having to rip the back door to pieces again and refit but worth it to get the camera going again.

I have been basking in the glory of this working for the last year plus, but a week ago I noticed that the camera had managed to get moisture inside once again and therefore the integrity of its structure has clearly decided to give in!

I do not think that I can offer any particular solution. I do not put the car through a car auction nor do use a pressure washer. I have decided this time to try one of the spyhole/flush type cameras which is on order. I figured that if the main body of the camera is not mounted externally then I stand more chance with avoiding watering ingress and I believe most factory fitted cameras are of that type. I am of course going to have to have a very steady hand in drilling the main hole to install! which is why I did not buy one of these in the first place.

I would be interested if anybody has used the flush mount type cameras and whether they have remained dry!

Just a slight note of caution to anybody who intends doing this to their own vehicle and following the advice pinned to the maintenance section (of which I was one of the contributors).

Since adding the camera to my vehicle I have had two occurances of the same problem. Do not get me wrong, this is not a problem with the vehicle more with the design of the camera that I used. Put simply, the cameras are stated to be waterproof but the likelihood is they will fail when mounted externally. The first camera that I fitted let water/moisture in after about one month of fitting. I started to, obviously, get blurred image and then the camera failed completely. They are sealed units and it is therefore not a case of opening up and drying them out etc.

The company from whom I purchased were very good at the time and replaced it -- slightly annoying having to rip the back door to pieces again and refit but worth it to get the camera going again.

I have been basking in the glory of this working for the last year plus, but a week ago I noticed that the camera had managed to get moisture inside once again and therefore the integrity of its structure has clearly decided to give in!

I do not think that I can offer any particular solution. I do not put the car through a car auction nor do use a pressure washer. I have decided this time to try one of the spyhole/flush type cameras which is on order. I figured that if the main body of the camera is not mounted externally then I stand more chance with avoiding watering ingress and I believe most factory fitted cameras are of that type. I am of course going to have to have a very steady hand in drilling the main hole to install! which is why I did not buy one of these in the first place.

I would be interested if anybody has used the flush mount type cameras and whether they have remained dry!

ps. Car 'wash' not car 'auction' ! - must speak more clearly when using speech reognotion software, or check the damned post first!!! :D

ps. Car 'wash' not car 'auction' ! - must speak more clearly when using speech reognotion software, or check the damned post first!!! :D

Hi, I fitted this type of camera about 8 months ago and meant to post pictures but couldn't work out how to.

I mounted it just below the Toyota symbol on the rear door, looks good,very discreet. But within a month the water had managed to get in.

I,too, only ever wash by hand.

So for a few days after washing I can't see, until a bit of warm, dry weather sorts it out.

Hi Darkside,

I also have condensation in my camera,which I noticed over the winter months, although I have a different camera and mounted below the bumper, the casing is alloy and very corroded, but still works reasonably well.

Last week while doing the weekly car wash I notice the protective glass on my camera was cracked, and means a replacement Camera as well, as I use the ntsc ccd camera this will work out rather expensive, but may buy cheaper one and change internal parts, and reposition it to the number plate.

Jim :( :( :(

Looks like no matter what we buy and fit, it's gonna fail at some point, and I got run flats to contend with, ah well the joys of motoring! :(

Ive not had any problems with my Costco one (touch wood) its mounted practically vertical in beside my

number plate lights (no spare back door so number plate same as T180).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links