Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Should I Buy An Avensis

Tafia

Avoid the 2.2 T180. Poor fuel consumption and there is a known fault with the DPNR that Toyota have hidden from buyers/owners!!

Go on then what is the known DPNR fault then???

AS for poor fuel consumption I wouls say that is down to the oil you stick in in and how where you drive it!

The DPNR is supposed to be a self cleaning system that utilises a fifth injector into the exhaust manifold and when certain conditions occur the injector is fired and this is supposed to burn/cleanse the diesel particulate trap. However certain vehicles up to a given VIN number were fitted with small bore vacuum pipes that exit the DPNR, these become 'clogged/sooted' up, this in turn stops this system working and the DPNR cannister itself becomes full and useless.

Toyota issued a 'strictly private and confidential' technical bulletin to all dealerships with a 'field fix' in July 2007!!! If your car is one fitted with earlier design then provided your car has a full service history and is still under the warranty then it will be replaced FOC!! If the warranty has expired it will cost you parts and labour the best part of £1700. (Bear in mind that this system is supposed to self cleaning, maintenance free with no mention of periodic cleaning or replacement during the lifespan of the vehicle)

The 'field fix'/ design change is to replace the DPNR and vacuum pipes with larger bore items.

BUT..................................... cars fitted from the factory with the latter design DPNR system also break down!!! So all you will be doing is replacing like for like parts that WILL FAIL AGAIN!!

The fault manufactures itself like this: The engine management light(MIL) will come on so will the VSC and TRC, the car will go into limp mode and when you plug a code reader into the OBD port you will get the code P2002 'Diesel particulate trap below threshold'

Now do as your owners manual states: Drive to your nearest Toyota dealership!!

Now a very large warning to all owners!!!

WHEN YOU RESTART THE CAR THE ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT WILL STILL BE ALIGHT AND SO WILL THE VSC AND TRC BUT THE CAR WILL DRIVE AS IF NOTHING IS WRONG!! TO PROVE THIS PRESS THE CRUISE CONTOL BUTTON AND THE CRUISE LIGHT WILL ILLUMINATE!!

THIS MEANS THAT YOUR CAR IS NOW DRIVING IN 'NORMAL' MODE WITH NO VSC, TRC AND EVEN THOUGH THE ABS LIGHT IS NOT ILLUMINATED YOU ALSO HAVE NO ABS.

ALL DRIVER AIDS ARE DISABLED!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Blinking heck!!! That's a worry.

:(

I shall be starting the legal process against Toyota for recovery of all monies that I spend in getting my vehicle back on the road!! Which legal services have stated that they will fight the case because they believe that there is a clear case to answer.

I have a 2004 T3-X 2.0 D4D that I imported from the UK in 2007.

Since then I've put 200k miles on the clock.

Only issues I've had were the front headlamp bulbs blowing frequently,

I understand that issue was fixed in later model years.

At 200,000 miles I had a bearing gone in the air-con pump, which is

the only major problem I've had yet.

I've been surprised by the great fuel economy and its a really comfortable car to drive.

I have an order in for a new 2.2 D4D T-Spirit due to arrive the first week of july.

Hello everyone, I recently bought the new avensis business (2009) 2.0 diesel and I love it.

I spent a long time testing all models, including the old avensis, both petrol and diesel and both 2.0 and 2.2 diesel.

I found that 2.0 diesel is very strong and more than sufficient unless you intend to goto german autobahn. The new 2.0 diesel also starts it's max torque at 1800 compared to 2000 rpm for old avensis.

Another good things is that if you are looking for comfort first of all, avoid low profile tyres (they may look cool but they give crappy comfort), and the 2.0 diesel engine is more quite, I found the the 2.2 engine noise is different and does bug me.

This is a great car, with a great engine and great comfort, in particularly if you avoid the low profile tyres. I 've tried to evaluate price, reliability and quality with other cards, saab, volvo and VW passat but I just love this avensis.

My prime paramater was quality/reliability, saftey and comfort. And this 2.0 diesel is also both economical and powerful. Great engine I would say.

To be honest I have only one think I could wish more for in this car - and that's that the steeing wheel would be adjustable a little longer more outwards, other than that it's awesome. The best car I've had without doubt.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links