Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Question Regarding Min Brake Disc Thickness - 4.3

kammy1975

Hi,

Simple question for you techies out there! Anyone know what the minimum brake disc thickness is for the front and rear discs on a RAV4.3 ? I was considering having the discs skimmed, as there appears to be some slight scoring as the pads are shot. I know some manufacturers have it stamped on the disc, but would rather I knew before I started taking them off, and realising they werent stamped, or possibly not the original manufacturers discs !

Cheers

Hi,

Simple question for you techies out there! Anyone know what the minimum brake disc thickness is for the front and rear discs on a RAV4.3 ? I was considering having the discs skimmed, as there appears to be some slight scoring as the pads are shot. I know some manufacturers have it stamped on the disc, but would rather I knew before I started taking them off, and realising they werent stamped, or possibly not the original manufacturers discs !

Cheers

Our resident expert on such things is Anchorman, who seems to be absent for a while (he may have gone into re-hab) anyway on my first service i was advised i might need a brake skim that was at only 5500 miles, i am now due a second service at 2yrs 11000miles so may have it done this time, are you out of warranty? as most people have had theres done under warranty, i am reasonably sure Anchs had his fronts replaced by Mr T, I am sure if i am wrong he will correct me, (When they let him out).. :unsure:

Hi,

Cheers

Our resident expert on such things is Anchorman, who seems to be absent for a while (he may have gone into re-hab) anyway on my first service i was advised i might need a brake skim that was at only 5500 miles, i am now due a second service at 2yrs 11000miles so may have it done this time, are you out of warranty? as most people have had theres done under warranty, i am reasonably sure Anchs had his fronts replaced by Mr T, I am sure if i am wrong he will correct me, (When they let him out).. :unsure:

THanks for the response. Car ran out on 1st March, but I bought it only a month ago ! Oddly, it was serviced only in December, and passed MOT in March, so can only assume the pads have worn quite heavily since.

Anyone know why the discs need skimming after such low mileage (as in Local hero's case)

skimming discs is keeping a lot of garages in work during the recession......

discs rarely warp - its transference of pad material that deposits on the discs that cause the shuddering.

Scoring on the disc if the pads are't worn to the metal is normal.

From my own experience of Toyota calipers on the Previa and the RAV, I can say that they do fail to operate correctly causing problems on the disc...normally with older cars though.

And as far as I know, the disc thickness is stamped on the inside of the bell. I doubt if you would manage to wear discs so quickly unless you drive around with left foot braking. Go into a parts dept and ask to see a new disc and take a tape or micrometer with you.

I had the rear discs of the Previa changed this week and one of them was in a worse state than I have ever seen - the caliper action was faulty but now loosened off and fixed.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links