Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Keyless Entry Problem

petee99d

I've done a search and none of the other problems with the keyless entry quite match up to what's happening to mine. I've only had the T180 for a couple of months, so I'm a bit disappointed it's let me down so quickly!

I went out to the car and unlocked it with the remote. I realised I'd forgotten my sunglasses, so went back into the house for them. When I got in the car and tried to start it, it kept cutting out and I got the error message "key not detected". So, I got out of the car and tried to lock it with the remote. Nothing happened. I kept trying and nothing happened. Ok, I thought, I'll try it with the key thingy in the lock and the car locked. I tried to use the remote to unlock the car and nothing happened but it unlocked with the key. I thought, "Flat Battery?", so went and fetched the spare fob. It did exactly the same thing as the other one (ie, nothing, except for the "key not detected" message). I can only lock/unlock the car with the key but obviously, I can't sart the bugger!

I've ordered some spare batteries in the hope that they will sort it out but isn't it strange that neither fob will work? I know that they both DID work, so there's no interference (the wifes' remotes work fine on her car). Any ideas if it's not the batteries? (which I suspect it's not).

Batteries will solve the problem , they seem to be very sore on batteries , we replaced both batteries in our fobs in Jan and needed to replace them again in May , you can generally get the remote to work if you wave it over the top of the dash. Ours did all the same stuff you have said . Make sure not to hold the new Battery on both poles if your fitting it yourself , apparently it drains them.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I had a similar problem with mine when I first had it. It wouldn't lock after I parked it up and then I had to hold the fob next to the starter button to get it to recognise the key as it came up with the 'key not detected' warning.

Mine only did it when parked outside a certain pub and business which I didn't think was relevant at first as I had parked previous cars there with remote key fobs without a problem (Skoda, Audi Volvo) all worked ok.

I don't know what caused the interference but if I parked on one side of the road it was ok but if I parked on the other there was a problem.

There was obviously some transmission from mone of the businesses nearby which I am guessing as being a Wi-Fi signal or similar. I have not had a problem with either of the key fobs at any other location so my advice would be to put the fob next to the starter button and if it starts take it somewhere else and see if the fault is location dependant.

If this doesn't change the fault try a new Battery and after that a dealer visit.

Good luck and let us know when you do trace the problem.

Regards

Well, it's working now! I can only assume that, because I didn't start the car within a certain time, the immobiliser was having some fun with me. I used to have a Renault that did a similar thing if you didn't start it within 30 seconds of unlocking it.

When the Rav did start, it kept cutting out at first, as if it had no fuel in it. Probably because I'd tried to start it so many times with the immobiliser cutting in, that the fuel lines were empty at first. After a couple of "false" starts, it was fine and is now back to it's normal self. Fingers crossed!

So, note to self, make sure I have everything I need for my journey before I go anywhere near my car!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links