Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turbo Lag

termitis

Hello again

is there a way to stop the turbo lag from a 2009 D4d????

it is very annoying because you have to wait 2 secs for the turbine to load..

any ideas???

thanks in advance

Uhh... the D4D has a variable vane turbo; If you're getting noticable lag I think you're driving it wrong :lol:

Uhh... the D4D has a variable vane turbo; If you're getting noticable lag I think you're driving it wrong :lol:

i used to have 2 cars in the past with Turbo diesel engines and i think i am driving it the right way. None of them had this lag. at least so much noticable

Get the ECU re-mapped. That way you will get more power and the re-mapping software will iron out any flatspots or lag. ;)

Get the ECU re-mapped. That way you will get more power and the re-mapping software will iron out any flatspots or lag. ;)

You wont get it re-mapped!

CHIP IT instead

Kingo :thumbsup:

You must be driving it wrong. You get a small amount of lag if you try and push on from very low down in the rev range, but it's not overly noticeable.

You must be driving it wrong. You get a small amount of lag if you try and push on from very low down in the rev range, but it's not overly noticeable.

and what is the best way to drive a diesel????

Smoothly :D

I'm probably not the best person to give advice as I'm always trying to beat my last 'score' mpg-wise and so I up-shift early (~1500-2000rpm) and don't accelerate very hard. ;)

However, since I've been told I should blast it now and then to stop the injectors and egr from getting blocked with soot and gunk, I found the engine responds better a at higher RPM - The 1.4 D4D has a flat max-torque zone of about 1800-3000 RPM so if you can keep it in there when shifting up and down it'll be very responsive to the throttle and even pesky things like hills will not stop its mighty acceleration!

I tried taking it up to 5000rpm but the power output starts to tail off noticably. Also the engine sounds really scary :lol:

But the car responds much better to a smooth acceleration; If you just floor it at low RPM the engine will bog down and you'll probably give everyone behind you really bad asthma :lol;, but once you get a sense of how much you can push it and feed it fuel smoothly within what it can take, it will respond much better. Throttle control ftw.

That said, when you get into that max-torque zone then you can bury the throttle and it'll shoot off :lol:

The 1.4 D4D has a flat max-torque zone of about 1800-3000 RPM so if you can keep it in there when shifting up and down it'll be very responsive to the throttle and even pesky things like hills will not stop its mighty acceleration!

agree... same with all diesels. I find 2100-3200 in my 2.0 Auris.

• 3 months later...

You wont get it re-mapped!

CHIP IT instead

Kingo :thumbsup:

How much?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links