Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fitting A Tow Bar

halfpastsix

Hi all. I bought a towbar off Ebay(!) and have fitted it ok. I was just wondering if I should have removed the tie down eyes that the bolts came from or left them on over the top of the towbar?

I guess that you mean the, tow rope, towing eye. I found that neither the towing eyebolt nor tow bar bolt was long enough to bolt the towing eye on top of the tow bar. But you can loop a rope round the tow ball if needed.

Guess if you bought the tow bar off e-bay there is a RAV4 for sale out there that ‘Has never towed owt mate!'

I think it's off a scrapped Rav 4.1. The seller seemed to be a scrap yard, selling all sorts of bits. I put it on without the tow eye things, as the bolts were not long enough. I just hope this is ok, because I'd hate to leave the back end of my car behind when I first tow something!

You really need to check you've done it right cos I'm sure the towbar is part of the MOT now.

Doesn't it also have to have the spec Badge on it now as well?

You also need to check that it's not been hit in an accident as this can cause stress damage to the ball itself causing them to shear under towing load. Usually this is an automatic replacement in insurance claims. At least it was when someone rear ended one of my old cars.

2nd hand tow bars aren't a good investment in terms of safety.

You really need to check you've done it right cos I'm sure the towbar is part of the MOT now.

Doesn't it also have to have the spec badge on it now as well?

You also need to check that it's not been hit in an accident as this can cause stress damage to the ball itself causing them to shear under towing load. Usually this is an automatic replacement in insurance claims. At least it was when someone rear ended one of my old cars.

2nd hand tow bars aren't a good investment in terms of safety.

But so much cheaper! I doubt I'll tow anything with it anyway.

I think Bodgit is quite riight re MOT test - if you have a Towbar fitted, it has be approved and certified for the vehicle - doesn't actually matter if you ever use it or not.

It maybe that this regulation came in after your RAV was first registered in which case you could be ok - at least for MOT testing!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links