Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Courtesy Switch Replacement

ShamblesX

Couldn't find a solution posted elsewhere in the forum so here goes...

Both door courtesy switches are playing up so I need to replace or repair them (they only occasionally activate the interior light, meaning the alarm doesn't know a door has been opened). Thing is, there isn't enough play to unclip them. I remove the single screw and can pull the device clear of the RAV, about 2 inches, no further. I need them to come out about 4 inches to be able to unclip them.

Should there be more play in the twin lead connected to the switches? Can't see an easy way of unclipping these things...

Anyone got any clues?

Cheers

Not just sure what you are struggling with. I just nipped out and mauled Wollastons car with a screwdriver;

Undo the phillips screw and just ease the switch out;

IMG_0556.jpg

......then squeeze the white clip and pull to detach the wire;

IMG_0557.jpg

Is that what you wanted to do? If so, just wrap some tape around the wire to stop it disappearing into the hole!

Is that what you wanted to do? If so, just wrap some tape around the wire to stop it disappearing into the hole!

Thanks anchorman. I'm not sure I can get it out as far as you have - almost certainly not on the passenger door, but I shall retry when swmbo returns later on :)

Thanks anchorman. I'm not sure I can get it out as far as you have - almost certainly not on the passenger door, but I shall retry when swmbo returns later on :)

Before going to the trouble of replacing them it might be worth spraying a little switch cleaner [or WD40?] into the moving part of the switch once you get them out - if you can get into that part.

... once you get them out - if you can get into that part.

Hi Davrav. Well if I can get to the point where I can see the faulty/corroded contacts, I'll clean them good and proper. The safety net is being able to replace them. The first big task is being able to unclip them :huh:

Now, where the devil is she with that dammed car :rolleyes:

Not worked opn a 3 door but I guess the other alternative is to pull back the rear panel and unclip it from the inside. I'm fairly sure they will have been assembled from the front though.

• 4 weeks later...
Not just sure what you are struggling with...

This is what I struggled with...

Pic-0259.jpg

No room to play at all... ended up forcing a loop of heavy guage wire behind the white block, then praying...

Ta for the help. Just got the brake pads to do now...

Following your post, I did commandeer Wolastons switch and it didn't seem too bad.

First pull back the switch;

IMG_0556-1.jpg

I guess the thing to do at this stage is to put a tie wrap or some tape to stop the plug popping back but then poor Wolastons mrs was ask to model squeezing the clip to unplug;

IMG_0557-1.jpg

However, it doesn't help when I forget to post the pics!!!

Cheers mate. In my pic that was the furthest out the connection would come so you can see why I struggled a bit - I couldn't get hold of the white block.

All sorted now :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links