Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

57 Auris 1.6 Clutch/gearbox Failure At 20k

adam_d

Hi guys, just had some lovely news from Toyota.

For a couple of weeks now, the car has been noticeably difficult to get into gear sometimes, and has had a bit of a creaky clutch pedal. Took the car for the 20k mile service, and they said they'd take a look. They came back and said bring it back next week, we need to look at it, we think it needs a new clutch but won't be 100% sure until we look at it, it might be a gearbox. They say it will take longer because apparently a new clutch is £1000?! And they need to clear any warranty claims worth £1000+ with Toyota first. Has anyone else had this or is this just a one off thing?

£1000 for a new clutch. Looks like i'll be getting rid of my auris before the clutch is due. There is NO WAY i'm paying £1000 for a new clutch. :censor:

£1000 for a new clutch. Looks like i'll be getting rid of my auris before the clutch is due. There is NO WAY i'm paying £1000 for a new clutch. :censor:

The gearbox in my Auris was replaced after 250 miles. Similar situation as I could drive with no problem but they called me to fit a new one.

Toyota prices (and other dealers too) are mad. I think they making up for low sales by increasing part/service cost. I made enquiry about new wing mirror- glass only was £80+VAT :eek:

You are sooooo right about the cost of Toyota spares - I recently had to replace a damaged aerial base (the small mount on the roof that the aerial whip screws into) on my E12 Corolla and it cost in excess of £100!! Even the dealer keyed it in twice 'cos he didn't believe it :blink:

I had my clutch & pressure plate replaced after just 2,800 miles :huh: as some members on here will recall , see topic... http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...rt=#entry813049

wow you do seem to be having some bad luck with your Auris. Your last post in the thread was last oct. Do you ever get your problems with the gearbox/clutch/brakes sorted?

I must be lucky cos I don't have any of these issues. I have an 07' 2.0 diesel as opposed to your 1.6 petrol. I wonder if the majority of these problems are 1.6 petrol related, but i can't see how. Surley they must use the same gearbox and clutch components for both models as it would be more expensive for the manufactures. Maybe they started using different component suppliers with the newer Auris's??????

I had my clutch & pressure plate replaced after just 2,800 miles :huh: as some members on here will recall , see topic... http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...rt=#entry813049

wow you do seem to be having some bad luck with your Auris. Your last post in the thread was last oct. Do you ever get your problems with the gearbox/clutch/brakes sorted?

I must be lucky cos I don't have any of these issues. I have an 07' 2.0 diesel as opposed to your 1.6 petrol. I wonder if the majority of these problems are 1.6 petrol related, but i can't see how. Surley they must use the same gearbox and clutch components for both models as it would be more expensive for the manufactures. Maybe they started using different component suppliers with the newer Auris's??????

As said , the clutch & pressure plate were replaced , as for the brakes , they were sorted a while back now , with no further recurrence of noise :thumbsup:

I got a simillar problem, nearing 20.000km and sometimes when i fully press down the clutch and shift it's not going into gear and feels like it's not fully clutched - resulting in the noise everyone recognizes :D

Aren't gearboxes different for auris diesel and petrol? Somebody above claims something else.

Both engines have different characteristics and parameters so that implies to me that gearbox should match particular engine. Isn't that so?

I'm inclined to say some people including dealers seem to take great joy in saying how expensive something is without even checking :angry:

For the worlds information, the full retail price on a 1.6 Auris clutch is £296, yes it needs to be fitted, but that isnt going to be £700 :eek:

A clutch on a 2.0 Diesel is £248 at todays prices. The gearboxes/clutches on a Petrol/Diesel are different

Kingo :thumbsup:

I'm inclined to say some people including dealers seem to take great joy in saying how expensive something is without even checking :angry:

For the worlds information, the full retail price on a 1.6 Auris clutch is £296, yes it needs to be fitted, but that isnt going to be £700 :eek:

A clutch on a 2.0 Diesel is £248 at todays prices. The gearboxes/clutches on a Petrol/Diesel are different

I'm just going off what the lady on the service desk said, I don't take any joy in quoting the prices at all :( The lady wasn't sure whether it would be the gearbox too, so perhaps that might explain why it's around £1000.

I'm just going off what the lady on the service desk said

Exactly the point I was making!

I wasnt having a dig at you personally, the point was some people (including dealers) seem to want to frighten the life out of you without even looking for the price, it is sooo bad practice

A new gearbox would set you back £1700 plus the clutch so she got it wrong on both counts :lol:

I'm just going off what the lady on the service desk said

Exactly the point I was making!

I wasnt having a dig at you personally, the point was some people (including dealers) seem to want to frighten the life out of you without even looking for the price, it is sooo bad practice

A new gearbox would set you back £1700 plus the clutch so she got it wrong on both counts :lol:

Alright, good thing it's under warranty :o Thanks for the clarification of prices :P Will let you all know what happens.

Most modern diesel engines(but not all)have a clutch fitted with a dual mass flywheel.The dmf is supposed to replace the job of the springs in the clutch friction plate as modern diesel engines produce very high torque.The dmf is supposed to make for much smoother gear change.

From my experience on the ones I have worked on if your dmf requires changing when your clutch is renewed then expect a very big bill.

Lots of clutch manufacturers now producing kits to do away with dmf by having much stronger springs in the friction plate.

Fitted a few and not had any comebacks.

Not talking about mickey mouse manufactures either.LUK springs to mind.

Has Toyota or anybody given us reply on the clucth issues, as yet?

It would apppear that my 1.8 Auris is already showing these symptoms

What symptoms?????? , can you be speciffic .

Well,

Just as the clutch engages, you hear a hard clunking sound, , After long drives the sound is more pronounced !!

I'm still selecting all the gears thou,

A close friend has the Corrolla, Already struggling to find 1st gear after only 30 000kms !!

Well,

Just as the clutch engages, you hear a hard clunking sound, , After long drives the sound is more pronounced !!

A close friend has the Corrolla, Already struggling to find 1st gear after only 30 000kms !!

OK , at the time when my car was making a clank whilst gear changing , i asked my toyota dealership to investigate , the outcome was as i have stated in previous posts , the clutch and pressure plate were changed as a pair , when i got the car back nothing had changed as regards the clank , it was still there , when i asked how they arrived at the diagnosis , i was told that they attached an IT2 ( intelligent tester 2 ) to the car , which fed back information to the IT2 via various censors on the car , and the information showed that the clutch pressure plate was faulty , however some time later i found out from a toyota technician via this forum that it is impossible to diagnose problems with the internal workings of the clutch using an IT2 , as there are no censors within the clutch , so basically my dealership just told me what they did in order to satisfy my question , i.e bullsh-t baffles brains , they were'nt going to admit that they were'nt sure , so they took the decision to change the clutch and see what happens .

I can tell you that at the time there was no clutch slip or judder , just a clank every time i changed gear , and as said when i got the car back after the clutch & pressure plate were changed there was no difference , so i took the car back and i went out in the car with their master technician to show him when the clank occured , he told me that there was nothing wrong and the clank was simply a characteristic of the car .

so basically what i wll say is if the car is working perfectly normal without any problems engaging the gears , and there is no slip or judder , then in my oppinion there is nothing wrong , but if you want peace of mind , go get it checked out by all means , what i am trying to say in a rather long winded way is , don't overly worry yourself , in my oppinion from my experience there was no need what-so-ever to change the clutch and pressure plate , i hope this information can put a few peoples minds at ease :thumbsup:

Well,

OK , at the time when my car was making a clank whilst gear changing , i asked my toyota dealership to investigate , the outcome was as i have stated in previous posts , the clutch and pressure plate were changed as a pair , when i got the car back nothing had changed as regards the clank , it was still there , when i asked how they arrived at the diagnosis , i was told that they attached an IT2 ( intelligent tester 2 ) to the car , which fed back information to the IT2 via various censors on the car , and the information showed that the clutch pressure plate was faulty , however some time later i found out from a toyota technician via this forum that it is impossible to diagnose problems with the internal workings of the clutch using an IT2 , as there are no censors within the clutch , so basically my dealership just told me what they did in order to satisfy my question , i.e bullsh-t baffles brains , they were'nt going to admit that they were'nt sure , so they took the decision to change the clutch and see what happens .

I can tell you that at the time there was no clutch slip or judder , just a clank every time i changed gear , and as said when i got the car back after the clutch & pressure plate were changed there was no difference , so i took the car back and i went out in the car with their master technician to show him when the clank occured , he told me that there was nothing wrong and the clank was simply a characteristic of the car .

so basically what i wll say is if the car is working perfectly normal without any problems engaging the gears , and there is no slip or judder , then in my oppinion there is nothing wrong , but if you want peace of mind , go get it checked out by all means , what i am trying to say in a rather long winded way is , don't overly worry yourself , in my oppinion from my experience there was no need what-so-ever to change the clutch and pressure plate , i hope this information can put a few peoples minds at ease :thumbsup:

Hi Balli ,

Thank you for the eloborate response,

I 've taken the car in to the dealer who has booked it in for early next week.

Just to confirm the clanking sounding is normal??

Does you car still make this sound ?? or have you learned just to live with it ??

Thanks,

Shaun,

Well,

Hi Balli ,

Thank you for the eloborate response,

I 've taken the car in to the dealer who has booked it in for early next week.

Just to confirm the clanking sounding is normal??

Does you car still make this sound ?? or have you learned just to live with it ??

Thanks,

Shaun,

Hi Shaun

The answer to your question is yes on both counts , all the best :thumbsup:

Hi Ballli,

I do live quite close to the South African Manufacturing plant ( Prospecton - Durban) and see hundreds of Corrollas lined up for export, The work force is riddled with strike action and other gripes and so I don't feel the SA based cars are up to std,

However with the Auris being built in UK , I felt a bit better in thinking I was buying a well asssembled product , ??!!

Hi Ballli,

I do live quite close to the South African Manufacturing plant ( Prospecton - Durban) and see hundreds of Corrollas lined up for export, The work force is riddled with strike action and other gripes and so I don't feel the SA based cars are up to std,

However with the Auris being built in UK , I felt a bit better in thinking I was buying a well asssembled product , ??!!

I think you'll find the Auris is also built in Turkey , as for buying a well assembled product , i would'nt say its not well assembled , sure the car does have various rattle issues ect , although i have been fairly lucky on that front because i dont have any dash rattles or other , that others have complained of ( touch wood ) .

Also the interior materials used in the cabin have come in for a fair bit of criticism from some including me , but build quality for me is not an issue .

Alright, we have an update!

The car went in the garage this morning, and all was well until this afternoon, when we got a call to say the threads on one end of the driveshaft were stripped off when they removed it, and that obviously if left like that the hub would fall off, so a new one has had to be ordered in. I'm a little bit dubious about whether the threads actually were stripped when they took it off, but never mind. As a courtesy car they gave us a Yaris TR 1.0, which sounds like a diesel, but I have to say is impressive considering the tiny engine :P

• 3 years later...

my Auris has suffered the same fault .. Auris SR 18,800 miles on clock full service history

.basically what was described is that the gear selector fails or partially fails so when your try and change gear even with your foot fully pressed on the clutch it either will not go into gear or will still grind the gears heavily ..... this will in turn either screw up your gearbox or bugger your clutch... or if like me ..... both ! toyota have taken back my car and are going to remove the transmission and check all the key drive componants

hope fully they will deem this as warranty and.... should...... incure no cost !!!!!

fingers crossed but all i know is im selling it once its fixed!

my Auris has suffered the same fault .. 2010 Auris SR 18,800 miles on clock full service history

.basically what was described is that the gear selector fails or partially fails so when your try and change gear even with your foot fully pressed on the clutch it either will not go into gear or will still grind the gears heavily ..... this will in turn either screw up your gearbox or bugger your clutch... or if like me ..... both ! toyota have taken back my car and are going to remove the transmission and check all the key drive componants

hope fully they will deem this as warranty and.... should...... incure no cost !!!!!

fingers crossed but all i know is im selling it once its fixed!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links