Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4.3 Audio Options

abraxas

I am getting bored with lack of decent content on the FM radio so I have been doing some research into audio options for a RAV 4.3. So, my research focused on DAB radio and/or adding AUX-IN.

So I thought I put my research up, maybe someone finds it useful, and maybe others can fill in the holes in my research and make it a sticky?

DAB Radio

I found out that there is know that there is a lot of talk about UK’s DAB radio being “under par” comparing to the new DAB+ technology and that current DAB tuners would not be compatible / upgradeable. Main gripe being that the current DAB is needs wide-band for decent signal and the need to cram lot of channels traded off against the sound quality. There is also talk on t’internet about US-style satellite radio (XM) entering European markets but that also looks like a bit of a remote possibility.

Anyways, it is looking like the decision to kill off current DAB incarnation is unlikely to come very soon, with rumours of transmissions running in parallel on DAB and its successor for years yet. (And probably FM too) Besides, my primary reason would be the extra stations, so it may well be worth going for it at least for some people.

- I know that there is a (somewhat unpopular) OEM “Technical Pack” that comes with DAB tuner, but I don’t seem to be able to find much information or the prices anywhere. (Kingo?)

- Obviously there is always the ripping out the existing unit and fitting a “fascia adapter “ ( for example) and then going for an aftermarket unit solution. This may incur further costs/problems rigging up the steering wheel control (and probably wouldn’t work with my bluetooth setup). This option looks like it could get really expensive

- There are also add-ons like “Pure Highway” (

) But I didn’t fancy that one as it uses an FM transmission to the main car’s system. I have a Belkin transmitter-gizmo that was my first attempt at the problem, but I find it next to useless in providing very similar functionality.

Research is still continuing on this one...

External sources

iPod connection

Covered beautifully @ this post by Anchorman

OEM AUX-IN

I know that our US cousin comes with AUX socket in the armrest and that 2009 RAV is meant to have it, but I don’t seem to be able to find even a mention of an OEM solution from Toyota. Again Kingo?

The solutions I did come across:

RAW

Way too complicated for me, but some electronic enthusiast may find easy enough:

AVCLAN

(schm’s original topic)

Connects2 “CTVTYX002” AUX-IN (about £30)

Example

Another example

Then I started to look at the idea of USB connection as well. It may come in useful to charge stuff and play music off the USB storage. I came across these:

Connects2 “CTATYUSB002” USB/AUX (about £70)

Example

GROM USB/AUX ) (125 US$)

ExampleI didn’t find a UK distributor for this one (yet). And I am not sure it will work with our head units

All of these seem to work by making use / impersonating the CD multichanger. This reflects on the USB in the following way: you basically have to arrange your music into folders named “CD01,CD02...CD06” and put up to 99 tracks into the folders. These are then accessed like CDs on the multichanger. This works well for people who like using USB sticks, SD cards with readers. Unfortunately, not so much for people with loads of music on a portable hard-disk based MP3 player with its own folder structure. (I have an old 80Gb Archos with loads of folders all over the place)

As both if these USB solutions seem to also support an AUX-in, I am still considering going for the USB solution. (Particularly if the added USB port would be able to charge our mobiles, MP3 players, GPS and other gizmos.)

Phew. That was a bit of a typo-thone. :) Hope someone finds it useful.

Opinions, suggestions, links very welcome.

Small disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with any of the links above, they are just random Google hits I encountered researching. I also rounded-up the prices to reflect that there may be delivery costs to add... Google it yourself, I’ve put the model numbers in the quotes for easy searching. :)

2009 RAV is geared up for bluetooth, Aux-in etc and has modules for DAB and USB/Ipod interface so I guess the other option is to go for the whole head unit and modules. It would be expensive but will integrate well;

Audio.pdf

Audio_aux.pdf

Audio_bluetooth.pdf

Audio_steering_wheel_control.pdf

the wohnort.org/DAB website has a lot of info about dab worldwide. The pure highway also has an audio out to feed an aux in as an alternative to using rf. I keep saying that I'm going to buy a second aerial to borrow the highway from a friend and try it in the RAV. She has problems when using the rf and has bought a tape adapter! although a friend of hers has no problem. VW charge £160 for a dab rx on the tiguan - don't know how much Mr T wants.

GROM USB/AUX ) (125 US$)

ExampleI didn’t find a UK distributor for this one (yet). And I am not sure it will work with our head units

There is one. http://carputer-shop.co.uk/

One benefit of getting a Grom is that they regularly update their firmware.

There is also the Dension. This is however slightly more expensive than the Grom, but does also have an Ipod interface. They also update firmware.

I have not tried any of these, because believe they won't work with my first generation full map sat nav head unit... At least the connects2 unit didn't

2009 RAV is geared up for bluetooth, Aux-in etc and has modules for DAB and USB/Ipod interface so I guess the other option is to go for the whole head unit and modules. It would be expensive but will integrate well;

Audio.pdf

Audio_aux.pdf

Audio_bluetooth.pdf

Audio_steering_wheel_control.pdf

Anchorman, do you have any prices for the radios with the 6.5 " screens??

Regards

Regards

I'll beat Anchorman to it! :)

RV6_21_A.jpg

This is the only Sat Nav option available on the new Rav.

Regards

I'll beat Anchorman to it! :)

RV6_21_A.jpg

This is the only Sat Nav option available on the new Rav.

He said PRICES not PICTURES cloth ears (or eyes!!!) :P

Err, no sorry but Kingo will. At a guess the radio will be £1500 and another grand for all the modules.

• 1 month later...
I am getting bored with lack of decent content on the FM radio so I have been doing some research into audio options for a RAV 4.3. So, my research focused on DAB radio and/or adding AUX-IN.

So I thought I put my research up, maybe someone finds it useful, and maybe others can fill in the holes in my research and make it a sticky?

DAB Radio

I found out that there is know that there is a lot of talk about UK’s DAB radio being “under par” comparing to the new DAB+ technology and that current DAB tuners would not be compatible / upgradeable. Main gripe being that the current DAB is needs wide-band for decent signal and the need to cram lot of channels traded off against the sound quality. There is also talk on t’internet about US-style satellite radio (XM) entering European markets but that also looks like a bit of a remote possibility.

Anyways, it is looking like the decision to kill off current DAB incarnation is unlikely to come very soon, with rumours of transmissions running in parallel on DAB and its successor for years yet. (And probably FM too) Besides, my primary reason would be the extra stations, so it may well be worth going for it at least for some people.

- I know that there is a (somewhat unpopular) OEM “Technical Pack” that comes with DAB tuner, but I don’t seem to be able to find much information or the prices anywhere. (Kingo?)

- Obviously there is always the ripping out the existing unit and fitting a “fascia adapter “ ( for example) and then going for an aftermarket unit solution. This may incur further costs/problems rigging up the steering wheel control (and probably wouldn’t work with my Bluetooth setup). This option looks like it could get really expensive

) But I didn’t fancy that one as it uses an FM transmission to the main car’s system. I have a Belkin transmitter-gizmo that was my first attempt at the problem, but I find it next to useless in providing very similar functionality.

External sources

iPod connection

OEM AUX-IN

I know that our US cousin comes with AUX socket in the armrest and that 2009 RAV is meant to have it, but I don’t seem to be able to find even a mention of an OEM solution from Toyota. Again Kingo?

RAW

Way too complicated for me, but some electronic enthusiast may find easy enough:

AVCLAN

(schm’s original topic)

Example

Another example

Then I started to look at the idea of USB connection as well. It may come in useful to charge stuff and play music off the USB storage. I came across these:

Example

GROM USB/AUX ) (125 US$)

All of these seem to work by making use / impersonating the CD multichanger. This reflects on the USB in the following way: you basically have to arrange your music into folders named “CD01,CD02...CD06” and put up to 99 tracks into the folders. These are then accessed like CDs on the multichanger. This works well for people who like using USB sticks, SD cards with readers. Unfortunately, not so much for people with loads of music on a portable hard-disk based MP3 player with its own folder structure. (I have an old 80Gb Archos with loads of folders all over the place)

As both if these USB solutions seem to also support an AUX-in, I am still considering going for the USB solution. (Particularly if the added USB port would be able to charge our mobiles, MP3 players, GPS and other gizmos.)

Small disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with any of the links above, they are just random Google hits I encountered researching. I also rounded-up the prices to reflect that there may be delivery costs to add... Google it yourself, I’ve put the model numbers in the quotes for easy searching. :)

There are several "OEM look" perfect fit units now available from China. These units have everything from SD slots to USB ports plus GPS, DVD playback, bluetooth phone integration, you name it. I've heard good things about this one from AutoSoul:

Problem is, you have to order it from China but the price is only $530 USD:

200972975224681.jpg

Another one is the RoadRover, also from China. I've heard this one has a few bugs--the main one being you have to shut it down before turning off the ignition or it will lock up. This could just be a firmware problem. More info at RoadRover:

200961163727.jpg

Finally, I think there is another similar unit available on eBay. They seem to have different configurations for various countries. Worth a look.

• 2 weeks later...

I really do like the look of those head units!

Has anyone bought one yet to see if they match up to their claims?

Cheers, Des.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the head units from 2009 models are interchangeable physically and electronically with the older 4.3 models?

Are they physically the same shape etc and if I fit a 2009 model head unit in an 07 car will the steering wheel controls work etc etc?

They look the same to me, but just wondering if anyone had first hand knowledge.

Cheers, Des.

• 3 weeks later...

DAB Radio

- Obviously there is always the ripping out the existing unit and fitting a “fascia adapter “ ( for example) and then going for an aftermarket unit solution. This may incur further costs/problems rigging up the steering wheel control (and probably wouldn’t work with my Bluetooth setup). This option looks like it could get really expensive

External sources

iPod connection

OEM AUX-IN

RAW

AVCLAN

(schm’s original topic)

Example

Another example

Example

GROM USB/AUX ) (125 US$)

Hi, just read with interest you blog, i have had the USB connection kit fitted to me new RAV4 and i am sorry to say that it does not work and i am returning to the dealer to try and get it fixed. When i plug the ipod in nothing happens, is it the cable i ask mysekf or has it been installed incorretly, do you know if anyone else has had this problem?

Michael

Did you try scrolling through the "disc" menu on your head unit? The USB connector is hooked into the CD changer port so you have to press the "disc" button until CDCH appears in the display and indicates you are now reading from the external connection. I know it should find it on its own but they rarely do.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Trying to decide whether a ctvtyx002 will do the job for my rav4. It's a 2007 xtr with 58827 matsu*****a head unit.

Can anyone confirm that it definitely does work with the rav4? Lots of websites selling the ctvtyx002 don't list the rav4 as compatible. Even the connects2 website doesn't list the rav4 as compatible.

I want to use it with a iPhone. Does anyone know whether it will get the funny buzzy/beepy noise that you get with an iPhone when it's connected to a non shielded device?

If this doesn't work then I think I'm going to fork out for a parrot system.

• 9 months later...

Trying to decide whether a ctvtyx002 will do the job for my rav4. It's a 2007 xtr with 58827 matsu*****a head unit.

hi, i was wondering what was your decision in the end - in other words: whether you've been able to install & run the ctvtyx002 module with the 58827 head unit, cause i'm kinda running into the same issue here.

Toyota do a DAB kit for about £400, and the new RAV you can get a USB/iPod interface kit for about £145, the dont do any replacement sets/head units

Kingo :thumbsup:

Has anyone tried fitting an ipod kit to a 58827 (6 disc inbuilt) stereo?

I bought a DICE unit, but it does not work (ipod does not even pickup a charge). The Company that sold the unit have been helpful and I will visit them next week, but was wondering if anyone has had success with this unit.

Thanks

Mathew

Thanks Anchorman.

I fitted it exactly as described so it must be a faulty unit or wiring.

Cheers

Mathew

This gen Toyota kit works perfectly with that head unit;

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72652

If you've got that Y piece in, chuck it out and try again.

You have got a compatible Ipod?

Not sure. I have a 5 yr old 4 gig Nano. Is there a list of compatible ipods?

Thanks Anchorman.

I fitted it exactly as described so it must be a faulty unit or wiring.

Cheers

Mathew

This gen Toyota kit works perfectly with that head unit;

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72652

If you've got that Y piece in, chuck it out and try again.

You have got a compatible Ipod?

Hmmm

Can you take a photo and let me see it?

If you look at this site:

http://newata.toyota-europe.com

and work through the menu system -

For the earlier ipod only adapter, there is a note:

"The iPod Adapter Unit supports the following iPod models: iPod Generation 4, iPod Photo, iPod Generation 5, iPod Nano, iPod Mini, iPod Touch and iPhone."

For the later USB/ipod adapter (I suspect only compatible with 2009 on RAVs) there is a note:

"Supported iPod/iPhone: Nano (as from firmware Version 1.021.01),Nano G2 (as from firmware Version 1.02), Generation 5 (as from firmware Version 1.021.01),iPhone (as from firmware Version 1.021.01). Firmware version 1.00 or older are not compatible."

There is also a pdf (attached - and I suspect this is only applicable to 2006-2009 RAVs), which shows which headunits go with which ipod only adapter and whether cdtext (and probably therefore probably artist/track etc display) is supported.

iPodAppOnToyota.pdf

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links