Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iphone/any Phone Holder

OvertheHill

Hi - if anyone is looking for a phone holder I've fitted a Brodit Prius specific ProClip and iPhone specific Passive Holder. The ProClip is designed for the Gen III Prius and attaches without screws - very good. The holder attaches to it and there are holders for many different phones - both passive and with charging cables.

Pictures from their site here

Part number 604356 for the ProClip (there are others that attach to the centre console) and 875214 for the iPhone holder.

I think it's excellent.

Hi - if anyone is looking for a phone holder I've fitted a Brodit Prius specific ProClip and iPhone specific Passive Holder. The ProClip is designed for the Gen III Prius and attaches without screws - very good. The holder attaches to it and there are holders for many different phones - both passive and with charging cables.

Part number 604356 for the ProClip (there are others that attach to the centre console) and 875214 for the iPhone holder.

I think it's excellent.

Why do you need a 'phone holder? Mine works perfectly while tucked away in the arm rest compartment and plugged into the power socket there.

Good question. It's because the in-built satnav doesn't have a speedcam database. I am using an iPhone app called trapster so it needs gps reception

Good question. It's because the in-built satnav doesn't have a speedcam database. I am using an iPhone app called trapster so it needs gps reception

Ah - I see. I use a tiny little device by Inforad (K1) that is Battery powered and just sits on the dashboard. Look here

Ah - I see. I use a tiny little device by Inforad (K1) that is Battery powered and just sits on the dashboard. Look here

I also have the Toyota built in sat nav and at the moment I am using a sat nav with no route set to warn of speed cameras .

Thanks for providing the link for Inforad it looks just what I have been looking for especially as it uses Pocket GPS speed camera warnings which is probably the best .

What is Inforad like in everyday use would you recommend it and are there any problems with it and which model would recommend

I will not start another thread up because it does relate a little to the original poster comments as many phones also have sat nav and speed camera warnings on them

What is Inforad like in everyday use would you recommend it and are there any problems with it and which model would recommend

I will not start another thread up because it does relate a little to the original poster comments as many phones also have sat nav and speed camera warnings on them

I only have the K1 and it works well for me, but I can imagine it not suiting everyone. You need to look carefully at Battery life and judge whether it will cope with the kind of journeys that you do.

It's easy to swich off when you don't need it - on motorways for example - and I keep a USB connector in the car so that I can top it up, but I charge it mainly by plugging it into the USB connector on my laptop.

The camera indications on it are simpler than on other devices I have tried, but they do the job.

It is easy to top up the data base info. Just open the Inforad software to connoct to their website and plug the device into a USB socket and follow the instructions.

Must admit the gps drains the iPhone very rapidly indeed. Like the look of these devices. Do you get many false alerts? By that I mean if you are travelling down one road near to another that has a camera?

Must admit the gps drains the iPhone very rapidly indeed. Like the look of these devices. Do you get many false alerts? By that I mean if you are travelling down one road near to another that has a camera?

Yes, you do get false alerts. The device uses a common data base (the one from Pocket GPS World I believe) so if that has errors the device reflects them, but there is provision to suggest amendments if you can see that things are wrong.

The other factor that affects the false alerts I believe, is the proximity setting that you use. You can vary the time interval between getting the alert and passing the camera. If you make the interval short you reduce the proximity area and have less chance of picking up cameras on adjacent road but you also have less time to reduce your speed if necessary.

If you make the interval long, you increase the proximity area, giving yourself more time to take action, but also increasing the chance that you will detect cameras on adjacent roads.

For example, if you set a 30 second delay and you are doing 80 m.p.h., you will cover 1,173 yards in that 30 seconds so the device needs to detect a camera (say) 1200 yards away. Near junctions, there may easily be another road with a camera within that sort of distance.

I think it's excellent.

I like the look of the Brodit clip. Must investigate, once Toyota get around to delivering the beast.

You can attach two clips to the central console also. That's handy for either my Garmin 770 (with safety camera database) or my Mio PDA (with battlefield maps installed). Or even the BlackBerry.

Another vote for the Inforad- it costs £39.95 in Halfords including updates for life. Its GPS sensor is so sensitive that it works when plugged in to its charger in the 12v socket under the dashboard of a Prius 3. Its batttery life is obviously not an issue when left plugged in. You have to have its top side pointing upwards, which unfortunately means that you can't see its lights in that position, but the audible warning is more than sufficient- the different coloured lights only tell you if you're heading for a fixed or mobile camera. I'm happy to be warned of either!

Pete

• 8 months later...

I think it's excellent.

May I wondering if you Brodit phone holder is similar with mine? Mine is like this one: http://www.sourcingmap.com/wireless-transmitter-wtemperature-for-ipod-touch-iphone-nano-mp34-holder-car-charger-p-15018.html

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links