Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Polishing Wax?

SMH13

Hello

Can anyone recommend any car wax for a really good finish please?

Its a minefield of car products and I wondered which ones are the best.

Any information on scratch removal is also appreciated !!

Thank You :thumbsup:

Hello

Bluevortex is your man for this one. He can get a stealth shine on a motor by all accounts: See here

There are numerous products available to care for your paintwork. I try to choose practical ones but there are some for the purists and you need to dig deep for some of them. These are dead easy to use;

I use Meguire's Scratch X to get rid of scratches and scuffs as and when required.

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/product/198

I use Meguire's Swirl X to get rid of swirl marks and spider webs about twice a year;

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/product/199

I use meguires clay kit about twice a year or sometimes do a panel after each wash. This gives a spectacularly smooth finish.

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/product/195

You have to seperate the process of polishing from waxing. Polishing shines up the surface and waxing puts on a protective coat. There are some products that do both like Auto Glym super resin polish but I had trouble with that dusting up on the surface so I now do it seperately.

I use Meguire's Gold Class or NXT Tech wax only after the previous steps.

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/product/209

This stuff is addictive if you smell it - Gorgeous fruity smell!!!

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/product/211

After waxing I seal it with Auto Glym extra gloss

I think they need waxing at least twice a year. After washing I leather off and then mist on Meguire's Quick Detailer or Ultimate Quick detailer. You can do all the plastic and glass other than the windscreen and it removes all the water marks and maintains the wax between coats. Water just beads off and it looks like a mirror.

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/product/219

Now, young Bluevortex will come along and show you how to do it professionally but it is quite a lengthy process and not cheap but the results are spectacular. There is one of his post somewhere and I should pin it if somebody can find it.

Have fun!

I tried brillo pads with candle wax and it made a helluva mess. :wacko: :wacko:

Aye nice one Dave, this is his 4 year old T180 after detailing. Its actually Yew Green but is so shiney it looks almost black here;

rav4final1.jpg

rav4final2.jpg

Keep in mind this is no mean feat. It is hard work and the polish he uses is very expensive (£60 an eyeful or something daft) and is a !Removed! to apply. However, you can see the results. There is another one where he showed some of the process on his dads new car.............

Probably just technique Bothy :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Probably just technique Bothy :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

aye - the blow torch ran out of gas

Hello

Bluevortex gives us all some good advice HERE Have a good read thru but don't take anything written by me as serious, theres an excellent video of how the pro's do a ferrari if you have a spare £1500 :eek: If you do have a spare £1500 PM me i know a good charity :yes: Stew

I have found that this Poorboys combo works a treat with dark cars. Will be buying the light coulour equivalent soon! Here are some pics of the results on the car I had before the Rav4.

8a704882.jpg

IMG_4228.jpg

Photo0228.jpg

Photo0230.jpg

I do miss the performance of the 270bhp lump, but I'm loving the comfort and relative economy of the rav!!!

Good stuff, the Nattys paste is a hard carnuba wax that melts on touch. Smells like bubblegum!!!

Im a sucker for Meguiars products, they really do some quality stuff.

If you are just after a shine on the car without doing any correction work to the paint then I suggest you use the Meguiars 3 Step kit, this contains a cleaner, a polish then a wax, if im honest the wax isnt the best and doesnt have much staying power, if you want to go that one step further in giving your paintwork some protection then use a paste wax, Dodo Juice do all different waxes to suit the colour of your car.

The best way to get a good shine is machine polishing, I find it relaxing and it has turned into a bit of a hobby of mine.

If you want top quality products at good prices see here Ninja Shine

TOC discount if you use TOC5 ;)

This is the result of 1 coat of Harly Wax... lots of satisfied customers with this wax so far

59388_1613306249713_1147996028_31759391_3872343_n.jpg

We're adding more and more products and are currently sourcing clay Bars thumbsup.gif

im one of said happy customers, fantastic result!! Lostitboy0243.jpgLostitboy0244.jpg

Sorry to jump in on this thread late on but I see loads of good advice has already been given. By hand polishing you are limited but results can be achieved, if I had to recommend a polish it would be Autoglym Super Resin polish. This stuff is great by hand as it has filling properties which can mask swirls rather well. Also Megs range is worth a look. I would worry to much about matching a wax with a polish. You can pretty much take your pic. For overall durability I would recommend Collinite 476/915 depending on colour of car. However, i'm aware the more 'mature' Rav4 owners ;) on this forum are finding it difficult to remove. Add to 1-2 panels then remove, add in thin layers out of direct sun and use plenty of microfibres and you should be fine. An alternative would be Victoria Wax concours, very good wax for the money. There's plenty options at around £20-30 as mentioned Harleys, Dodo, Megs etc... But remember a wax is only as good as the finish. Spend time getting the basic wash/clay/polish right is my advice.

All the best

Andrew

If you want top quality products at good prices see here Ninja Shine

TOC discount if you use TOC5 ;)

This is the result of 1 coat of Harly Wax... lots of satisfied customers with this wax so far

59388_1613306249713_1147996028_31759391_3872343_n.jpg

We're adding more and more products and are currently sourcing Clay Bars thumbsup.gif

Lovely finish and I have used this wax and liked deep wet finish particulalry evident on black paint. However, I did find the durability was poor and would need re-applying often, therefore would use as a summer wax and would prefer something more durable in winter months.

I would point out to anybody looking at your picture - don't expect to apply this wax and get a finish the same as this. You won't, well unless your car surface is really well prepared or relatively new, prior to applying the wax. The car will need to be free of contaminants, swirls, holograms.... you get the point.

Lovely finish and I have used this wax and liked deep wet finish particulalry evident on black paint. However, I did find the durability was poor and would need re-applying often, therefore would use as a summer wax and would prefer something more durable in winter months.

I am still testing the durability of the Harly on mine with a single coat. It has been on about 2 months now and the car has been washed a few times and it still beads very well. Tried to test our new clay out last night using water as a lube, which was a bit of a pain as the water just ran straight off!

I will be applying a couple of coats of this on the GFs Aygo this weekend after a proper detail.

I notice you have a foam lance, which one did you go for? I will be investing in an Autobrite one soon, and we work closely with Autobrite selling their products. Have you tried them? I find their cherry glaze all in one is better than SRP and does not dust :thumbsup:

Autoglym is my favorite.. Easy on/easy off/amazing finish too....

:thumbsup:

I am still testing the durability of the Harly on mine with a single coat. It has been on about 2 months now and the car has been washed a few times and it still beads very well. Tried to test our new clay out last night using water as a lube, which was a bit of a pain as the water just ran straight off!

I will be applying a couple of coats of this on the GFs Aygo this weekend after a proper detail.

I notice you have a foam lance, which one did you go for? I will be investing in an Autobrite one soon, and we work closely with Autobrite selling their products. Have you tried them? I find their cherry glaze all in one is better than SRP and does not dust :thumbsup:

I have had several foam HD lances over the years currently using a Nilfisk Kew Alto with my P150 and it seems to be a good combination.!

Personally, I have issues with all in one products like cherry glaze that claim to clean/polish/restore/protect all in one. I have no need for such a product as I have individual products that will out perform this and I don't really want a product to do each of the stages everytime I use it! Not to say these don't have there place but just not in my detailing bag. I use AG SRP by hand for areas not accessible with a machine polisher such as under door handles which a prone to scratching. Like I mention in previous posts machine grade polish will out perform every time :yes: Dusting from polishing isn't a major problem, as I always wash down after a machine polish and prior to LSP..

Blue

Personally, I have issues with all in one products like cherry glaze that claim to clean/polish/restore/protect all in one. I have no need for such a product as I have individual products that will out perform this and I don't really want a product to do each of the stages everytime I use it! Not to say these don't have there place but just not in my detailing bag. I use AG SRP by hand for areas not accessible with a machine polisher such as under door handles which a prone to scratching. Like I mention in previous posts machine grade polish will out perform every time :yes: Dusting from polishing isn't a major problem, as I always wash down after a machine polish and prior to LSP..

Blue

Isn't that also what SRP clames to be?

"Internationally acclaimed, Autoglym Super Resin Polish is the ultimate easy to use combination cleaner, polish and sealant. Ideal for all types and colours of new or moderately deteriorated vehicle paintwork, including metallic, clearcoat and waterbased paint finishes.

Autoglym Super Resin Polish contains low molecular weight resins which provide exceptional cosmetic effect and protection from most environmental hazards. "

Also waht Snow Foam are you using?

Blue

Isn't that also what SRP clames to be?

"Internationally acclaimed, Autoglym Super Resin Polish is the ultimate easy to use combination cleaner, polish and sealant. Ideal for all types and colours of new or moderately deteriorated vehicle paintwork, including metallic, clearcoat and waterbased paint finishes.

Autoglym Super Resin Polish contains low molecular weight resins which provide exceptional cosmetic effect and protection from most environmental hazards. "

Also waht Snow Foam are you using?

Not sure matey, i've never read the sales/advetising bable before! I only use on a very rare occasion round door handles and so on. It's always performed very well for me in this respect and gets good reviews by other detailers. Never felt the need to replace it with another product for such little areas and at that rate my bottle will last for a very very long time :yahoo:

And which snow foam you using? heard so many mixed snow foam review I just do not know what to choose.

Should be ordering mine from Autobrite next month if the group buy is still on

I've tried many over the years such as pH neutral/citrus/BH but my favourite is Meguiars Hyper Wash :thumbsup: Great stuff, good value for money and I like using it as a shampoo also so ticks all the boxes for me :D

Can i put in a word for Greased Lightening showroom shine here it makes a wonderful intermediate polish between proper waxing as it is sooo quick to apply,if you havent got time to do a full wax job try this you can get a Rav done in 30 mins including glass which it is superb on and removes tar etc in a flash.You can get an idea from my pics in the photo thread.

Can i put in a word for Greased Lightening showroom shine here it makes a wonderful intermediate polish between proper waxing as it is sooo quick to apply,if you havent got time to do a full wax job try this you can get a Rav done in 30 mins including glass which it is superb on and removes tar etc in a flash.You can get an idea from my pics in the photo thread.

Just had a look as I had never really heard much about this prduct. Seems to be more a quick detailer/ waterless wash then a actual polish :wacko:

Can i put in a word for Greased Lightening showroom shine

Re: thread title - "Polishing wax" To be honest your better off buying a decent polish, spend time correcting paintwork then finish by applying a good quality wax to protect your work. I would steer clear of products claiming to do both, it will probably do both very poorly imo....'prepares to get flamed'..... :help:

Blue

All true but i have never used it as a wash,it does add the protection of carnuba wax and like i said it is a very good inbetween top up especialy in winter when you don't want to spend ages outside with your fingers freezing off.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links