Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Still Stuck With What To Do

Bong Water

Hi people

So my commute is about to get longer and involve motoray as I have a new job and the radio is really really starting to bug me so I want to be able to listen to MP3's

If my car didnt have the built in sat nav I would just rip it out and bin it but it does and i've only used it once since I bought the car, I just dont need it I would prefer a standard head unit but I cant be bothered with a cheap nasty rattly fascia

Heres some options, what would you do or what have you done?

1 : Rip it all out and get a new head unit and some Speakers, lose sat nav function which was a £1000 option and risk a shady fascia

2 : Get an X-Car link if one can be fitted to the OEM head unit (I think it can) and upgrade the Speakers and hope it sounds good enough, this retains the OEM look and keeps the sat nav

3 : Leave it as is, its not worth the hassle

Also, what Speakers are a direct fit that dont need modding and the standard grills will fit over them?

Thanks

I've got a connects2 USB + aux adapter, works a treat, would highly recommend it.

It tricks the headunit into thinking its a CD changer, so retains steering wheel controls.

How does that work and how much etc? How does it sound through the standard stereo?

Edit : Just looked on their website and its not compatible with NAV units :(

Something like this:

EBAY HERE

Oh no! how come? it should be compatible with the cd changer socket?

I'm not sure, it must be because the sat nav uses this mahoosive DVD drive under the passenger seat, it must plug in via the same socket or something

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, it's not a loop through type connector.

think the easiest way for you to get MP3's playing then, is a standard AUX adaptor (as they should be loop through type).

I have no idea what you just said :lol:

I thought that was the port that was in use by the DVD drive and thats why this connect2 USB adapter wont work and therefore neither will most others such as X-Link

put in a factory head unit with xcar link it works a treat . keep the sat nav for when you sell it.

Still cant decide what to do, I get tempted to sell it just because of this, might need a bigger car for my new job anyway

You can buy sat navs sooo cheap these days anyways, I'd be tempted to rip it out, stick in a decent HU and buy a nice little sat nav. :)

I know thats what i'm considering doing, it was such an expensive option though it would feel wrong to bin it, I definitely wouldnt go through the hassle of refitting when I come to sell the car, but the sat nav itself is so crap, I mean a massive DVD drive under the passenger chair for the maps and an LCD display! Its laughable

Anyone recomend somewhere in Manchester that does this type of thing?

Do you have a picture of your centre console with the headunit/sat nav attached, cos in all honesty it shouldn't be too hard to do yourself.

I'd keep the satnav and either sell it, or put it back in when u sell the car.

I dont have any pics but it looks no different to a normal headunit, just a few extra buttons

It would be much easier if I could just have an X-Link fitted, I think i'm going to send them an email and see if one can be fitted to a NAV unit although I doubt it

if it's the same as a normal 'rolla's headunit then it's a sinch to remove it IMHO, takes about 30-45mins to remove the centre console and fit the new stereo.

Maybe an hour on the first go if you're not too confident.

Unplug your sat nav dvd drive plug in an xcarlink to the socket,it should work. Reconnect when you sell it as said its not a difficult job.

XCarLink supply a Y adaptor for an extra £13 so the DVD drive and XCarLink can be fitted at the same time

Looks like i'm sorted, is there a walk through anywhere on how to remove the stereo?

Thanks

Fitaudio do one!

No way thats awesome thanks alot. Where can I get a pressure tool or is there something around the house I can get away with IE a very thin screw driver etc?

I used a steel ruler to disengage the clips and a small screwdriver to pop it up (at the same time)

just be very careful as on the fourth time of me taking my centre console out (I've done a lot of things behind there) I scratched the rubber :(

also if you don't have the automatic air con the process will be slightly different.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links