Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turning Off Auto Locking

peterbalcombe

Call me old fashioned but please this auto-locking thing is driving me nuts. Please, please can I turn it off easily. The manual is as clear as mud. I don't want the car to automatically lock when it reaches a certain speed. I do want to be able to be able to pull into the pavement to let someone in with the engine running and not have to remember to press a button to let them in. I live in Norfolk on the fringes of Norwich, not Basra or Beirut or even the dodgier parts of Birmingham and so do not feel any great danger which would necesitate locking people out when I am in the car. Rather I should want them to be able to do so easily e.g to rescue me and passengers in the event of an accident or similarly to let passengers escape. I don't normally carry children and therefore have no great need of child locks (but would expect to be able to easily enable this facility if ever needed).I want to be able to control the locking or unlocking of doors, not to have the decision made for me. I have happily driven for 44 years without self locking and should like to carry on doing so for whatever driving years I have left.

My car is a 2009 2.2 D4D T4 tourer.

Sorry to rant but this is automation one step too far.

Peter

If you are involved in any accident where the air bags deploy, all doors will be unlocked automatically to assist in any rescue efforts needed to get you out of the car.

Its basically an extra security feature, and probably helps to keep your premiums lower.

I know its not to everyone's taste, but pressing a button to let someone in is no where near as bad as being car jacked out of the blue.

That said, if its anything like the VAG cars, it should be easy to turn on or off at a dealers simply by changing the binary code on that module.

Gove the dealer a ring, i'm sure they will be happy to help you out. :thumbsup:

The same auto locking facility annoyed me too so I turned it off. The instructions are in the handbook and are somewhat ambiguous but if you stick at it I am confident that you will get the correct order of button pushes and turn the locking thing off for yourself. Don't get the dealer to do it for you as it is a DIY job.... be patient and you will win through.... good luck :thumbsup:

I also posted a topic on the same subject but didnt get any help from members here but i found the answer on another site . The manual implys that you turn the ignition to the on position and hold the unlock button down for 5 seconds to turn off the auto locking , but strangely if you do the opposite and hold the lock button for 5 seconds this disables the auto locking .

:thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Had my car a week now and the door locking is doing my head in. I've tried the manual instructions of, turning on the ignition and within 10 seconds holding down the lock button for 5 seconds to dissable the auto locking but it still locks itself. When I take the key out, only the two front doors unlock. As the nearest dealer is not exactly on my door step, does anyone have a clue how to sort this out.

A bug in an otherwise great car.

Without having the car manual to hand I can't remember exactly what it says, but I recall it was slightly wrong. But the method about holding the lock/unlock button for 5 seconds after starting the ignition does work for two different features.

The first function is to turn on/off the auto-lock when reaching a certain speed feature.

The second function is to turn on/off the feature where opening the drivers door does/doesn't unlock passenger doors. This was doing my head in because as VMC says, the back doors are locked by the auto-lock but not unlocked by opening the drivers door by default.

Each of the features work on a toggle basis i.e. following the sequence once will turn the associated feature on, follow it again and it will turn the associated feature off. I honestly cannot remember which is done by the lock and which is done by the unlock button (or rather two ends of the same button) but I recall in the manual the text for both features both said the same button - but crucially the accompanying pictures were correct!

Sorry to be so woolly but I did this when I got my car a few months ago, and having got it sorted I'm not going to go mess my locking up now....

Thanks for the replies guys. I have tried all combinations of ignition, lock and unlock buttons and doors still lock automatically then only the fronts open when removing the key.

Looks like a trip to the dealers next week:-(

All sorted. Had a fiddle while wating for wife outside the supermarket yesterday.

This may take a bit off arm manipulation.

With ignition turned off and all doors closed, press and hold down lock button.

Turn on the ignition within 10 seconds and keep the button pressed for at least 5 seconds.

The auto locking should now be turned off. This is opposite procedure to the vehicle handbook.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

MAN this is fustrating me :censor:

no matter what I do nowt happens... from my understanding the car locks and unlocks to let you know the code has gone in ok... well mine does nowt.

I have the car turned off,

Doors are closed and in the unlocked possition

I lock the doors by pressing the door locked button on the drivers side.

Within 10 seconds I push the stop/start button twice to get the dash bord lights on and at the same time I am depressing the door lock button for a furhter 5 seconds aaaaaand nothing and... nowt happens, I drive off and hey presto at around 20mph the !Removed! doors lock :censor:

:censor: :censor: :censor: :censor:

Pulling the rest of me hair out :wacko:

• 1 month later...

hello everyone,

i have the opposite here...I wished to have this option switched on at my avensis 2007 (to lock all doors when reached certain speed), i think my model do not have this option which is great.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links