Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lights On Dash Please Help

ma1lik

Hi Guys, its been a while since i last been on here thankfully the car has been running sweet since the flywheel issue however i new problem has just flashed up on the dah and is just really confusing everyone!

I took the car for a diagnostic at Toyota and they said the lightas were on due to the alternator needing replacing.

they quoted $450 quid to do the job!!!

I took it to a local electic guy and he said he cant find any issue with the alternator, i took it to another guy and he said the same thing alternator is fine.

Does anyone have any bright sparks, if not does anyone know of any reputable independent in East/North London or Essex?

Your help would be greatly appreciated..

Rav 4 2001 D4D

BTW.

Thanks

post-25471-0-34965300-1300999470_thumb.j

Hi and good evening.

On that age RAV, I'd maybe start guessing at things like Battery connections and alternator connections loose or corroded; earth strap loose or corroded; really just the simple things.

maybe water getting into the fuse box down at the passenger footwell???

£450 for an alternator is a total joke though... but you know that you don't need one.

Being Scottish, I suppose I should fall about laughing at whether theres anyone reputable in the London area, but then I'm a simple loving soul trying hard not to be too cheeky....

Find an auto-electrician who can check the electrics, or maybe one of our Essex friends will pop up to help?

Good luck in finding a cheap solution.

Hi Guys, its been a while since i last been on here thankfully the car has been running sweet since the flywheel issue however i new problem has just flashed up on the dah and is just really confusing everyone!

I took the car for a diagnostic at Toyota and they said the lightas were on due to the alternator needing replacing.

they quoted $450 quid to do the job!!!

I took it to a local electic guy and he said he cant find any issue with the alternator, i took it to another guy and he said the same thing alternator is fine.

Does anyone have any bright sparks, if not does anyone know of any reputable independent in East/North London or Essex?

Your help would be greatly appreciated..

Rav 4 2001 D4D

BTW.

Thanks

hello mate

have a look on the clock -- you ve been notified to drain water from your fuel filter + have you changed it before?.

ARe the RPM stable and not play at idle?

Cheers/Igor

Thanks guys i'll try and do a check tommorow. Botherwell_buyer your right when she quoted that amount i was in shock but i guess that what you get from a main dealer :)

Your right about a decent garage in London, its like finding a virgin in a brothel :D

Igor those three lights came on together, the dealer siad they were all related to the alternator, but thanks for pointing that out ill have a look at it tommorow anyway whilst im doing the other stuff. The car idles fine no problems whatsoever , The Battery is fine to in terms of the alt not charging it so it all seems to be pointing to stuff which Botherwell_buyer pointed out.

I dont mean to sound daft or anything but do any of you guys think it could be worth replacing the drive belt?

Thanks for your help lads

Thanks guys i'll try and do a check tommorow. Botherwell_buyer your right when she quoted that amount i was in shock but i guess that what you get from a main dealer :)

Your right about a decent garage in London, its like finding a virgin in a brothel :D

Igor those three lights came on together, the dealer siad they were all related to the alternator, but thanks for pointing that out ill have a look at it tommorow anyway whilst im doing the other stuff. The car idles fine no problems whatsoever , The battery is fine to in terms of the alt not charging it so it all seems to be pointing to stuff which Botherwell_buyer pointed out.

I dont mean to sound daft or anything but do any of you guys think it could be worth replacing the drive belt?

Thanks for your help lads

hello

you can easy inspect this belt to have no cracks etc, but the alternator's outcome must be 13.9 V or so and can also be measured by multitester. It is still not clear why only three lights related to an alternator but not others ?

Cheers/Igor

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys just to let you knwo the problem has been fixed... :) it was the wiring there was a break in the wiring if i recall correctly from the alt to the ecu. Well its all done know no more lights.

Thanks for your help

Glad you got it fixed? can I ask how much you paid for this repair.

Also good to see Toyota steelerships on the ball again. :angry:

To be fair, some are OK :thumbsup:

Hi Guys just to let you knwo the problem has been fixed... :) it was the wiring there was a break in the wiring if i recall correctly from the alt to the ecu. Well its all done know no more lights.

Thanks for your help

Good. Sometimes we look to hard for a fault when its just something simple.

I experienced a 1989 Jaguar which was an auto-electricians dream ! The whole car needed re-wiring due to poor quality connectors. Ended up it was easier just to sell it to an un-suspecting dealer !

Thanks for your help

I experienced a 1989 Jaguar which was an auto-electricians dream ! The whole car needed re-wiring due to poor quality connectors. Ended up it was easier just to sell it to an un-suspecting dealer !

Lol, I think sometimes these dealers need a taste of their own lol... I’m slightly annoyed that the main dealer was adamant it was the alternator that needed replacing and quoted me £450!!!!!

Btw it cost slightly more than I anticipated £220... The problem I had was everyone I took it to could not figure out what the issue was and this guy was the only one who seemed to know what he was talking about.

Nice Guys based in Essex Reighly Westfield Motors, even though I paid slightly more than I would have liked to, I would recommend these guys as they seem very professional lol.

When I went to pick up the car the guy stopped what he was doing to come over and pull out all his diagrams to show me what had happened and where he had replaced the wiring which I guess gives you piece of mind knowing it hasn’t been molested by a cowboy :)

So a big thumbs up to Westfield motors and I guess this means ill be keeping the car for another year or so after which im due a healthy upgrade on my Rav...

Thanks guys :)

YNWA……

Thanks for your help

I like your style!!! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links