Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Coolant Change

HowardL

Has anyone change the coolant and flushed the system, is there any pitfalls or difficulties.?

Mine has to be changed at 100,000 miles...

I still have 83,000 miles to go!

:thumbsup:

Iv done this on my t sport, it should be a similar process on your 1.3. Its easy eough to do, firstly set your heater settings inside the car to warm and then remove the radiator cap (DO NOT DO THIS WHISLT THE COOLANT IS HOT!) Then you may need to jack up the car to access the bottom of the radiator. To drain the coolant you can either undo the little tap at the bottom of the radiator or remove the bottom hose. Once all the coolant has drained, tighten the tap or replace the hose making sure everyting is secure. Then fill the radiator with coolant, this can take quite a while. Whilst doing this, squeeze the coolant pipes coming from the radiator to encourage the coolant to fill as much of the cooling system as possible. Once the radiator is as full as possible, fill the expansion tank (the clear coolant tank) to the Maximum mark and close the cap, again squeeze the coolant pipes to help fill the rest of the system. The next part is up to you, but some people will consider it unsafe, i then start the engine with the radiator cap off and allow the coolant to circulate around the system. the reason i do this is to help eliminate any air blocks that might have formed in the system. If you do it this way it is important not to let the coolant get so hot that it comes bubbling out of the radiator!! After a few minutes top up the radiator and replace the cap. (If you dont want to do it my way, replace the radiator cap before running the engine). Continue to run the engine untill the cooling fan kicks in, its best to sit inside the car whilst you wait so you can keep your eye on the engine temperature (make sure the red coolant light doesnt come on) also making sure warm air is coming from your heating vents. Once the fan has started, allow the engine to run for a couple more minutes, then stop the engine and allow everyting to cool down. Check for any leaks at this point. Once everything has cooled down, top up the radiator and expansion tanks, you might want to repeat this process a couple of times to make sure of no air blocks. jobs a good en!! Hope this helps and isnt to confusing!

Ok thanks, but, I was always told not to mix anti freeze, as I dont know what make of anti freeze is in the system I have read it is best too flush the engine with the thermostat out, did you not do that?

Take the RED Coolant from MR T that needs to be changed evry 100.000 miles

That what i use . BUT DON,T MIX IT WITH something else

Ok thanks, but, I was always told not to mix anti freeze, as I dont know what make of anti freeze is in the system I have read it is best too flush the engine with the thermostat out, did you not do that?

No, i just used the red coolant from Toyota, its premixed so no need to struggle getting the correct concentration. If you want to flush the system, its best just to fill it up with water and then drain. Theres no real need to remove the thermostat. U'll struggle to remove every last drop anyway

You will not be abble to get al the coolant out ( only when the engine is out for a rebuild )

But that doesn,t matter .

when i change the coolant and the last drops are coming out i start the engine for a few seconds zo the waterpomp can put a little bit more of the engine BUT JUST FOR A FEW SECONDS !!!

Than close the system again and fill her up , start the engine and let it get WARM , fill the tank as wel and afther 1 night check the tank and when nescesary fill it to the "full Level " again

Any idea how much a garage would cost for coolant change#?!

Aint got a clue mate but I doubt if it was too much as it wont take long to do, I want to try doing it myself first.

I know I'm going on a bit about it but, as I'm dropping all the water and decided to flush the system do I have to undo the drain plug on the engine block ( I'm Worried of shearing the thing off) as I will disconnect the bottom hose on the rad, wont all the water come out of the bottom hose anyway?

You could remove the Drainplug from the engineblock , but when the car is a few years old it could break :huh:

i allway,s drain the radiator on the underside with the little crane , i never flush a engine , just put in the new coolant olso new coolant in the overflowpot when the engine is could afther 1 night ill check the Overflowpot again fill it to the Upperlevel again

Dont bother removing the bottom hose, you will just end up with coolant everywhere. Use the drain tap (thats what its there for)

Keep the cap on the expansion bottle too (this will pull the coolant from there too)

If you want to drain the majority of coolant loosen the drain tap on the front of the engine block (never had one snap at work)

When refilling just take it easy pouring it in, let the air bubble out etc. When you have most of the system full just start the engine and keep filling until the system is full. Make sure the fan kicks in when it up to temp, roadtest it and rechsck level.

Also TOYOTA red coolant isnt longlife coolant. It is the PINK coolant that is 10yrs/100,000 miles.

Oh, we charge coolant price plus 0.5 labour + VAT

Mart

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links